• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lasith Malinga

Malinga...

• a great in the making

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • a good player

Votes: 28 52.8%
  • kinda average

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • poor

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It was just a throwaway figure, TBH - as I also mentioned, bowling-actions play a huge part.

cover drive man

International Captain
Don't think I've told anyone here but I bowl like Malinga I think it's more comfortable and provides more speed than the traditional method.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He means that for most people, an action like that would mean you'd struggle to hit the cut strip.

So how are you doing with your Malinga-action?

cover drive man

International Captain
He means that for most people, an action like that would mean you'd struggle to hit the cut strip.

So how are you doing with your Malinga-action?
Well ever since I've played cricket I've bowled in a malinga style action. I thought I was doing a normal action but I had terrible trouble with Simple things like line and length until one day my dad made a video of me showing me what I was doing wrong I saw I had a action like Malinga. Everyone said I should get rid of it and I did for about to weeks and I got my line and length. I then started to develop my speed and the malinga action came back. Now I have my line and length and I'm developing speed. I'm doing good.:)

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Doubt it's just the pace that leads to pain. Fast bowling can be very strenuous and it can take a toll on your body, even if you only bowl in the 70s for example.
Indeed. Shaun Pollock has commented in the past that his not bowled pain free since he was 19 years old. Shoaib's action is indeed the more demanding (hindered by his very dodgy knees) but it also comes down to the individual and Pollock is more than content to go through series playing with pain. Not an off season goes by where Pollock does not have some sort of surgery and his action is supposedly ‘metronomic’ and ‘pain’ free.

cover drive man

International Captain
That Malcolm Marshall bloke was a giant I heard.
I think you're thinking of Joel Garner he was massive. Looking at old videos of the great fast bowling attack of the west Indies in the 1980's he had awesome speed and he was huge. He is definately one of the greatest speed bowlers ever. And a main part to the west India squad of the 1980's. My dad looked up to him as a kid.

Beleg

International Regular
I truly do believe that Malinga is the brightest young prospect in the game at the moment, and certainly the most exciting one, a step ahead of Shaun Tait and the Johnson dude.

Athlai

Not Terrible
From the poll and the general perspective I've gotten from this thread,
Malinga is good, he might be a great one day.
Maybe.

Thank you CW.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Yeah, I'd go along with the notion that Malinga is at the moment, and probably will be a more successful bowler than Tait, he has much, much more accuracy, about 7-8 mph less pace, and iirc a shade less swing.