• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Government stops Zimbabwe tour

LA ICE-E

State Captain
AT LAST! A Government with a but of guts and backbone! (Unlike our pathetic (and soon to be ex thank god) PM Blair who like Howard didn't want our cricketers to go there, but unlike Howard, said he couldn't order them not to) - this from the guy that's banned fox hunting and is going to ban people from smoking in pubs. It seems like the Aussies have a far better PM as well as a far better cricket team than us - if they ever vote him out could they send him here?
Isn't it kind of dictator like to stop a tour for happening by ordering?

Matt79

Global Moderator
Isn't it kind of dictator like to stop a tour for happening by ordering?
Not when he's said consistently that he doesn't want to order it, but is doing so because CA will get a big fine that goes to Mugabe's pocket if he doesn't. And tbf, he's requested it. If CA turned around and said that they really wanted to go, he'd let them - but Howard knows that they don't want to go, but have no other workable alternative to get out of it.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
As someone else said, Howard shouldn't have to act like a dictactor, but he's got no choice if he wants to save CA or his own tax payers the cost of a fine. As for Mr Blair, if George W Bush had said the England cricket team shouldn't go to Zimbabwe I'm sure he'd have banned them then!!:laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm not, TBH. And that's before we even get to Bush's distaste for Zimbabwe being far smaller than it has any right to be.

Chubb

International Regular
I'm not a John Howard fan by any means, but he did the right thing. I wish our government would do the same and show the ICC up for the amoral pack of scumbags they are. That ZANU idiot just unintentionally damns the whole sorry mess of the government. It's just a stroppy little kid's reaction.

Nishant

International 12th Man
its a good decision TBF....there is no need to risk the safey of the players at all. But also, they have to make sure they dont insult zimbabwe too much...i.e by making them play in a neutral venue.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It seems like the Aussies have a far better PM as well as a far better cricket team than us - if they ever vote him out could they send him here?
Genuine lol @ that.

Don't judge a Prime Minister's reign in power over their ban on Zimbabwe, I think there's a bit more than that.

That being said, I'm happy with this decision.