• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

SS is unspeakably sad

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
So sad that he has started referring to himself in the third person.

In any case, I am looking around and all I see is a barren landscape when it concerns great fast bowling. With the retirement of McGrath, for the first time in perhaps 40 years, there is not an all time great fast bowler operating anywhere in the world. Everytime I watch a crap batsman plonk his front foot down and drive the ball down, I throw up
a little bit in the mouth. My favorite cricket memory in the short time I've been watching cricket live was that spell by Flintoff in the Ashes. And I was supporting Australia at the time! None of Sachin's innings, or various great spin bowling performances by Warne and Murali give me half as much pleasure as a fast bowler beating the bat time after time, and a genuinely quality batsman standing there clueless, hoping the barrage ends.

So my question is this: Who is most likely in the next ten years to be that guy? With McGrath, I feel my best hope of watching that favorite type of cricket has gone.

And second question, what was the best spell of fast bowling that you have ever witnessed live? I've heard and read and watched on tape the things like Hadlee's nine wicket haul, Botham's Ashes, and Ambrose 7-1, but unfortunately all were before I was born. The only genuine great fast bowler since I've started to appreciate cricket has been McGrath (perhaps why I am so infatuated with him ;)), and I only caught the tail ends of Walsh, Ambrose, Wasim, Waqar, Donald, etc.

So fill this thread with your memories and your predictions for the future, and make me a happy man!

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Saj Mahmood. Liam Plunkett, Chris Tremlett

The future's bright, the future's English

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Live meaning in the flesh at the ground watching the game? or live meaning watching it in realtime on television?

EDIT- I also wouldnt put Walsh in the same category as Ambrose, Wasim, Waqar, Donald

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
And second question, what was the best spell of fast bowling that you have ever witnessed live? I've heard and read and watched on tape the things like Hadlee's nine wicket haul, Botham's Ashes, and Ambrose 7-1, but unfortunately all were before I was born. The only genuine great fast bowler since I've started to appreciate cricket has been McGrath (perhaps why I am so infatuated with him ;)), and I only caught the tail ends of Walsh, Ambrose, Wasim, Waqar, Donald, etc.
When you say live, do you mean live as being present on the ground or even watching live on TV will do ?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Live meaning in the flesh at the ground watching the game? or live meaning watching it in realtime on television?

EDIT- I also wouldnt put Walsh in the same category as Ambrose, Wasim, Waqar, Donald
Live as in real time on television, or at the ground.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
We still got Malinga running around, you will be ok.

Amazing spells, i've seen quite a few from Ambrose, Donald, Akram, Younis all live well on TV atleast. Mind you i usually don't remember the matches too often. The last really good spell i saw was Asif against Sri Lanka, where he was getting the ball to do whatever he wanted. That spell kind of reminded me of McGarth at his best. I think the thing is there are still a few fast bowlers out there that are capable of bowling some amazing spells. No one who looks close to being great, but quite a few say McDermott-ese. But then again McGarth came from no where to be where he is now, so you never known. Maybe Amersinghe is the man. :D

Fusion

Global Moderator
I watched some of Imran's legendary feats live, but was much too young to really appreciate it. I have been fortunate to see most of Wasim's career while I had developed a good understanding of the game. Off the top of my head it's brilliant moments, rather than entire spells, that jump out. Wasim's over to Rahul Dravid at Chennai in 1999. The four wickets in five balls against WI (would've been 4 in 4 had a catch not been dropped). The two hat tricks against SL. Or the two devastating balls he bowled to Lamb and Lewis in the '92 WC. The man was simply a genius on the field.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
1. Imran 8 for 60 at Karachi vs India 1982

1. Kapil 8 for 85 in the same series at Lahore

3. Kapil at Chennai vs Pakistan 1979

4. Donald in a spell against England. I cant recall when. He dd not get a HUGE haul of wickets but the bowling was terrifying.

5. John Lever at Delhi , I think in 1975

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
SS, i am also feeling pretty sad as i realise that i won't ever be able to see Pidge bowl again. Without Pidge cricket world would never be the same again, but this day had to come and like all greats he also had to bid goodbye to this game, though the memories that he gave to all his fans are good enough to cherish for a life-time.

GOODBYE PIDGE!! WE WILL MISS YOU.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Of those I have seen live at the ground, Imran stands out as appearing almost unplayable.

pup11

International Coach
Er... SJS, SS is talking about the best spell you have seen from a fast-bowler so you can't include Murali and H.Singh in your list.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Of those I have seen live at the ground, Imran stands out as appearing almost unplayable.
You were at the ground in Karachi watching the game? How was the experience? Were there many other Indian supporters there?

viktor

State Vice-Captain
1. Imran 8 for 60 at Karachi vs India 1982

1. Kapil 8 for 85 in the same series at Lahore

3. Kapil at Chennai vs Pakistan 1979

4. Donald in a spell against England. I cant recall when. He dd not get a HUGE haul of wickets but the bowling was terrifying.

5. John Lever at Delhi , I think in 1975
Donald v Atherton? One of the greatest cricketing duels.
Also Akram v Sachin, Chennai 1999 was awesome.

Ofcourse 6/42 Adelaide was the best of them all..

Last edited:

Shoggz

School Boy/Girl Captain
One of my earliest cricketing memories is watching Bob Willis steaming in to bowl in Australia's second innings in THAT test in 1981.

It's difficult to remember how good and flamboyant a bowler Willis was, with his mad hair and arms seemingly flapping in unison as he ran in, when you see that dour character on Sky now!