• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian team was ‘divided’

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/293560.html

Hardly extraordinary 'news' and the claim regarding sponsorship driven selection is scarcely surprising given the vast amounts of cash pumped into team India but its intriguing nevertheless.

Although, I have some sympathy with Greg Chappell, for who wouldn’t get fed up with Virender Sehwag and Harbhajan Singh, considering their laissez-faire attitudes are not particularly appealing when your team is got its backs to the wall.

Comments?

pup11

International Coach
The news hardly comes as a suprise to me, as the Indian team is full of ego-maniacs.

Now its very easy to put most of blame on Chappell's shoulders now since he is no longer a part of the Indian set-up.

But the real issue is when these selectors know that players like Ganguly and Tendulkar have created factions within the team and haven't supported Dravid, then why are they still so keen on selecting them to play for India.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tell me something I don't know.

Sehwag and Harbhajan are pathetic, there are more with similar attitudes to them, but they are the worst.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
It was no secret and it is surprising that these guys are still in the team.

pup11

International Coach
The pathetic part of all this is that it took a sting operation for all these selectors to disclose all this stuff.

I mean if there is an attitude problem among certain Indian players then just chuck them out of the side and let the whole world know what they really are all about.

But then i guess Chappell just didn't call them the "Mafia" for nothing, this is really a shame for Indian cricket.

Booooo.... Boooo........

pup11

International Coach
Its just not only about there being different factions in Indian team.

This operation has also revealed that how big companies influence selection (to get their contracted player(s) in the team).

How players bat slowly so that they can spend more time on the crease and demand more money from their sponsors (Ganguly's slow knocks against Bermuda and Bangladesh are being looked at with suspicion by the BCCI).

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
But then i guess Chappell just didn't call them the "Mafia" for nothing, this is really a shame for Indian cricket.
Chappell wasn't much of a saint either, so please do reserve a word or two of Shame for him too. Even for Chappell it took a demand for his resignation to call Indian Seniors as 'Maafia' otherwise he was happy to play along and just too happy to milk BCCI.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Chappell was no saint but I feel sorry for him, having to deal with this ****e. I'd have kept him on and given him the powers to clean house as he saw fit.