• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why is everyone so against 20/20?

headhunter

International Vice-Captain
i dont know much about cricket but im just wondering why so many people on this webside hate 20/20?

Langeveldt

Soutie
They aren't.. I'd have said the majority were for it, not sure where you get that idea from.. Unless there are multiple me's knocking about

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
T20IBS....

Most people don't seem to like it, looking forward to the Twenty20 World Championship, with all the bashing the games are going to take from members. Should be interesting.

headhunter

International Vice-Captain
T20IBS....

Most people don't seem to like it, looking forward to the Twenty20 World Championship, with all the bashing the games are going to take from members. Should be interesting.
yeah so am i it should be something different an will make for good cricket

Flem274*

123/5
I'm looking forward to it too. Crickets cricket, I love it all. If I had my way with the NZ side though I'd use 20/20 as a training ground for young talent. Just my opinion though.

Matt79

Global Moderator
To be fair, even those of us who self-identify as 20Twenty haters will probably be interested in the WC, but certainly won't really care who wins etc. This has been debated at length before - have a look for a thread called something like "20Twenty is boring!" if you can be bothered. To summarise the case against it by those who dislike it: by shortening the game so much and making rules that favour the batsman so much, you get a game that only tests some of the skills traditionally prized in batsmen, and a game where fewer surprising shifts in momentum occur, and that the non-stop smashing of the bowling has a desensitising effect and quickly becomes boring without those elements.

The argument in favour would be that it is a fun, acccessible version of the sport that's drawing in new fans, its non-stop action, and that if you must have a shorter version of cricket than Test cricket, its a more "pure" version than the more established 50-over a side one-day cricket format.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Most of the haters are from Australia or NZ, the countries that have the least exposure to Twenty20.

In general terms:

They basically don't know what they're talking about and reinforce each others bulldust - it's like a vicious circle of brainwashing where they're not independent or bright enough to judge the format for themselves properly. It's a human nature thing unfortunately and has led to events in the past when obviously evil ideas from a leader of a country were backed by a high proportion of the population. The arguments don't stem from logic or common sense, just hatred and propaganda. Twenty20 hatred is similar to that - tho the original hatred comes from the human nature dislike of change or progress.

The hatred will pass eventually.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Most of the haters are from Australia or NZ, the countries that have the least exposure to Twenty20.

In general terms:

They basically don't know what they're talking about and reinforce each others bulldust - it's like a vicious circle of brainwashing where they're not independent or bright enough to judge the format for themselves properly. It's a human nature thing unfortunately and has led to events in the past when obviously evil ideas from a leader of a country were backed by a high proportion of the population. The arguments don't stem from logic or common sense, just hatred and propaganda. Twenty20 hatred is similar to that.

That's a certainly a fair and balanced assessment of the situation... 8-)

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

In general terms:

They basically don't know what they're talking about and reinforce each others bulldust - it's like a vicious circle of brainwashing where they're not independent or bright enough to judge the format for themselves properly. It's a human nature thing unfortunately and has led to events in the past when obviously evil ideas from a leader of a country were backed by a high proportion of the population. The arguments don't stem from logic or common sense, just hatred and propaganda. Twenty20 hatred is similar to that - tho the original hatred comes from the human nature dislike of change or progress.

8-)

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
To answer your question that you first asked. The main reason why people don't like Twenty20 cricket, is due to over kill of the format that seems to be taking place. People were happy with one off matches to start a series or tour. A World Cup/Championship is many people eyes is just over the top.

Some people are afraid that Twenty20 will take the place of ODI cricket. Many people believe there not enough room for all three formats and one has to go. With the potential extra money Twenty20 can raise it might reduce the number of Test matches and ODIs for more Twenty20 matches. I doubt this will ever happen personally, but i see nothing wrong with a couple extra Twenty20 matches instead of the boring 7 match ODIs, worse thing that ever happen to cricket IMO. But if there is limit to those series, there also might be more 2-Test Match series. The more Twenty20 Cricket, is likely to mean the less ODIs and Test unforuntely, or either some ridicoulous player burn outs, with too many matches. There are ways to have all three with a decent schedule, but the boards are too concerned with money to consider player burn outs.

The other issue is the nature of the games, and believe that the games are too batter oriented. A lot of matches seem one sides and over within 30 overs, there hasn't been many matches at International level that have gone the full distance. Also there a believe that the matches are very similar. They all seem to follow the same pattern and there much variety in the matches.

The other factor is the use of bowl off to decide matches. This is dire i have to admitt. Rather a tie any day of the week.

Personally I still think Twenty20 has its place in cricket. But i would be surprised if the boards and ICC don't kill it in the search for more money and quick money.

I think that answered your question, maybe.

Flem274*

123/5

In general terms:

We're sorry Scaly, I bow down to England the worlds greatest superpower, may Mother England ans more importantly Scaly Piscine rule forever.

End sarcastic rant.

Athlai

Not Terrible
We're sorry Scaly, I bow down to England the worlds greatest superpower, may Mother England ans more importantly Scaly Piscine rule forever.

End sarcastic rant.
Why shucks, I thinks some of us kiwi's might be a liking the twenty twenty a bit too.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
TBF two season of domestic action and a fair few International Twenty20 matches is a decent amount of coverage. Last season Twenty20 probably got more TV coverage then the Ford Ranger Cup.

Also in NZ they were the first ones to have a version of game in Max Cricket. It was four lots of 10 overs, but really the English just copied the idea like they do with most sports, they claim to have developed.