• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Inovations...

LA ICE-E

State Captain
I just read it somewhere that coaches communication with the captain by a earpiece was banned. Why? I think that's a good thing kind of like the QB and the coach in football. And since the new strategies and game plans are still passed on to the player by other players and assistant coaches during breaks etc why is banned? just to make it harder?

Also regarding the squash ball, how far should the limit be or should there be a rule that says all innovations have to get cleared by the ICC(but will be kept confidential between the ICC and the team/player) before being used on the field.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I just read it somewhere that coaches communication with the captain by a earpiece was banned. Why? I
Betting and Fixing (which actually can mean small things like who will bowl when) was a major concern though never openly stated.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Betting and Fixing (which actually can mean small things like who will bowl when) was a major concern though never openly stated.
But it would be only used to communicate between the coach and the captain/batsmen.

They let captains/batsmen use earpieces to talk with the commentators in 20/20I so how is being able communicate with the coach any different? When a coach gets involved in match mixing scandal that's when everyone needs to stop watching cricket.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
But it would be only used to communicate between the coach and the captain/batsmen.

They let captains/batsmen use earpieces to talk with the commentators in 20/20I so how is being able communicate with the coach any different? When a coach gets involved in match mixing scandal that's when everyone needs to stop watching cricket.
Well no one knows for sure who all were actually involved and never will. There is nothing that tells me that somehow a coach is above all this.

Once corruprion seeps into an edifice, the rot spreads into any and every crevice.

pasag

RTDAS

Yeah but that's a gimmick that adds to the circus atmosphere of 20/20s, you can't bring a proof from a joke version of the game onto the real stuff either. WRT to SJS's post, I believe there were theories going around at the time with the Cronje issue that it could have been bookmakers on the other end of the line.

Anyways, it wouldn't be that effective either imo, firstly coaches in cricket are different from those in football, basketball obviously, in the way they control the team and the power they have. A captain in cricket is much more aligned to a coach in football, basketball, whereas the coach in cricket is really just the head of the support staff. So I don't know how much they can contribute on the field anyways. There would be some benefits obviously, but nothing special.

But most importantly, even though I'm not one of those people who hate change, this change would be too much and would change major the aspects of the game and there really is no need for it. Cricket is cricket and it's a beautiful game on its own that doesn't need much changing. Talking Tests here of course, don't really care with regards to ODIs or 20/20s though.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
well you see see coaches analyzing the game etc on their laptops as it keeps going so if the current game plan isn't working and the coach figures out something else then if it was used they could just give them the new game plan instead of the coaches at least waiting for sometime before the message gets to the players. Also if it was fear of being involved in match fixing, then the ICC could have just recorded the talks/radio waves between the earpieces that was being used in the field but they wouldn't listen to it unless talks of match fixing came in which they would be able to go back and see what was being said.

shortpitched713

International Captain
I could care less what the MCC says on the matter tbh. They're the traditional keepers of the laws of cricket, but afaic the real authority on such matters would be the ICC.

Edit: If that's not the case then its pretty dire.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
I wouldn't mind something like earpieces being allowed...but I can't really see that it would be of much benefit.

LA ICE-E

State Captain

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I could care less what the MCC says on the matter tbh. They're the traditional keepers of the laws of cricket, but afaic the real authority on such matters would be the ICC.

Edit: If that's not the case then its pretty dire.
MCC are custodians of the Laws, nothing else. I$C$C make them - or rather, those thought most suitable to sit on panels drawn-up to review them do.