• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would you rather have?

Who would you rather have?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pasag

RTDAS
I'm actually not capable of sleep in between hours that I find it feasible that someone might sign into MSN, which posed a problem during the WC as I couldn't sleep during regular sleep hours either. I'll have plenty of time to sleep when I'm dead, I guess. :p

Now, could someone get this thread back on track so I don't feel so bad about ruining it?
Yeah, I'll make a thread in OT.

Matt79

Global Moderator
That's the mature thing to do, for sure.

Back On-Topic:
Bowlers are only there so we can watch batsman. ;)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
On topic, Ponting for Tests, Murali for ODI.
I would have said the reverse.

Ponting can bat for 30 overs and have a bigger impact than Murali can in his ten as bowler in an ODI.

A test match needs bowlers who will help getting the 20 wickets needed to win the match and Murali is the man. ODI's can be one without getting many wickets as long there are Pontings to outscore the opposition.

speirz

State Vice-Captain
I would have said the reverse.

Ponting can bat for 30 overs and have a bigger impact than Murali can in his ten as bowler in an ODI.

A test match needs bowlers who will help getting the 20 wickets needed to win the match and Murali is the man. ODI's can be one without getting many wickets as long there are Pontings to outscore the opposition.
I went for Murali in ODI's to stop the runs, getting 2/30 every game is better than the 0/50 most other spinners get, and Murali is invaluable during the powerplay overs. With the tests, it'd probably depend on the wicket a bit as well, but Ponting's fielding and captaincy got him over the line for me.

The_Bunny

State Regular
I went for Murali in ODI's to stop the runs, getting 2/30 every game is better than the 0/50 most other spinners get, and Murali is invaluable during the powerplay overs. With the tests, it'd probably depend on the wicket a bit as well, but Ponting's fielding and captaincy got him over the line for me.
If Murali could get 2 for 30 on average in Odi's I would go for him every time..
But he averages more like 1.6 for 40:)

Matt79

Global Moderator
Wow, its a leprechun invasion in here. Welcome guys...

:holiday:

(Note: I deplore the lack of a decent Irish/leprechun smiley...)

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Who would you rather have on your cricket team? The world's best batsman (Ponting)? The world's best fast bowler (Ntini, I suppose)? The world's best spinner (Murali)?

Now that McGrath has retired from cricket, this might be a hard choice.
Seriously though, ignoring my Moreism which only a select few will get (not forgetting you this time, Speirz) and the fact that I couldn't resist but vote for SS, I'd have Murali from the options listed. As has been noted, a good bowler will have much more effect on a match than a batsman of equal quality. Even ignoring the fact that a good batting team with poor bowlers will bring draws while a good bowling team with poor batsmen could well bring wins anyway, a good bowler will generally be much more reliable than a good batsman anyway - a top class bowler will bowl well much more regularly than a good batsman will score heavily due to the fact that a batsman can be dismissed cheaply after just one eatly mistake. There's also the fact that the number of batting resources in a team is higher than that of bowling resources, so a good bowler is making up a larger percentage of high quality in a side than a good batsman.

A much harder decision for me would be a poll consiting of Kallis, Pollock, Murali and Flintoff. Starting a team from scratch, a top class allrounder like Kallis, Pollock or Flintoff could well be more valuable than a genuinely top notch bowler - especially players like Pollock and Flintoff who are world class bowlers in their own right. I'd have probably still gone with Murali, but it would have been closer.
That's what I was going to say. I'd take a world class all-rounder in form with bat and ball over a top batsman or bowler