• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest batsmen of modern time - vote

Greatest Batsmen of modern time?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

grant28

School Boy/Girl Captain
i voted for ponting, most consistent, even though the other day i was praising lara and sachin and i thought they were better than ponting

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Made An Error On - Rahul Dravid, Not Rahud
You spelt Tendulkar wrong too, ftr. And define 'modern time.' Current players? Last 10 years? Since WWII?
Assuming you're talking about current players, Kallis should definitely be there, as with Yousuf.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Its impossible to be objective in a vote where one or more of the candidates is at his peak at the current time while one or more of the others are well past their prime.

The best time for conducting such a poll (comparing these four) would be ten years from now :)

Matt79

Global Moderator
Said Tendy, but could easily have been Lara. Ponting can't be judged against those two until he's nearer the end of his career. And Rahud Dravid isn't a patch on his brother Rahul, let alone the other three in the poll.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Three of them are still playing, but of all them upto this moment in time: Lara.

But I do believe in a few years Ponting will overtake them all.

pup11

International Coach
Ponting is easily the greatest in the modern times on his current form, Lara is a wizard [or now we should say he was] and Tendulkar is a genius.

But Ponting has been unbelievably consistent over the last 3 years, even Lara and Tendulkar were not as consistent as Ponting when they were at there peak.

You can always say that Ponting never had to face the Aussie attack, but still his achievements are mind-boggling.

Flem274*

123/5
When did Ponting come in? If he scored well against the evil Pakistan attack of the 90's and the nastier WI one, then he's probably better. I suppose we could analyse records against current top bowlers as well but really I'd take any of those guys if they were on offer to play for my team.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I assume the poll means 'current' players, in which case, Lara is no longer eligible. If it means 'modern' era, than guys like Waugh, Border, Sir Viv should all be here.

And so should Kallis, though I have a feeling it would come down to Sachin, Lara and Viv.