• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest batsmen of modern time - vote

Greatest Batsmen of modern time?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Ponting is easily the greatest in the modern times on his current form, Lara is a wizard [or now we should say he was] and Tendulkar is a genius.

But Ponting has been unbelievably consistent over the last 3 years, even Lara and Tendulkar were not as consistent as Ponting when they were at there peak.

You can always say that Ponting never had to face the Aussie attack, but still his achievements are mind-boggling.
Consistency doesn't equate to greatness.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Dravid - and I'll use this Test as a reason why:
http://cricketweb.net/statsspider/test/1808.php
Could Lara, Tendulkar or Ponting play innings like that on a bowler's pitch to win a low scoring Test? And remember Ponting doesn't have to face Australia's bowlers...
I actually do think that was the best set of innings that Dravid has played in his career. I have that match taped, and the pitch was absolutely insane. It is amazing how well he was able to do on it. But Lara's 153 was magnificent.

pup11

International Coach
Yeah i was talking about Ponting being consistently great over such a long period of time.

If consistency doesn't mean greatness then why do we all rate the man with the average of 99.96 as the greatest batsman to ever play the game, because a players greatness is of no use if he isn't performing consistently and justifying his greatness.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Harsh for those claiming Dravid isn't fit to be with Lara, Sachin and Ponting. Have people actually realised just how good Dravid has been for so long now (his away record is ridiculously good), or are they simply judging him on his style compared to the other 3 more dominant batsmen?

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
I am surpised that so many people think Ponting has passed both Lara and Tendy already.
People going a lot by current form imo. If you asked people who was the greatest batsman around in say, 98/99, I think you'd get a majority of votes for Tendulkar, similar with Lara in 94/95.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
If consistency doesn't mean greatness then why do we all rate the man with the average of 99.96 as the greatest batsman to ever play the game, because a players greatness is of no use if he isn't performing consistently and justifying his greatness.
Consistency was one of the many things that made Bradman great. I don't deny that consistency is a must-have factor when it comes to being great, but we rate Bradman as the best for other reasons as well.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
A lot of people see Tendulkar and Lara as virtually on par with each other, or a miniscule separation. People who believe that Ponting has surpassed that level will all vote for Ponting [the number of which would be inflated by recollection of recent performances, TBH] while those who don't think that Ponting is up to that level will have their vote split between Tend. and Lara, hence Ponting winning the vote at the moment.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Yeah what's with this guy, apart from having the best Username ever, he seems to have an SS fetish going on :ph34r: