View Poll Results: Is spin bowling a dying art in modern day cricket?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 27.08%
  • No

35 72.92%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is spin bowling a dying art in modern day cricket?

Is spin bowling a dying art in modern day cricket?

There are a lot of countries in world cricket that already don't have a decent spinner in their team, and with Warney having already retired and Murali and Kumble nearing retirement the art of spin would lose its sheen.

There are hardly any young exciting prospects around in world cricket atm, who you can say could be the next big spinner of their generation like a Murali or a Warne.

So is the art of spin slowly but surely dying?

Sadly yes.I was @ trials for a team.And I was the only spinner.
    Well the Irish did it on St Patrick's day

Rip Fardin Qayyumi, Bob Woolmer and Craig.
    No offence Neil
    "No good thing ever dies." Andy Dufresne. The Shawshank Redemption.
    "Don't interupt the emeny when they're making a mistake" Napoleon

Not sure it was ever really alive, one could argue that Murali and Warne were merely anomalies. I don't know, but voted No for that reason.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

I really don't blame young kids not wanting to be a spinner, because everything nowadays is so heavily loaded in favour of batsmen that its very difficult to survive as a spinner.

The bats have become ridicously good, the boundaries are getting smaller so even the miss-hits of spinners are also going for 6's and 4's and the test matches hardly go into 4th or 5th day when the pitch is most suitable for spin bowling.

Orthodox finger spin certainly is, in a few years the only orthodox finger spinners in Test cricket will be playing as primarily batsmen - except for England, who'll still be wasting their time with a guy who'll be averaging 35+ with the ball.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Voted yes, I'm not really sure why though.

Breakout Champion!
    As long as there's Tadpole, no.

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    Yes, Murali and Warne just shaded it for a while. Things are probably going to get worse for spinners before they get better. Pitches with turn would be the only solution.
    Proud 2nd member of GM-OLAS
    Honorary Assistant Vice-President and Inquisitor General of T2IBS (Twenty-20 is Boring Society)

Fraz highlights the defining aspect of Shoaib's legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    Those humanitarian works etc ?
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    I feel Tendulkar's association with the money minting exploitation of cricket fandom by certain varying commercial interests tarnishes his greatness a tad.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    As Gelman said - quality wristspinners are an extreme rarity. Look at the 1970s and 1980s - there were virtually no particularly good spinners around then, either. Since covered pitches fingerspin has only tended to be much use in the subcontinent, and Warnes are usually once-in-two\three-generation type bowlers. Muralis, of course, would be an oxymoron - there is only one Murali, and it's likely to stay that way.

So until whenever the next Warne is, I see spin outside the subcontinent being a rare commodity. It's not a case of spin "dying", just going dormant for a while. As I say - the same thing happened in the 1970s and 1980s - covered pitches were always going to do that. It's pretty remarkable that Murali happened around the same time as Warne, along of course with one of the best spinners ever to emerge from the subcontinent (Kumble), plus the the first occurance of regular Doosra-bowlers (Saqlain and Harbhajan).

The notion that such a thing as that was sustainable is a crazy one.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by pup11 View Post
    There are a lot of countries in world cricket that already don't have a decent spinner in their team, and with Warney having already retired and Murali and Kumble nearing retirement the art of spin would lose its sheen.

There are hardly any young exciting prospects around in world cricket atm, who you can say could be the next big spinner of their generation like a Murali or a Warne.

So is the art of spin slowly but surely dying?
    Bangladesh got some young exciting prospect spinners. And so does Sri lanka i'm pretty sure.
    Last edited by LA ICE-E; 06-05-2007 at 06:57 PM.

As we all know three highest wicket-takers in test cricket history are all spinners (1.warne 2.Murali 3.Kumble {he is yet behind McGrath but he would soon overtake him to become 3rd highest wicket taker in test cricket history} ).

So obviously spinners hold an important place in today's era too, but the next generation of spinners around in world cricket don't look capable to follow the foot-steps of these 3 great spinners.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    I feel sorry for whomever has to follow up Murali. Warne at least has MacGill, who while not Warne, is still a very good spinner. And his loss is mititgated by the fact that Australia are still a fantastic team without him. Without Murali...SL will really hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

I read it on cricinfo that Murali isn't going to quit for atleast 2 more years so I think they'll come up with a good spinner in that time.

Quote Originally Posted by LA ICE-E View Post
    I read it on cricinfo that Murali isn't going to quit for atleast 2 more years so I think they'll come up with a good spinner in that time.
    Lara and Warne said similar things iirc and shortly after retired. With Murali he could go at any time and it wouldn't surprise me. After he breaks the record though.

Cricket has just had one of it's strongest spinners' eras in history so it's inevitable that will be a decline in standards once Murali and Kumble follow Warne into retirement.

However, as, for example, Oz has shown, with no less than 5 spinners gaining central contracts, a lot is being done to ensure that serviceable test spinners are developed

Others, such as SA, are developing training centres devoted specifically to spin whilst the conveyor belt out of the sub-continent is not likely to stop any time soon

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information