• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is spin bowling a dying art in modern day cricket?

Is spin bowling a dying art in modern day cricket?

• Yes

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • No

Votes: 35 72.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pup11

International Coach
There are a lot of countries in world cricket that already don't have a decent spinner in their team, and with Warney having already retired and Murali and Kumble nearing retirement the art of spin would lose its sheen.

There are hardly any young exciting prospects around in world cricket atm, who you can say could be the next big spinner of their generation like a Murali or a Warne.

So is the art of spin slowly but surely dying?

pasag

RTDAS
Not sure it was ever really alive, one could argue that Murali and Warne were merely anomalies. I don't know, but voted No for that reason.

pup11

International Coach
I really don't blame young kids not wanting to be a spinner, because everything nowadays is so heavily loaded in favour of batsmen that its very difficult to survive as a spinner.

The bats have become ridicously good, the boundaries are getting smaller so even the miss-hits of spinners are also going for 6's and 4's and the test matches hardly go into 4th or 5th day when the pitch is most suitable for spin bowling.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Orthodox finger spin certainly is, in a few years the only orthodox finger spinners in Test cricket will be playing as primarily batsmen - except for England, who'll still be wasting their time with a guy who'll be averaging 35+ with the ball.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Yes, Murali and Warne just shaded it for a while. Things are probably going to get worse for spinners before they get better. Pitches with turn would be the only solution.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As Gelman said - quality wristspinners are an extreme rarity. Look at the 1970s and 1980s - there were virtually no particularly good spinners around then, either. Since covered pitches fingerspin has only tended to be much use in the subcontinent, and Warnes are usually once-in-two\three-generation type bowlers. Muralis, of course, would be an oxymoron - there is only one Murali, and it's likely to stay that way.

So until whenever the next Warne is, I see spin outside the subcontinent being a rare commodity. It's not a case of spin "dying", just going dormant for a while. As I say - the same thing happened in the 1970s and 1980s - covered pitches were always going to do that. It's pretty remarkable that Murali happened around the same time as Warne, along of course with one of the best spinners ever to emerge from the subcontinent (Kumble), plus the the first occurance of regular Doosra-bowlers (Saqlain and Harbhajan).

The notion that such a thing as that was sustainable is a crazy one.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
There are a lot of countries in world cricket that already don't have a decent spinner in their team, and with Warney having already retired and Murali and Kumble nearing retirement the art of spin would lose its sheen.

There are hardly any young exciting prospects around in world cricket atm, who you can say could be the next big spinner of their generation like a Murali or a Warne.

So is the art of spin slowly but surely dying?
Bangladesh got some young exciting prospect spinners. And so does Sri lanka i'm pretty sure.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
As we all know three highest wicket-takers in test cricket history are all spinners (1.warne 2.Murali 3.Kumble {he is yet behind McGrath but he would soon overtake him to become 3rd highest wicket taker in test cricket history} ).

So obviously spinners hold an important place in today's era too, but the next generation of spinners around in world cricket don't look capable to follow the foot-steps of these 3 great spinners.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I feel sorry for whomever has to follow up Murali. Warne at least has MacGill, who while not Warne, is still a very good spinner. And his loss is mititgated by the fact that Australia are still a fantastic team without him. Without Murali...SL will really hurt.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
I read it on cricinfo that Murali isn't going to quit for atleast 2 more years so I think they'll come up with a good spinner in that time.

pasag

RTDAS
I read it on cricinfo that Murali isn't going to quit for atleast 2 more years so I think they'll come up with a good spinner in that time.
Lara and Warne said similar things iirc and shortly after retired. With Murali he could go at any time and it wouldn't surprise me. After he breaks the record though.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cricket has just had one of it's strongest spinners' eras in history so it's inevitable that will be a decline in standards once Murali and Kumble follow Warne into retirement.

However, as, for example, Oz has shown, with no less than 5 spinners gaining central contracts, a lot is being done to ensure that serviceable test spinners are developed

Others, such as SA, are developing training centres devoted specifically to spin whilst the conveyor belt out of the sub-continent is not likely to stop any time soon

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
There never has been much of a tradition in some countries for a large pool of spin bowlers. Newzealand, South Africa, West Indies are prime examples.

Australia, India, Pakistan have been the countries with a strong tradition for long. England lost wrist spinners long back but continued with finger spin and even that has almost vanished as far as real quality is concerned for many years now. Sri Lanka has not had any really great proponents except the incomparable Murali.

So one would say that of late the spin pool in the world has been richer than poorer compared to, say, twenty years ago. Vetori brings a much better option than Newzealand has had for so very long.

Having said that, retirement of Murali and Kumble which must come following Warney will naturally crate a HUGE void. It would have been difficult to fill in the best of times.

I think the biggest concern is that India is not showing any great young talent emerging. This is not surprising, however. The emphasis on one day cricket and the sudden craze/effort for 'creating' faster bowlers (which is great were it not so half-hearted and disjointed). India needs a spin bowler academy as badly as it needs a fast bowlers one but the latter has been in existence for nearly two decades now and the other continues to be on the drawing board. This inspite of having available for guidance three of the greatest spinners in living memory.

Australia seems to be the only country with a balanced approach and hence results in this regard.

Other than that one is not sooo pessimistic. I just hope Monty meets with some big success on a consistent basis if we have to see the beginning of a revival in England.

A disappointment is the continued neglect of spinners as an attacking as well as defensive option in limited overs game by so many countries. I suspect, England, NZLand and South Africa suffer from this besides Windies who have a greater dearth.

A sidelight but strange observation is the relatively poor standards of fielding amongst bowlers in general and spinners in particular. Why do they appear so slow and laid back on the field? The exceptions are, by and large though not always, those who are not masters of the art of spin. Is it true or am I imagining things ?

Isura

U19 Captain
SJS,

You're not imaging the thing about the poor fielding of spinners. Panesar, Harbajan, Kaneria to name a few are dreadful fielders. But Aus have had Warne's great slip fielding, and Hogg is good in ODIs. Murali and Warne are the exceptions, and I suppose Kumble is okay too.

Flem274*

123/5
Spin bowling isn't dying out IMO. We have Vettori, Patel and maybe Nathan McCullum will be used in the future. Aus have MacGill, Hogg and a few others coming through. No idea about England though they do have two of international standard. WI have this Mohhamed guy that I've heard alot about but no one has actualy seen. The subcontinent of course, is a spin bowling factory.

pasag

RTDAS
Spin bowling isn't dying out IMO. We have Vettori, Patel and maybe Nathan McCullum will be used in the future. Aus have MacGill, Hogg and a few others coming through. No idea about England though they do have two of international standard. WI have this Mohhamed guy that I've heard alot about but no one has actualy seen. The subcontinent of course, is a spin bowling factory.
MacGill and Hogg are both 36 though, they won't be around for too much longer tbh.