• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your country's all time ODI and test teams?

Flem274*

123/5
Sorry if this has been done before, but I though it would be interesting to see what everybody thinks each country's all time test and ODI teams would be.

For an NZ ODI team I would pick;

John Wright
Glenn Turner (not sure if he played ODI's)
Nathan Astle
Martin Crowe
Roger Twose
Chris Cairns
Richard Hadlee
Brendan McCullum
Dipak Patel/Daniel Vettori
Shane Bond
Geoff Allot/Ewen Chatfield(only with better fielding)

The test team is alot harder, though Bert Sutcliffe is an obvious inclusion. John Wright, Glenn Turner and Mark Richardson would be top order musts as well.

So what's your all time teams?

Fiery

Banned
Sorry if this has been done before, but I though it would be interesting to see what everybody thinks each country's all time test and ODI teams would be.

John Wright
Nathan Astle
Martin Crowe
Roger Twose
Chris Cairns
Richard Hadlee
Brendan McCullum
Shane Bond

The test team is alot harder, though Bert Sutcliffe is an obvious inclusion. John Wright, Glenn Turner and Mark Richardson would be top order musts as well.

Turner was a very good ODI player. Played 41 games averaging 47. He innovatively hit and chipped over the infield to add another string to his bow. Cricinfo is great for checking things like this that you're not sure about mate. Vettori much > Patel btw but that's a pretty good team you've got there.

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I wouldn't say that Mark Richardson is a must, I think he only played 30 odd Test matches for New Zealand.

Matt79

Global Moderator

John Wright
Nathan Astle
Martin Crowe
Roger Twose
Chris Cairns
Richard Hadlee
Brendan McCullum
Shane Bond

No Flem?

Perm

I'd have him in there for John Wright.

Wright averages 26 with only one century, at a strike rate of less than 60. Not good enough to make an All-Time XI.

Flem274*

123/5
:laugh: I wanted to, trust me. I couldn't justify it ahead of those other guys though.

On the Openers for the tests, here are the figures;

Richardson; 38 tests, 2776 runs @ 44.77, HS 145, 4 100's, 19 50's and not a bad bowling average.:laugh:

Wright; 82 tests, 5334 runs @ 37.82, HS 185, 12 100's, 23 50's

Turner; 41 tests, 2991 runs @ 44.64, 7 100's, 14 50's

Hard choice, Probably Turner and Wright because of experience, but Richardson and Turner on results. Richardsons only 35 apparently, why did he retire? Not as though there was much competition for his spot.

Flem274*

123/5
I'd have him in there for John Wright.

Wright averages 26 with only one century, at a strike rate of less than 60. Not good enough to make an All-Time XI.
:-O oops. Astle to open then, Crowe to three and Fleming to four.

Perm

:laugh: I wanted to, trust me. I couldn't justify it ahead of those other guys though.

On the Openers for the tests, here are the figures;

Richardson; 38 tests, 2776 runs @ 44.77, HS 145, 4 100's, 19 50's and not a bad bowling average.:laugh:

Wright; 82 tests, 5334 runs @ 37.82, HS 185, 12 100's, 23 50's

Turner; 41 tests, 2991 runs @ 44.64, 7 100's, 14 50's

Hard choice, Probably Turner and Wright because of experience, but Richardson and Turner on results. Richardsons only 35 apparently, why did he retire? Not as though there was much competition for his spot.
You named an ODI team in your top post, I think that is what he was talking about. Richardson retired because he wasn't enjoying the game anymore I don't think, he was only about 31 or 32 if I remember correctly.

Flem274*

123/5
You named an ODI team in your top post, I think that is what he was talking about. Richardson retired because he wasn't enjoying the game anymore I don't think, he was only about 31 or 32 if I remember correctly.
It's a shame, he was a great opener for us. I didn't care how slowly he got the runs as long as we got them.

Perm

It's a shame, he was a great opener for us. I didn't care how slowly he got the runs as long as we got them.
He wasn't great, but he was a good opener. However, given his lack of ability in ODI cricket I doubt he would've been too happy with playing less than 5 Test's a year in order to make a living.

Flem274*

123/5
He wasn't great, but he was a good opener. However, given his lack of ability in ODI cricket I doubt he would've been too happy with playing less than 5 Test's a year in order to make a living.
Very true. Hope we get some more test cricket soon. I love ODI's, but tests are awesome. Hopefully Justin Vaughan can bully the ICC into giving us more.

Perm

Very true. Hope we get some more test cricket soon. I love ODI's, but tests are awesome. Hopefully Justin Vaughan can bully the ICC into giving us more.
I really don't think it's the ICC who are to blame, NZC have to take some of the wrap for not wanting to schedule Test matches.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
  1. Vijay Merchant
  2. Sunil Gavaskar
  3. Rahul Dravid
  4. Sachin Tendulkar
  5. Vijay Hazare
  6. Kapil Dev
  7. Vinoo Mankad
  8. Syed Kirmani
  9. Amar Singh
  10. Mohammad Nissar
  11. Bhagwat Chandrasekhar

You can swap Bedi or Kumble if the Test is in India, Chandrashekhar if its away.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
For Aus:
Test:
Ponsford
Trumper
Bradman
Chappell
Harvey
Miller
Gilchrist