Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 139

Thread: Your country's all time ODI and test teams?

  1. #61
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Clutha Valley, New Zealand
    Posts
    21,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    McCullum = Smith, Smith/McCullum > Lees
    Smith and McCullum are both better than Lees by quite a margin IMO. I rate Smith above McCullum at the moment, although that will likely change.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

  2. #62
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,381
    I have a gut feeling that McCullum will be our best keeper ever. He's been in the side a while and still has alot of years to come. I must admit I didn't think he was much when I first saw him but now I think he is as good as any.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

  3. #63
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,381
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cheese View Post
    My New Zealand test team:
    1. Turner
    2. Wright
    3. Jones
    4. Crowe
    5. Sutcliffe
    6. Fleming (c)
    7. Cairns
    8. McCullum (wk)
    9. Vettori
    10. Hadlee
    11. Bond
    12th man: Richardson (very close call)
    The four bowler look was mainly because i don't think another NZ bowler deserves to be in there.
    Fleming at six? That would be interesting.

    I've had Dion Nash in my mind for a bit now, but I don't know who to drop in my 11 to bring him in.

  4. #64
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Clutha Valley, New Zealand
    Posts
    21,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I have a gut feeling that McCullum will be our best keeper ever. He's been in the side a while and still has alot of years to come. I must admit I didn't think he was much when I first saw him but now I think he is as good as any.
    He was quite a poor wicket keeper early in his career, but that aspect of his game has improved markedly. I have no doubt he'll be our best ever, because his prowess with the bat will surpass Smith, even though Smith was a better gloveman.


  5. #65
    International Captain Swervy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Posts
    7,360
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    McCullum = Smith, Smith/McCullum > Lees
    Warren lees had a better tache though
    rave down, hit the ground


    MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

  6. #66
    Global Moderator Matt79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colll----ingggg---woooooodddd!!!!
    Posts
    17,426
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    Ponting's average is already > 10 better than Harvey's and he's scored far more runs. Ponting would have to go into a serious slump spanning years for his average to become lower than Harvey's
    You right re the average - although in all likelihood Ponting's average will significantly decline before he retires - I'd predict he'll end with an average around 53. And given how badly he'd have to slump, he would likely be dropped before it reached the high 40s. If it doesn't that will be brillant and I'd love for that to be the case, because then he WILL have established he's the best since Braddles. But at the moment, its a case of comparing a player at his absolute peak to the overall career, including the declining years, of another player.

    And although I don't subscribe to the Richard et al argument that achievements in this period mean little because of poor bowlers and benign pitches, in a direct comparison of this type Harvey deserves credit for playing in an era of uncovered and matting wickets against genuine greats like Alec Bedser, Fazal Mahmoud, Brian Statham, Fred Trueman, Wes Hall, Laker, Lock, etc etc etc. There's an account I remember of the Aussies playing Pakistan on a matting wicket that hadn't been properly tightened and fastened, so was coming loose. Unsurprisingly Mahmoud was lethal in these conditions with his accuracy, swing and ability to make the ball cut when it could find purchase. Harvey was the only Aussie in an otherwise pretty handy team to be able to deal with the conditions. Now, Ponting can only do what he can do, in terms of the opponents and conditions he has to compete in, and he's performed absolutely brilliantly but he's certainly had generally more benign conditions. If, as I predict, at the end of his career the difference in average is more like 4 or 5, rather than 10, then I think different factors like that become pretty relevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

    Is Cam White, Is Good.

  7. #67
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    You right re the average - although in all likelihood Ponting's average will significantly decline before he retires - I'd predict he'll end with an average around 53. And given how badly he'd have to slump, he would likely be dropped before it reached the high 40s. If it doesn't that will be brillant and I'd love for that to be the case, because then he WILL have established he's the best since Braddles. But at the moment, its a case of comparing a player at his absolute peak to the overall career, including the declining years, of another player.

    And although I don't subscribe to the Richard et al argument that achievements in this period mean little because of poor bowlers and benign pitches, in a direct comparison of this type Harvey deserves credit for playing in an era of uncovered and matting wickets against genuine greats like Alec Bedser, Fazal Mahmoud, Brian Statham, Fred Trueman, Wes Hall, Laker, Lock, etc etc etc. There's an account I remember of the Aussies playing Pakistan on a matting wicket that hadn't been properly tightened and fastened, so was coming loose. Unsurprisingly Mahmoud was lethal in these conditions with his accuracy, swing and ability to make the ball cut when it could find purchase. Harvey was the only Aussie in an otherwise pretty handy team to be able to deal with the conditions. Now, Ponting can only do what he can do, in terms of the opponents and conditions he has to compete in, and he's performed absolutely brilliantly but he's certainly had generally more benign conditions. If, as I predict, at the end of his career the difference in average is more like 4 or 5, rather than 10, then I think different factors like that become pretty relevant.
    I think Ponting is excellent. The standard of bowling today is'nt THAT bad either. Bond, McGrath, Malinga, Murali, Jones, Pollock, Harmison when he bowls straight etc

  8. #68
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Clutha Valley, New Zealand
    Posts
    21,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    You right re the average - although in all likelihood Ponting's average will significantly decline before he retires - I'd predict he'll end with an average around 53.
    I get the feeling he will slay these mediocre attacks repeatedly, hence I think this average will be above 60 when he retires.

  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Whangaparaoa, Auckland
    Posts
    10,872
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    You right re the average - although in all likelihood Ponting's average will significantly decline before he retires - I'd predict he'll end with an average around 53. And given how badly he'd have to slump, he would likely be dropped before it reached the high 40s. If it doesn't that will be brillant and I'd love for that to be the case, because then he WILL have established he's the best since Braddles. But at the moment, its a case of comparing a player at his absolute peak to the overall career, including the declining years, of another player.

    And although I don't subscribe to the Richard et al argument that achievements in this period mean little because of poor bowlers and benign pitches, in a direct comparison of this type Harvey deserves credit for playing in an era of uncovered and matting wickets against genuine greats like Alec Bedser, Fazal Mahmoud, Brian Statham, Fred Trueman, Wes Hall, Laker, Lock, etc etc etc. There's an account I remember of the Aussies playing Pakistan on a matting wicket that hadn't been properly tightened and fastened, so was coming loose. Unsurprisingly Mahmoud was lethal in these conditions with his accuracy, swing and ability to make the ball cut when it could find purchase. Harvey was the only Aussie in an otherwise pretty handy team to be able to deal with the conditions. Now, Ponting can only do what he can do, in terms of the opponents and conditions he has to compete in, and he's performed absolutely brilliantly but he's certainly had generally more benign conditions. If, as I predict, at the end of his career the difference in average is more like 4 or 5, rather than 10, then I think different factors like that become pretty relevant.
    You know your cricket...good to see. It is very hard to compare players of different generations so fair enough if you rate Harvey higher. In picking an all-time team I would still go with Ponting.

  10. #70
    Global Moderator Matt79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colll----ingggg---woooooodddd!!!!
    Posts
    17,426
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I think Ponting is excellent. The standard of bowling today is'nt THAT bad either. Bond, McGrath, Malinga, Murali, Jones, Pollock, Harmison when he bowls straight etc
    Not calling them mediocre, they're all good-to-very good. But none of them apart from Murali and MAAAYBE Bond, when he's fit and if you judge on what-might-have-been, fall into the all-time great category. (Remembering he hasn't had to bat against McGrath).

    Bedser and Mahmoud on uncovered or matting wickets are as lethal bowlers as there have ever been. Statham and Trueman are England's all time best fast bowling partnership by some distance.

    I rate Ponting, currently, at #6 for Australian batsmen: Bradman, Chappell, Harvey, Border, S. Waugh, Ponting. That's still placing him ahead of many many greats. And he has the opportunity to raise himself higher in my eyes still in the years of his career that are left to him.

    For the purpose of selecting the XI, besides the fact I think he's better overall anyway, the fact that Harvey is the only left hander in my top six makes a difference as well.

  11. #71
    International Coach howardj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    12,803
    Tests
    Morris
    Trumper
    Bradman
    Chappell
    Ponting
    Miller
    Gilchrist
    Davidson
    Warne
    Lillee
    McGrath

    Honourable mentions to Lindwall, Border and Harvey.

  12. #72
    Global Moderator Matt79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colll----ingggg---woooooodddd!!!!
    Posts
    17,426
    Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    I get the feeling he will slay these mediocre attacks repeatedly, hence I think this average will be above 60 when he retires.
    I don't think they're mediocre, I think they're good, but not really 'great'. And I hope he does exactly what you say.

  13. #73
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Not calling them mediocre, they're all good-to-very good. But none of them apart from Murali and MAAAYBE Bond, when he's fit and if you judge on what-might-have-been, fall into the all-time great category. (Remembering he hasn't had to bat against McGrath).

    Bedser and Mahmoud on uncovered or matting wickets are as lethal bowlers as there have ever been. Statham and Trueman are England's all time best fast bowling partnership by some distance.

    I rate Ponting, currently, at #6 for Australian batsmen: Bradman, Chappell, Harvey, Border, S. Waugh, Ponting. That's still placing him ahead of many many greats. And he has the opportunity to raise himself higher in my eyes still in the years of his career that are left to him.

    For the purpose of selecting the XI, besides the fact I think he's better overall anyway, the fact that Harvey is the only left hander in my top six makes a difference as well.
    Fair enough, isn't it nice to be able to leave someone of the calibre of Ponting out of the all time team?

  14. #74
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Clutha Valley, New Zealand
    Posts
    21,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Not calling them mediocre, they're all good-to-very good. But none of them apart from Murali and MAAAYBE Bond, when he's fit and if you judge on what-might-have-been, fall into the all-time great category. (Remembering he hasn't had to bat against McGrath).
    Bit harsh on Pollock there IMO. He had declined over the last few years but is still one of the greatest fast bowlers. A lesser version of McGrath.

  15. #75
    Global Moderator Matt79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colll----ingggg---woooooodddd!!!!
    Posts
    17,426
    Yeah, fair enough. Overall he'd be a great, but for much of Ponting's career, he's only been very very good.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •