• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your country's all time ODI and test teams?

sideshowtim

Banned
I don't understand how Ponting couldn't be included in any Aussie All-Time Test XI really....his record speaks for itself. And it's not as if the quality of bowling he has faced has been awful. And he always scores big just when it's needed...

pasag

RTDAS
I don't understand how Ponting couldn't be included in any Aussie All-Time Test XI really....his record speaks for itself. And it's not as if the quality of bowling he has faced has been awful. And he always scores big just when it's needed...
Well, no-one saying he's bad obviously. But can he lay claim to one of say two or three positions in a side when one is already spoken for (Bradman)? You are aware that there's been over a hundred years of rich Australian cricket history that's gone on before your time so I don't understand how you could not understand how Ponting might not be in an all-time XI especially with the likes of Harvey, Chappell, Waugh etc competing. Quite perplexed by this comment actually.

Flem274*

123/5
Martin Donnelly, Stewie Dempster, Bruce Taylor and Jack Cowie should all be pushing for places. The only thing against them (except maybe Taylor) is the fact that they played stuff all tests. Their first-class records are superb, and they also were excellent in the few tests they played (Dempster averages 65 from his 10 tests ffs!!).
Read a bit about Cowie today actualy. Bradman out for nine!

Turner
Wright
Jones (where's that bloody Tewwy Bwindle!?!:laugh: )
Dempster?
Suttcliffe
Cairns?
Smith
Hadlee
Cowie
Bond/Bartlett
Petherick

Last edited:

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Read a bit about Cowie today actualy. Bradman out for nine!

Turner
Wright
Jones (where's that bloody Tewwy Bwindle!?!:laugh: )
Dempster?
Suttcliffe
Cairns?
Smith
Hadlee
Cowie
Bond/Bartlett
Petherick
Dempster was an opener for NZ. Think he batted 4 for whichever county he played for though. Oh and Bond>Bartlett definately. Bartlett I think is our quickest bowler ever, but his record doesn't compare to bowlers like Bruce Taylor, Chris Cairns etc. Vettori>>>>Petherick as well, despite his test hat-trick on debut.

And you don't have Martin Crowe in that XI.

Beleg

International Regular
Pakistan

ODI's:

Saeed Anwar
Aamir Sohail
Zaheer
Yousuf
Inzamam
Miandad
Moin Khan
Wasim Akram
Saqlain Mushtaq
Waqar Younis
Shoaib Akhtar

Tests:

Anwar
Hanif
Zaheer
Inzamam
Miandad
Imran
Bari
Akram
Younis
Fazal
Akhtar

Matt79

Global Moderator
Not worth including any spinners in the test team? Surprising when you have guys the quality of Saqlain or Abdul Qadir to pick from...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Australia has a very long & wonderful history of Test cricket....

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
  1. Morris
  2. Hayden
  3. Bradman
  4. Chappell
  5. Waugh/Haryey/Border/Ponting
  6. Miller
  7. Gilchrist
  8. Davidson
  9. Warne
  10. Lillee
  11. McGrath

Probably my Aussie side.

a massive zebra

International Captain
England

Tests

Jack Hobbs (cpt)
Len Hutton
Walter Hammond
Dennis Compton
Ken Barrington
Ian Botham
Alan Knott (wk)
Wilfred Rhodes
Jim Laker
Fred Trueman
Sydney Barnes

12th Man: WG Grace

ODIs

Nick Knight
Marcus Trescothick
Graeme Hick
Kevin Pietersen (cpt)
Neil Fairbrother
Alec Stewart (wk)
Andrew Flintoff
Ian Botham
Darren Gough
Bob Willis
Derek Underwood

12th Man: Paul Collingwood

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
NZ TEST
1. John Wright
2. Glenn Turner
3. Bert Sutcliffe
4. Martin Crowe
5. Bevan Congdon
6. Chris Cairns
7. Sir Richard Hadlee
8. Ian Smith
9. Daniel Vettori
10. Shane Bond
11. Ewen Chatfield

NZ ODI
1. Nathan Astle
2. Glenn Turner
3. Stephen Fleming
4. Martin Crowe
5. Roger Twose
6. Chris Cairns
7. Sir Richard Hadlee
8. Brendon McCullum
9. Daniel Vettori
10. Shane Bond
11. Geoff Allott

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
West Indies

Test:

Gordon Greenidge
Desmond Haynes
Viv Richards
Brian Lara
George Headley
Garfield Sobers
Jeffrey Dujon
Malcolm Marshall
Curtly Ambrose
Joel Garner
Courtney Walsh

ODI:
Desmond Haynes
Gordon Greenidge
Viv Richards
Brian Lara
Ramnaresh Sarwan
Chris Gayle
Carl Hooper
Ridley Jacobs/Jeff Dujon
Malcolm Marshall
Curtly Ambrose
Joel Garner
Michael Holding/Courtney Walsh

Honourable mentions to the the 3 Ws in Tests and Chanderpaul in ODIs.

adharcric

International Coach
Just forget about Walcott and Worrell. Weekes has a shot if Lara opens instead of Haynes. Otherwise, Richards-Lara-Headley is awesome.

EDIT: Holding > Walsh in the test side as well. Imagine that attack: Marshall, Ambrose, Holding, Garner ...

Last edited:

Beleg

International Regular
Yeah I'd have thought Saqlain would be a shoe-in for any Pakistan ODI side.
I believe in choosing the best possible team - Saqlain Mushtaq, talented as he was, isn't among the top five bowlers produced by Pakistan. Nor is any other spinner, for that matter.

In any case, Saqlain is there in my side...

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
No place for any of the three W's in a West Indies side ?
Just forget about Walcott and Worrell. Weekes has a shot if Lara opens instead of Haynes. Otherwise, Richards-Lara-Headley is awesome.

EDIT: Holding > Walsh in the test side as well. Imagine that attack: Marshall, Ambrose, Holding, Garner ...
Headley gets in ahead Weekes because of the circumstances under which he was playing. May have a shout about Haynes though. Walsh is in because he has more wickets at a better average and gives the attack something different. He wasn't as flashy a bowler as Holding though but you can't get those figures without being awesome.

Fiery

Banned
NZ TEST
1. John Wright
2. Glenn Turner
3. Bert Sutcliffe
4. Martin Crowe
5. Bevan Congdon
6. Chris Cairns
7. Sir Richard Hadlee
8. Ian Smith
9. Daniel Vettori