• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your country's all time ODI and test teams?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
For Sri Lanka in Tests -

Sidath Wettimuny
Sanath Jayasuriya
Aravinda De Silva
Roy Dias
Kumar Sangakkara
Arjuna Ranatunga (Captain)
Amal Silva (wicket Keeper)
Chaminda Vaas
Rumesh Ratnayake or Ashantha De Mel
DS De Silva
Muttiah Muralitharan

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For Sri Lanka in Tests -

Sidath Wettimuny
Sanath Jayasuriya
Aravinda De Silva
Roy Dias
Kumar Sangakkara
Chaminda Vaas
DS De Silva
Muttiah Muralitharan
Jayawardene must have come close.

Flem274*

123/5
For Aus:
Test:
Ponsford
Trumper
Bradman
Chappell
Harvey
Miller
Gilchrist
Davidson
Lindwall
Warne
Lillee
(McGrath very stiff)

ODI:
Gilchrist
M. Waugh
Ponting
Bevan
Symonds
S. Waugh
Hussey
Warne
Lee
Lillee
McGrath
Looks pretty good. Who's Davidson? I don't think I've heard of him before.

Bevan at four? I'd have it something like

Gilchrist
Waugh
Ponting
Waugh
Symonds
Bevan
Hussey

That's just my opinion though

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
For Sri Lanka in ODIs-

Sanath Jayasuriya
Marvan Atapattu
Aravinda De Silva
Kumar Sangakkara
Asanka Gurusinghe
Roshan Mahanama
Chaminda Vaas
Ravi Ratnayake
Pramodya Wickremasinghe or Vinodhan John
Muralitharan

For Pakistan

Tests:

Saeed Anwar
Hanif Mohammad
Younis Khan
Zaheer Abbas
Javed Miandad
*Imran Khan
+Rashid Latif
Wasim Akram
Saqlain Mushtaq
Fazal Mahmood/Abdul Qadir(dependant on conditions)
Waqar Younis

ODIs:

Saeed Anwar
Aamer Sohail
Zaheer Abbas
Javed Miandad
Inzamam-ul-Haq
*Imran Khan
+Moin Khan
Wasim Akram
Shoaib Akhtar
Saqlain Mushtaq
Waqar Younis

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Jayawardene must have come close.
Its a toss up between Mahela and Ranatunga....and I know who I'd go for ...Ranatunga was a brilliant batsman in his prime and definitely the best Captain SL has ever had...His legacy in SL Cricket is huge.... Unfortunately no one will come close to matching that as a Captain...

Perm

Its a toss up between Mahela and Ranatunga....and I know who I'd go for ...Ranatunga was a brilliant batsman in his prime and definitely the best Captain SL has ever had...His legacy in SL Cricket is huge.... Unfortunately no one will come close to matching that as a Captain...
I would've slotted Jayawardene in there for Roy Dias who only played 20 Test matches.

adharcric

International Coach
  1. Vijay Merchant
  2. Sunil Gavaskar
  3. Rahul Dravid
  4. Sachin Tendulkar
  5. Vijay Hazare
  6. Kapil Dev
  7. Vinoo Mankad
  8. Syed Kirmani
  9. Amar Singh
  10. Mohammad Nissar
  11. Bhagwat Chandrasekhar

You can swap Bedi or Kumble if the Test is in India, Chandrashekhar if its away.
Mankad > Kapil with the bat. Replace a seamer (probably Nissar) with Bedi or Kumble for home tests - we certainly need three spinners at home.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
That has got to be one of the most lethal ODI seam attacks ever IMO
Absolutely ..Only the West Indian attacks would come close to matching that in lethality.

I would love to see how many batsman would have the stomach to face such an attack.:)

Flem274*

123/5
I'm gonna have a crack at the NZ test team, bearing in mind I know very little about pre-1980 test players.

Glenn Turner
Mark Richardson/John Wright
Andrew Jones
Martin Crowe?
Bert Suttcliffe
Chris Cairns?
Richard Hadlee
Ian Smith/Brendan McCullum
(spinner)
Dick Motz?
Shane Bond?

There are definitely other players who should be in there, I just don't know them yet.:laugh:

Perm

Absolutely ..Only the West Indian attacks would come close to matching that in lethality.

I would love to see how many batsman would have the stomach to face such an attack.:)
Forget stomach, they'd need steel cap boots.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Looks pretty good. Who's Davidson? I don't think I've heard of him before.

Bevan at four? I'd have it something like

Gilchrist
Waugh
Ponting
Waugh
Symonds
Bevan
Hussey

That's just my opinion though
Alan Davidson, the second best left arm fast bowler of all time IMO.

Bevan has very good numbers at 4 if I remember correctly.
Yeah, Davo just edges out McGrath as the 3rd seamer, based on his performances as a bowler and his left-handedness adds another bit of variety to the attack. Add to that the fact that he was genuinely a bowling allrounder (as opposed to a bowler who can bat a bit like a Warne or Lindwall) and a great fielder (he was nicknamed 'The Claw' because of his habit of snatching sharp catches out of the air).

Steve Waugh batting spot in the ODI team is a bit of a poser, I want him in for his solid batting and very handy medium pace and death bowling. But he's not really in Hussey's league as a late in the innings pinch-hitter, and I'd be loathe to deprive Ponting, Bevan or Symonds the chance to have as long as possible to bat. Probably have him at 5 ahead of Symonds and Hussey on reflection...

Flem274*

123/5

I'd do it, if I was paid as much as an Aussie test player. Not saying I'd score any runs though...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
For Sri Lanka in Tests -

Sidath Wettimuny
Sanath Jayasuriya
Aravinda De Silva
Roy Dias
Kumar Sangakkara
Chaminda Vaas
DS De Silva
Muttiah Muralitharan
Side looks a bit thin in both batting & bowling if we were to imagine it coming againts opposition all time attacks & batting line-ups. For me Wettimuny hasn't done near enough to upstage Atappatu for the opener spot, Jayawardene is a must & even if Sangakkara has to bat @ 7 Silva or even Kaluwitharana can't make it. I'd also be tempted to have Malinga in at this early stage since he is easily the second best seamer sri lanka has produced and one can easily see him having an excellent career.

I'd go:

Attapatu
Jayasuriya
De Silva
Dias
Jayawardene
Ranatunga
Sangakkara
R Ratnayake/S De Silva - depending on conditions
Vaas
Malinga
Murali

Perm

I'm gonna have a crack at the NZ test team, bearing in mind I know very little about pre-1980 test players.

Glenn Turner
Mark Richardson/John Wright
Andrew Jones
Martin Crowe?
Bert Suttcliffe
Chris Cairns?
Richard Hadlee
Ian Smith/Brendan McCullum
(spinner)
Dick Motz?
Shane Bond?

There are definitely other players who should be in there, I just don't know them yet.:laugh:
Ian Smith would be a definite choice over Brendan McCullum IMO. Vettori would probably be the spinner, I'd have John Wright over Mark Richardson as well. Ewen Chatfield and Danny Morrison could be potential fast bowlers in that attack. Fleming and Astle a little unlucky to miss out.