• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your country's all time ODI and test teams?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Haven't seen South Africa so i'll have a go at them:

TEST:

Bruce Mithcell
Barry Richards
Graeme Pollock
Dudley Nourse
Jacques Kallis
Mike Procter*
John Waite+
Aubrey Faulker/Shaun Pollock - depending on conditions
Hugh Tayfield
Allan Donald
Neil Adcock

ODI's:

Barry Richards
Herschelle Gibbs
Jacques Kallis
Graeme Pollock
Mike Procter*
Jonty Rhodes
Lance Klusener
Mark Boucher+
Allan Kourie
Shaun Pollock
Allan Donald

haroon510

International 12th Man
The bowling is thin with just four regular bowlers PLUS Aamir Sohail. I would bring Imran and reduce one batsman probably Yousuf. If I had to strengthen batting further I would get another allrounder like Intikhab at the cost of Shoaib. Imran, Wasim and Waqar is a good enough pace attack with Saqlain, Intikhab and Sohail providing three different types of spin.

I am not too happy to see a batsman of limited abilities like Sohail as an opener in an all time side that too for a gifted team like Pakistan. But they have always had a problem there havent they.
i heared hanif mohmmad was a good opener at least in test matches. i am supprised that people complatly miss that.

Beleg

International Regular
haroon,

Hanif is my opener in the test ODI.

Ummm... is it just me or does Beleg's ODI team NOT include Imran?
I left out Imran deliberately. While I have no doubt that he was a fine ODI cricketer and probably deserves to be in the all-time Pakistani ODI team, I wanted an extra batsman. I think in Wasim-Waqar-Shoaib-Saqlain we have arguably four of the best ODI bowlers ever and the likes of Aamir Shoail and even Miandad and Inzamam [Inzamam played first class cricket primarily as a bowler in the beginning, his scalps included some of the most prominent pakistani batsmen at that time] would be able to contribute ten overs and Yousuf is just such a verstille ODI batsmen that it seems like a crime to leave him out of the team.

adharcric

International Coach
Beleg said:
Inzamam played first class cricket primarily as a bowler in the beginning, his scalps included some of the most prominent pakistani batsmen at that time
Haha wtf :wacko:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Oh yes, he once took 28 wickets (out of his career total of 39) in a season @ 33.03.

In the same season he got 1645 runs (far and away his highest tally in any season) @ 60.92.

Obviously he was playing as a bowler then...

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
i heared hanif mohmmad was a good opener at least in test matches. i am supprised that people complatly miss that.
No they dont but people do miss the context in the midst of an argument.

I was talking of his odi team.

Relax it improves the eyesight.

The bowling is thin with just four regular bowlers PLUS Aamir Sohail. I would bring Imran and reduce one batsman probably Yousuf. If I had to strengthen batting further I would get another allrounder like Intikhab at the cost of Shoaib. Imran, Wasim and Waqar is a good enough pace attack with Saqlain, Intikhab and Sohail providing three different types of spin.

I am not too happy to see a batsman of limited abilities like Sohail as an opener in an all time side that too for a gifted team like Pakistan. But they have always had a problem there havent they.
The inclusion of Aamer Sohail in alltime ODI XIs of many Pakistanis is based on the fact that Saeed Anwar-Aamer Sohail is the best opening pair Pakistan has ever got.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The inclusion of Aamer Sohail in alltime ODI XIs of many Pakistanis is based on the fact that Saeed Anwar-Aamer Sohail is the best opening pair Pakistan has ever got.
I heard a similar argument in the opening batsmen for 1877-1914 era debate. Hobbs and Sutcliffe being the most successful opening pair.

Its a bit out of place to use that argument when chosing players over 130 years. Otherwise we would have to discard some great players purely because they did not have a great partner.

Someone may also stretch the argument to opening bowlers, spin twins, bowler keeper combinations and so on. It may sound like I am stretching the argument to an extreme but seriously, that cant be the criteria. If there was another Jack Hobbs in Australia would we discard him because the two of them never shared a partnership.

Gavaskar and Chetan Chauhan formed the most successful opening partnership in test cricket for India ever but no one in his right frame of mind would include Chetan in an all time Indian test side.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
And yes Hanif was a tremendous opener. I had the great fortune to watch him open in a test match. I was too young to appreciate his greatness as I would have done even five years later but he was still a REAL superstar. It was a privilege.

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
I'll have a go.

Tests

Hobbs
Sutcliffe
Hammond (C)
Hutton
Compton
Botham
Knott (wk)
Laker