• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Ricky Ponting the best batsman test cricket has seen since Bradman ?

Salamuddin

International Debutant
What do you guys think ? I've heard a few Australian pundits think that he is such as Kerry O' Keefe and the Australian's Malcolm Conn.

Personally, I don't agree - while Ricky is undobtedly a great player, I'm not even sure if you could clearly call him the best batsman of his generation....

If we take, Lara and Tendulkar out of the equation (as both players proba bbly peaked during the 90's).
Ponting's biggest rivals this decade have been Kallis and Dravid.
He doesn't average THAT much more than the other two (both of whom have to face the Aussie attack) and Dravid in particular away from home has a considerably better record than Ponting.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Whilst Ponting isn't as "special" as Lara or Tendulkar, and doesn't have the genius of either, he is an absolute run machine and it would be hard to look past him.

andyc

He's the best I've seen. I've not really seen Lara or Tendulkar in their peak, but an average of just under 60 is pretty freaking good.

Perm

I suppose it comes down to what you define as "best", whether it be talented geniuses like Tendukar or Lara, or constant run machines like Ponting and Yousuf (out of the current crop).

andyc

I suppose it comes down to what you define as "best", whether it be talented geniuses like Tendukar or Lara, or constant run machines like Ponting and Yousuf (out of the current crop).
I'd prefer to have the one that makes more runs.

Perm

I'd prefer to have the one that makes more runs.
As would I, but I feel Lara and Tendulkar will always be considered as "better" because of the natural talent that they have. Obviously there are things like quality of the attacks, pitches etc that will contribute when people are making that judgement, but the way that they made those runs and the flair with which they did it will weigh heavily on people's minds.

grant28

School Boy/Girl Captain
lara and tendulker have batted under more pressue situations than ponting. tendulker for the indian fans, lara because the rest of his team can simply be quite terrible and he needs to save the game or post a big 1st inns score or whatever. ponting wouldve batted under less pressure situation then lara or sachin.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Its too early to say anything IMO. As I've said before, he definitely is the best batsman of this decade, to say anything more than that at this point would be presumptuous of how his batting career will proceed from here.

Fiery

Banned
As would I, but I feel Lara and Tendulkar will always be considered as "better" because of the natural talent that they have. Obviously there are things like quality of the attacks, pitches etc that will contribute when people are making that judgement, but the way that they made those runs and the flair with which they did it will weigh heavily on people's minds.
I think Ponting has now surpassed them both myself

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
What makes Tendulkar and Lara more "talented" than Ponting and Yousuf?.

Perm

What makes Tendulkar and Lara more "talented" than Ponting and Yousuf?.
The fact that they scored runs against better attacks, on wickets more condusive to bowling. Also just the way they went about scoring those runs, I think the majority of people on CW will agree with me when I say that Lara and Tendulkar are more talented that Ponting and Yousuf.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Also just the way they went about scoring those runs.
TBH I enjoy a Mo-Yo cover drive and a Ponting pull shot every bit as much as the Tendulkar's and Lara's of this world.The way both these shots are played (especially the cover drive) is both graceful and elegant.Mo-Yo is extremly talented at missing the fielders and being able to open the blade at the last moment.This IMO is every much as "talented" as a Tendulkar or Lara shot but it just doesn't look as extravagant meaning it won't get the same publicity.

pasag

RTDAS
He's the best I've seen, which basically means I haven't seen much and was most unfortunate to miss out on the golden era of the 90s by not giving a **** about cricket back then. And if I haven't seen a player, depsite reading heaps about them and seeing heaps of clips, there's no way I can rate them and compare them. I suppose if he has another 2-4 golden years he'll be remembered as the best Australian since Bradman, overtaking Chappell and the likes, I suppose. He is a total gun though.

Perm

Mo-Yo is not in the same class as the other 3 yet imo
Of course he's not, as evident by his lack of runs against Australia and South Africa. However he has been a run machine in recent years, much like Ponting, so I included him in that same sort of category.