• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Ricky Ponting the best batsman test cricket has seen since Bradman ?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It will be hard pressed for me to put Ponting ahead of guys like Viv Richards, Gary Sobers, Greg Chappell, Sunil Gavaskar, etc. Possible, but I don't see it atm.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
It will be hard pressed for me to put Ponting ahead of guys like Viv Richards, Gary Sobers, Greg Chappell, Sunil Gavaskar, etc. Possible, but I don't see it atm.
We have to revisit Pontings career ten years from now to make an objective assessment of where he stands in the pantheon of the truly greats like those you mention.

Till then why not sit back with our beers and enjoy this superb batsman. I love watching him more than any Australian since Mark Waugh. Its mind bogglindg to imagine that he could actually get better.

My great regret is that we do not have great bowling attacks around the world to really bring out the best Ponting is capable of.

burr

State Vice-Captain
This is an old topic but I felt like commenting. What I admire about Ponting is his mental abilities (that and his pull shot - to die for). He just seems to have this fabulous attitude to his batting, never making it too complicated, not getting too fussed if he hasn't scored runs in a while and never batting for himself but seemingly always the team. It's those mental capacities that are the main reason for his consistency and why I believe he will end up with a very high average (not that averages interest me). As for the best since Bradman, really who cares, it's a mute point and one I can't comment on having not seen all the batsman since Bradman. However I do believe (and I may well be biased as an Australian) he is a freakish talent and should be put on the same level as Tendulkar and Lara. I think they are the 3 clear standouts of the 90s and 00s. Steve Waugh just didn’t have the natural talent of those 3 and Yousef, well tbh, I don't even know why's he's been mentioned - one year doesn’t make you a superstar.

irfan

State Captain
Its already once in 130 years and it doesnt look like we are going to get another in a hurry. :)

As far as not outs are concerned its inbteresting to see how they affect averages of top batsmen in the history of the game.

Of all the batsmen who have averaged over 50 in tests (criteria being minumum 50 test innings) and their averages with and without the not outs. As can be seen the weighted average of how much the batting average is boosted is 11.1 (Bradman 12.5).

If you declared Bradman as being OUT for all his not out innings, he still manages a batting average of 87.5 !!

The others are nowhere near him even if there stats are not treated in the same way :)

One cant say whether or not we will see another Bradman. I would pray we see one in the next twenty years (before I die) but it seems too long a shot - with or without not outs.
I have to disagree with you SJS. You have forgotten, the one, the only Mr. Cricket :sly:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
he is the best batsman in the world right now, as for best after bradman, has a looooooong way to go, bowling everywhere is still on a downward curve, so statistically he can keep piling it up, but in actuality, don't think he will ever be the 2nd best, there are just too many great players in front of him....

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Definietly not. Lara and Tendulkar are better up to now when the whole career is considered. Would be interesting to see what he'll achieve when he calls it a day.