• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Ricky Ponting the best batsman test cricket has seen since Bradman ?

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Haha what?
I made a mistake then tried to correct but wasn't in the best state. Just really saying that he may be considered the best Aussie batsman since Bradman but Waugh's ATM just a bit ahead of him.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Doesn't make it true.

I reckon Ponting has now surpassed Border probably, but Steve Waugh? Not quite yet. The game is more than numbers.
Border > Waugh tbh. Not by much, but its certainly the case IMO...

pup11

International Coach
I think Ponting has still got a long way to go before he can reach anywhere near Bradman, he is not even close to Lara or Tendulkar yet but he certainly has it in him to surpass all these greats.

I say this because Ponting's current form is just the tip of the iceberg and he has still not discovered his true potential (IMO), but he has got a lot of time on his hand to improve further and reach a different level of batsmanship.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I think Ponting has still got a long way to go before he can reach anywhere near Bradman.
Ponting is never going to get anywhere near Bradman, ever. Just never, and I doubt that anyone in my lifetime, or for a long, long time will.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Ponting isn't currently the best batsmen since Bradman. However, with the form he has, and which seems to continue, after a couple years I think he will be up there with the best, if not become the outright 2nd best test batsmen ever.

Fiery

Banned
I think Ponting has still got a long way to go before he can reach anywhere near Bradman, he is not even close to Lara or Tendulkar yet but he certainly has it in him to surpass all these greats.

I say this because Ponting's current form is just the tip of the iceberg and he has still not discovered his true potential (IMO), but he has got a lot of time on his hand to improve further and reach a different level of batsmanship.
No pup. Ponting will not pass Bradman

Fiery

Banned
No, Ponting will not pass Bradman. He may pass Tendulkar and Lara though, if he keeps this up.
Right, although the more I think about it then maybe if Ponting can go on to score over 15000 test runs and average mid 60s then there may just be a case to compare him with Bradman. There will always be the fact that Bradman's career spanned the war so we can only wonder what his stats would look like if Hitler wasn't born, they may not have been as impressive, they may have been even better, who knows?

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Right, although the more I think about it then maybe if Ponting can go on to score over 15000 test runs and average mid 60s then there may just be a case to compare him with Bradman. There will always be the fact that Bradman's career spanned the war so we can only wonder what his stats would look like if Hitler wasn't born, they may not have been as impressive, they may have been even better, who knows?
Bradman is a freak, the best batsman that Test cricket has ever seen. Ponting could score 15,000 runs and average mid 60's and I would still consider Bradman as the greatest. The man is a statistical legend, he averages 99.94. That is freakin' amazing! Not to mention he played on pitches back then, without protective equipment and his career has hampered by WWII.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
He averaged more post WWII, than before even though it is agreed that his best years were behind him.

Flem274*

123/5
It would be possible to pass Bradman's average if they were a world class finisher with alot of not outs like Hussey. However to be better than Bradman the batsman would have to be some sort of once in 100 years freak like Bradman.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Way to early to compare Ponting to Bradman. I would rate him behing Richards, Lara, Tendulkar, Chappell, and Waugh. Perhaps when his career is over, Ponting will surpass all of them except Bradman. For now, the only thing I can say with certainty is that Ponting is currently the best batsman playing.

Craig

World Traveller
So if Ponting doesn't make amend for his past failures in India (I've stated them before and 2004 can't be held against him and perforamnce in India is the be all-end all it seems) so where would that rank him then? Only very good but not great?

Flem274*

123/5
It doesn't matter if he's better than Bradman or not, he's still a pain in the butt for other teams to bowl to.:laugh:

Hadlee

Cricket Spectator
Bradman is of course the greatest. Ponting is up there as one of the best batsmen over the past 30 years.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
If we pretend that Sobers, Lara, Tendulkar, Richards, G Chappell, G Pollock never existed i guess he would be in with a shout.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bradman is a freak, the best batsman that Test cricket has ever seen. Ponting could score 15,000 runs and average mid 60's and I would still consider Bradman as the greatest. The man is a statistical legend, he averages 99.96. That is freakin' amazing! Not to mention he played on pitches back then, without protective equipment and his career has hampered by WWII.
Could have sworn someone pointed this out earlier, but maybe they deleted their post. Still, poor form.