• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's Zimbabwe Tour in Doubt

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/other_international/australia/6623111.stm

Well the 'it being in doubt' isn't really the story here but the fact that the Australian government has agreed to pay any fine received by CA if they decide not to tour. I remember the government in the UK at the time when we were to tour effectively said "we don't want you to go but we aren't going to give you any money if you don't".

What are people's thoughts on this decision by the Australian government. I should think its likely the tour will be called off now.

Last edited:

The Big Cheese

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
IMO Zimbabwe should be taken off the touring map for all cricketing nations.
It cannot seriously guarantee the safety of top sporting teams such as the australian cricket team.

When is the tour btw?

Craig

World Traveller
Fair enough and I hope so as well.

However I did think it was pathetic of the British government not to cover the fine given their position.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
It cannot seriously guarantee the safety of top sporting teams such as the australian cricket team.

When is the tour btw?
From what people have said on this fourm, that know a bit more about the safety issues about Zimbabwe, there isn't any real personal safety issues. I could link that post that Rich made about Zimbabwe, interms of morale and safety grounds, but cbf finding the post.

I can understand the Australian Governments stance and you got to give them credit for this move. Really if the playing as a whole, for what ever reasons prefer not to tour Zimbabwe ethical, morale or some unfounded safety issues. Then its nice to see the Government backing them politically and financially.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
It is unfair really to put it on the players to decide, it puts them in a very unenviable position. I mean, if my work told me tomorrow that I had to go to Zimbabwe for a meeting, I'd find it a difficult decision.

The ridiculous thing is the Aus academy thrashed the Zim one-day side last Sept I think it was, so it would be a farcical series anyway.

Now Zim are ranked so low, can't they be taken off the future tours programme anyway? I mean, they're below Ireland and no-one is forced to tour there.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I hope they go, if only for the selfish reason of wanting Gilchrist to get to 100 Test's as quickly as possible before he considers retiring.

pup11

International Coach
I have said it in the past and i say it again no country should tour Zim and when any country tours Zim in a way they support the things that are going on in that country.

Perm don't worry mate Gilly is gonna play in the Ashes 09 (atleast i hope so) and so he would easily play 100 tests.

Anyways Aussies are not gonna play any test on their tour to Zim.

Perm

Yeah, was only three ODIs anyways.
I see.

I couldn't care less if they go or not, but if they do then it would be a good excuse to throw some of the younger guys into the ODI side and see how they go. Talking about the likes of Haddin, Jaques, Johnson, Hilfenhaus etc.

pasag

RTDAS
I see.

I couldn't care less if they go or not, but if they do then it would be a good excuse to throw some of the younger guys into the ODI side and see how they go. Talking about the likes of Haddin, Jaques, Johnson, Hilfenhaus etc.
Yeah, if they did go, which the wont in all probability, there's no way Ponting, Hayden, Gilchrist, Hogg, Bracken or Symonds would go (not talking politics here obv). Maybe Clarke and Hussey for leadership purposes.

Johnners

If they really want to play the 3 odi's, if possible they should try and organise the matches to be played in Kenya instead imo. Don't take Ponting, Hayden, Gilly, Lee, Symonds, Hogg, Bracken & Hussey, but instead treat it as a learning experience for the next generation with Clarke as captain & Haddin his deputy.

Bullfrog1

Banned

When is the tour btw?
I agree. Tough measures are the only answer. It worked with South Africa.

pasag

RTDAS
If they really want to play the 3 odi's, if possible they should try and organise the matches to be played in Kenya instead imo. Don't take Ponting, Hayden, Gilly, Lee, Symonds, Hogg, Bracken & Hussey, but instead treat it as a learning experience for the next generation with Clarke as captain & Haddin his deputy.
Doubt Lee would be better by then, but if he was, it'd be good for his rehab to go, maybe.

pup11

International Coach
Binga is not gonna risk his ankle for this 3 odi tournament in Zim, so i doubt he would touring Zimbabwe.

I don't think Aussies are gonna tour Zim since as the Australian government has already said that they are ready to pay any fine that CA might have to give to the ICC.

In that case it would be a long time before we see the Aussies back in action on the field, IIRC their next tour is the 7-odi series in India in October 07.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I agree. Tough measures are the only answer. It worked with South Africa.
Disagree, apartheid was toppled due to economic sanctions and the events during the state of emergency.. Sports bodies like to think they are big enough to influence and change top level politics, but I doubt it hugely.. Especially in Zimbabwe, where change will only come after Mugabe's death

The Big Cheese

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Binga is not gonna risk his ankle for this 3 odi tournament in Zim, so i doubt he would touring Zimbabwe.

I don't think Aussies are gonna tour Zim since as the Australian government has already said that they are ready to pay any fine that CA might have to give to the ICC.

In that case it would be a long time before we see the Aussies back in action on the field, IIRC their next tour is the 7-odi series in India in October 07.
The Twenty20 WC is in september. :happy:

pasag

RTDAS
Looks like the govt are banning the tour, which would be an good result for Cricket Australia in relation to the fine, as the ICC probably wouldn't give it to them if their hands were tied from the govenment. It seems like this might have been CA's plan along though, which is pretty smart on their part if you ask me. Anyways an announcment is supposed to be made on Sunday.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21718816-23212,00.html