Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Australia's Zimbabwe Tour in Doubt

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar

Australia's Zimbabwe Tour in Doubt

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cric...ia/6623111.stm

Well the 'it being in doubt' isn't really the story here but the fact that the Australian government has agreed to pay any fine received by CA if they decide not to tour. I remember the government in the UK at the time when we were to tour effectively said "we don't want you to go but we aren't going to give you any money if you don't".

What are people's thoughts on this decision by the Australian government. I should think its likely the tour will be called off now.
    Last edited by superkingdave; 04-05-2007 at 07:29 PM.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer The Big Cheese's Avatar
    IMO Zimbabwe should be taken off the touring map for all cricketing nations.
    It cannot seriously guarantee the safety of top sporting teams such as the australian cricket team.

When is the tour btw?
    You may call me "The Big Cheese." That is all.

Fair enough and I hope so as well.

However I did think it was pathetic of the British government not to cover the fine given their position.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cheese View Post
    It cannot seriously guarantee the safety of top sporting teams such as the australian cricket team.

When is the tour btw?
    From what people have said on this fourm, that know a bit more about the safety issues about Zimbabwe, there isn't any real personal safety issues. I could link that post that Rich made about Zimbabwe, interms of morale and safety grounds, but cbf finding the post.

I can understand the Australian Governments stance and you got to give them credit for this move. Really if the playing as a whole, for what ever reasons prefer not to tour Zimbabwe ethical, morale or some unfounded safety issues. Then its nice to see the Government backing them politically and financially.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    It is unfair really to put it on the players to decide, it puts them in a very unenviable position. I mean, if my work told me tomorrow that I had to go to Zimbabwe for a meeting, I'd find it a difficult decision.

The ridiculous thing is the Aus academy thrashed the Zim one-day side last Sept I think it was, so it would be a farcical series anyway.

Now Zim are ranked so low, can't they be taken off the future tours programme anyway? I mean, they're below Ireland and no-one is forced to tour there.

Pinball Champion!
    Safety in Zimbabwe is not an issue, providing you dont say or do anything inflammatory..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    I hope they go, if only for the selfish reason of wanting Gilchrist to get to 100 Test's as quickly as possible before he considers retiring.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

I have said it in the past and i say it again no country should tour Zim and when any country tours Zim in a way they support the things that are going on in that country.

Perm don't worry mate Gilly is gonna play in the Ashes 09 (atleast i hope so) and so he would easily play 100 tests.

Anyways Aussies are not gonna play any test on their tour to Zim.

Yeah, was only three ODIs anyways.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by pup11 View Post
    when any country tours Zim in a way they support the things that are going on in that country..
    In what way?? So any touring teams to England support Blairs regime, and his war in Iraq?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Yeah, was only three ODIs anyways.
    I see.

I couldn't care less if they go or not, but if they do then it would be a good excuse to throw some of the younger guys into the ODI side and see how they go. Talking about the likes of Haddin, Jaques, Johnson, Hilfenhaus etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    I see.

I couldn't care less if they go or not, but if they do then it would be a good excuse to throw some of the younger guys into the ODI side and see how they go. Talking about the likes of Haddin, Jaques, Johnson, Hilfenhaus etc.
    Yeah, if they did go, which the wont in all probability, there's no way Ponting, Hayden, Gilchrist, Hogg, Bracken or Symonds would go (not talking politics here obv). Maybe Clarke and Hussey for leadership purposes.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Johnners's Avatar
    If they really want to play the 3 odi's, if possible they should try and organise the matches to be played in Kenya instead imo. Don't take Ponting, Hayden, Gilly, Lee, Symonds, Hogg, Bracken & Hussey, but instead treat it as a learning experience for the next generation with Clarke as captain & Haddin his deputy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Banned

When is the tour btw?
    I agree. Tough measures are the only answer. It worked with South Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by Clapo View Post
    If they really want to play the 3 odi's, if possible they should try and organise the matches to be played in Kenya instead imo. Don't take Ponting, Hayden, Gilly, Lee, Symonds, Hogg, Bracken & Hussey, but instead treat it as a learning experience for the next generation with Clarke as captain & Haddin his deputy.
    Doubt Lee would be better by then, but if he was, it'd be good for his rehab to go, maybe.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information