• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

poll

how would you rate irelands world cup preformance?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LA ICE-E

State Captain
no this tournament was boring because none of the top teams bar sri lanka and australia showed up. even if you count all of irelands games boring(which isn't true) and the top teams had competitive games it wouldn't have been a boring tournament. don't blame ireland, blame the other teams who didn't have competitve games. aus vs pak aus vs ind would be fun but so was suppose to be aus vs eng aus vs nz etc. but they weren't and the two that didn't happen wouldn't probably be either.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, that's sad because O'Brien can't play for Ireland from next year 'cause of england! man the icc needs to give money to ireland to stop this and make them semi pros so their top players don't go to england.
Except that there's no stopping the natural cricketing processes.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
that's like saying except there's no stoping natural slaverly processes. of course there is, if ireland becomes a test nation i doubt their players would still be playing for england.

1-9-7-7

International Regular
that's like saying except there's no stoping natural slaverly processes. of course there is, if ireland becomes a test nation i doubt their players would still be playing for england.
Exactly.
All we Ireland needs to do is just keep it up.
Play as many games as possible and get better.
I'm glad we got that new South African player.
Because the more players we can get the better.
I fear there'll be more than just Niall O'Brian leaving.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I thought Ireland did brilliantly FWIW; played with verve & no little skill. Possibly the only team (other than maybe Sri Lanka) who exceeded their pre-tournament expectations (Oz would've doubtlessly matched theirs by winning undefeated).

I do think it's a shame Irish players end up playing for us as it's going to be terminal for the country's long-term ambitions. I can totally see the players' view too tho as any sportsman would naturally want to test himself at the highest level & Irish cricketers can't do that.

I personally favour a compromise whereby players like Joyce & O'Brien can continue to plays ODIs for Ireland, but play tests for England. Sort of like Rugby Union where British & Irish players can represent their home nation & also play for the British Lions. It's not directly analogous because the Lions aren't likely to play Ireland or England, but it's a similar-ish arrangement.

Something needs to be done to help the "lesser" cricketing nations because at the moment they're almost being punished for producing decent cricketers.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ireland aren't going to become a Test nation anytime soon, which is a good thing. They couldn't handle it.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
I thought Ireland did brilliantly FWIW; played with verve & no little skill. Possibly the only team (other than maybe Sri Lanka) who exceeded their pre-tournament expectations (Oz would've doubtlessly matched theirs by winning undefeated).

I do think it's a shame Irish players end up playing for us as it's going to be terminal for the country's long-term ambitions. I can totally see the players' view too tho as any sportsman would naturally want to test himself at the highest level & Irish cricketers can't do that.

I personally favour a compromise whereby players like Joyce & O'Brien can continue to plays ODIs for Ireland, but play tests for England. Sort of like Rugby Union where British & Irish players can represent their home nation & also play for the British Lions. It's not directly analogous because the Lions aren't likely to play Ireland or England, but it's a similar-ish arrangement.

Something needs to be done to help the "lesser" cricketing nations because at the moment they're almost being punished for producing decent cricketers.
I don't think that would work though, 'cause either you move on to the next nation or you stick with you nation. When you're playing for Ireland vs England, that's not fair because you just know how they play and their game plans etc and it's not fair for England and you would be question for if you're really giving it all for one side or the other. It's kind of like having 2 coaches one for test, one for ODIs.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
You have to say good. IMO only the three semi-finalists totlaay humilated them and for a bunch of amatuers to kep going in the Super Eights at a level they are not used to was a credit. They played to the limit of their ability - unlike some we can think of?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
You have to say good. IMO only the three semi-finalists totlaay humilated them and for a bunch of amatuers to kep going in the Super Eights at a level they are not used to was a credit. They played to the limit of their ability - unlike some we can think of?
Scotland?

*Runs....* :ph34r:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's nothing like it. Slavery (presuming that, not slaverly, is what you meant) is an abhorrant apologist for a trait of humanity that could not have been lanced a moment too soon. Playing cricket for a team is a matter of playing at the best level available to you, so if you can get to the top level you're not going to stop at the 2nd level from the top.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
It's nothing like it. Slavery (presuming that, not slaverly, is what you meant) is an abhorrant apologist for a trait of humanity that could not have been lanced a moment too soon. Playing cricket for a team is a matter of playing at the best level available to you, so if you can get to the top level you're not going to stop at the 2nd level from the top.
no that's not how i was looking at the analogy. you said "Except that there's no stopping the natural cricketing processes." Well if it was going by natural slavery ways than we'd still have slavery because lets face it to the people in the south slavery was natural, it was life. But it had to come to an end. And so does Irish people representing England and Wales. And just to get it cleared If Scotland and Ireland was encouraged by the ICC to separate why wasn't Wales or the West Indies? It's the fact that they seperated themselves.

Last edited:

DCC_legend

International Regular
They went in to the world cup with nothing to lose. Most people expected them to get duffed by everybody, they performed admirably in there first world cup, and with the results they got, i voted for brilliant.