• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

poll

how would you rate irelands world cup preformance?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Ireland's success was over hyped at best.

(Spot the Pakistani)

Seriously though, my vote represents how I really feel about their performances in the WC.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
jammay123, PhoenixFire, shortpitched713 justify yourselves on voting overhyped! :p but seriously how they can you say they are overhyped? They weren't even hyped to do anything is this world cup. No one unless they pay attention to the associate cricket even knew much about Irish cricket. The only "hyped" teams to pull something this tournamet was bangladesh and kenya but still those weren't given much of a chance still. So definitely not overhyped. Overhype=India and to some extent pakistan. Brilliant in my honest opionion for a team of ametures.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
You guys really need to make sure England don't run off with your talent. Ed Joyce is a good example.
Well, that's sad because O'Brien can't play for Ireland from next year 'cause of england! man the icc needs to give money to ireland to stop this and make them semi pros so their top players don't go to england.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well, that's sad because O'Brien can't play for Ireland from next year 'cause of england! man the icc needs to give money to ireland to stop this and make them semi pros so their top players don't go to england.
Money isn't the only factor though, the opportunity to play Test cricket is a big carrot for Irish guys. Although it would be naive to think that money plays no part.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
jammay123, PhoenixFire, shortpitched713 justify yourselves on voting overhyped! :p but seriously how they can you say they are overhyped? They weren't even hyped to do anything is this world cup. No one unless they pay attention to the associate cricket even knew much about Irish cricket. The only "hyped" teams to pull something this tournamet was bangladesh and kenya but still those weren't given much of a chance still. So definitely not overhyped. Overhype=India and to some extent pakistan. Brilliant in my honest opionion for a team of ametures.
Well said. If anything they have been subject to, before the world cup, opinions/sentiments varying from curiosity to mild ridicule. A lopt of the criticism of the World Cup and they way it was formatted focussed on "teams-like-Ireland" coming and devaluing the standards and the large number of meaningless - one sided matches this was going to lead to.

Is this over-hype?

So one can only presume that the overhype being refered to is on their performance during the tournament. Well the response of the public has been one of surprise bordering on admiration which is surely well merited considering the scorn heaped on minnows all around.

How can an expression of surprise, incredulity at their defeating Pakistan which turned to reluctant admiration when they defeated Bangladesh (themselves conqurers of India and South Africa) be denied to them.

Its amazing that this sense of amazement of a team which was considered no better than a poor club side (if they were participating in one of the major club leagues) be considered OVER HYPE?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Well said. If anything they have been subject to, before the world cup, opinions/sentiments varying from curiosity to mild ridicule. A lopt of the criticism of the World Cup and they way it was formatted focussed on "teams-like-Ireland" coming and devaluing the standards and the large number of meaningless - one sided matches this was going to lead to.

Is this over-hype?

So one can only presume that the overhype being refered to is on the response to their performance during the tournament. Well the response of the public has been one of surprise bordering on admiration which is surely well merited considering the scorn heaped on minnows all around.

How can an expression of surprise, incredulity at their defeating Pakistan which turned to reluctant admiration when they defeated Bangladesh (themselves conqurers of India and South Africa) be denied to them.

Its amazing that this sense of amazement of a team which was considered no better than a poor club side (if they were participating in one of the major club leagues) be considered OVER HYPE?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member

Is this over-hype?

So one can only presume that the overhype being refered to is on the response to their performance during the tournament. Well the response of the public has been one of surprise bordering on admiration which is surely well merited considering the scorn heaped on minnows all around.

grant28

School Boy/Girl Captain
i think the pakistan vs ireland game was match fixed, i think the draw against zimbabwe was deserved, but i think the win against bangladesh was a fluke, they shouldnt be in the proper odi rankings, they dont deserve to be, and wont even play a game untill next world cup against a big team

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i think the pakistan vs ireland game was match fixed, i think the draw against zimbabwe was deserved, but i think the win against bangladesh was a fluke, they shouldnt be in the proper odi rankings, they dont deserve to be, and wont even play a game untill next world cup against a big team
I beleive South Africa or India are planning to play an ODI against Ireland when they are having a series over there, although it could be Scotland, I'm not sure. It wouldn't be too hard for teams that are touring England (West Indies, India) to jump across to Ireland and play an ODI or First Class match against the Irish side.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
it really ****en annoys me when people talk **** but doesn't even know the facts....

pakistani vs ireland wasn't fixed and not much speculation or evidence about it either. the bangladesh win wasn't a fluke because if you pay even a little bit attention you'd know that they performed competitively through out the whole tournament bar 2 games and that 2 was against the undefeated champions and the runners-up. They deserve 100% to be in the ODI rankings as they did very well and over that they ****en met the qualification to be in the ODI rankings for gods sake. And FYI, they will get games against big teams, they are going to have games against South Africa and India in the summer sometime. And they'll have games against West indies and other teams later on. They got a pretty good schedule ready for them already.

Check your facts next time. http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ireland/content/story/293073.html

jot1

State Vice-Captain
Nantie Hayward has just signed for Ireland. We'll probably play against him when we go there.

pasag

RTDAS
Their performances on their own and their attitudes were nothing short of relatively brilliant. What they contributed to the tournament was poor (one sided, boring games in Super 8s), although that is hardly their fault in the slightest. But to answer the poll, brilliant.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Their performances on their own and their attitudes were nothing short of relatively brilliant. What they contributed to the tournament was poor (one sided, boring games in Super 8s), although that is hardly their fault in the slightest. But to answer the poll, brilliant.
hmm...they gave a England a good run for their money and could have won that game, hardly a one-side game, won against bangladesh etc hardly any of their games were boring. Nothing they contributed to the tournament was poor. What Australia contributed to the tournament was poor (one side games, boring demolitions through the whole world cup except the Gilchrist innings etc.).

pasag

RTDAS
hmm...they gave a England a good run for their money and could have won that game, hardly a one-side game, won against bangladesh etc hardly any of their games were boring. Nothing they contributed to the tournament was poor. What Australia contributed to the tournament was poor (one side games, boring demolitions through the whole world cup except the Gilchrist innings etc.).
Hmm, it seems you're going to follow everyone around that doesn't support the minnows 100%. For one that watched every game of the WC, they were boring as hell and I would have much rathered India or Pakistan in there. The fact Ireland was there made it one of the most boring World Cups ever again and I get the feeling I'll end up repeating this again to you, that's not their fault at all. Also the fact Australia were so much better then everyone else, if you're going to try blame anyone it should be the direness of other sides and not Australia.

It's a real shame that we didn't get to see Australia vs India/ Pakistan or India vs Pakistan on the world stage but were infact treated to watching that rubbish. Again, not the fault of the Ireland side in the slightest and their efforts must be commended fully and admired. But the fact they were there ruined the WC. The fact other teams were dire compared to Australia also ruined the WC at times.