• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Real Inventor Of Over The Top Hitting In ODI's

thierry henry

International Coach
Interestingly, in the intial period of them coming together, Kalu was a more prominent hitter than even Sanath - circa '95/96 B&H tournament in Aus. Kalu was more feared for a number of years, even more than Sanath. Sadly, around '99, Kalu lost form, whilst Sanath went from strength to strength.
Yep, I remember a couple of Kalu innings from 95/96 fondly. But I think you are exaggerating his influence. I think 2 or 3 innings from that series were the highpoint of his career.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think the point was that before the SL opening pair, teams were following the blue-print of playing low risk cricket until the 40th over. Sri Lanka were prepared to be 2 or 3 down as long as they were 75+ after 15. It was more a change in philosophy, rather than strokeplay.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Every one forgetting Srikkanth is a joke.. :PH34r:

But generally even though I would like to give the credit of making it a norm to Greatbatch as Greatbatch's strategic hitting in '92 showed it could be done successfully in modern cricket, I would have to give it to Jayasuriya and Kallu because only after their using it, people started using it every where.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yeah, Srikkanth did that, but I think it was his natural game, anyway and I am not sure if the 15 over restrictions were there at that time. So I don't think it was "strategic". He just played his shots at the top of the order when the field was generally in. As a strategy, I think it was first Greatbatch who did that and then of course, it was Jaya and Kalu. As shehenwije pointed out, they were the first "pair" to go hammer and tongs at the top of the order. Earlier, it was always one guy who did that while the other held his end up.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think the point was that before the SL opening pair, teams were following the blue-print of playing low risk cricket until the 40th over. Sri Lanka were prepared to be 2 or 3 down as long as they were 75+ after 15. It was more a change in philosophy, rather than strokeplay.
Bit underestimative there, TBH. 75 was a poor first-15 for Lanka in the mid-1990s. 90 or 100 was about what they'd usually have been aiming for.

Matt79

Global Moderator
There always has been and always will be guys that go after the bowling early. However, Jayasuriya and Kaluwitarana changed the landscape. They certainly were not the first but they made everyone situp and notice and really shocked the world.

Whether guys had done it before is practically irrelevant, as they took it to a whole new strategic level and made it their own.

It was almost like aliens had landed amongst us.
Yep, I remember a couple of Kalu innings from 95/96 fondly.
Yeah, I remember sitting at the 'G during that '95/'96 series, and watching Kalu in particular IIRC and Jayasuriya laying about the bowling in a manner that would probably seem unremarkable these days, but had everyone absolutely stunned at the time. The first couple of shots were like "hmmm... that was lucky/reckless", but then they kept on doing it. Over the course of that series and then obviously the WC it totally changed the way the world thought about opening in ODIs...

I also remember being absolutely mesmerised at that match by McDermott revealing his new slow ball, the slow full toss aimed three quarters of the way up the stump - got him on a hat-trick in fact...

Ash_A55

U19 Captain
Jaya is still a legend but the tag of him changing the ODI game is undeserved
Jayasuria has made over the top hitting his own, just like Makelele in the 'Makelele role'. I think it's due credit that Jayasuria is awarded the accolade. All the cricketers I associate with refer to over the top hitting in the early overs as - The Jayasuria way.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There's a difference between the Turner-style chip strokes (which have been strangely underused of late) and the pinch-hitting style whack-it-over-the-top though.

Fiery

Banned
There's a difference between the Turner-style chip strokes (which have been strangely underused of late) and the pinch-hitting style whack-it-over-the-top though.
Granted he was never a big hitter but he could hit it if he wanted to and scored as fast as anyone when necessary. He could also play every shot in the book.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh, without doubt. But that wasn't noted as "his way" - his noted speciality was that chip-stroke. Whereas Greatbatch (for instance) was noted for a totally different style.