• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Zimbabwe remain a test playing nation?

grant28

School Boy/Girl Captain
Personally, i dont think zimbabwe should be a test playing nation, they never play a test and when they do they get battered, they are going backwards by the day, unlike Bangladesh who have a bright future.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Zimbabwe have not been fit to play Tests and ODIs for 4 years now... and the country isn't fit for much at large either at the moment, and that will remain so long as Zanu PF is in power.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, I agree. I can't see any cricketing or moral reasons to support Zim continuing as a test nation just now.

Langeveldt

Soutie
It's one of the few things that nearly 100% of people will agree on.. And yet still it will go ahead and happen.. At least the ICC **** up on marginal calls every now and again, but this? Wow...

RedRobin23

Cricket Spectator
Personally, i dont think zimbabwe should be a test playing nation, they never play a test and when they do they get battered, they are going backwards by the day, unlike Bangladesh who have a bright future.
i agree the team isn't up to test standards nor ODI standards and the country isn't the best place at the mo to stage a cricket match

LA ICE-E

State Captain
the ICC should give zim a time line to fix their **** up and then if they don't demote them like they did in the case of US.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It takes a complete dunce not to realise that Zimbabwean cricket has no chance - like everything else in the country - of sorting-out their problems while the current govornment is in power.

Until Zanu PF is gone, there is no hope for anything, and I mean anything, in Zimbabwe.

brockley

International Captain
Its funny the intercontinetal cup schedule has been named no zimbabwe,zimbabwe due to play a test series against the west indies wonder if the icc will give the OK otherwise zimbabwe will continue in limbo land,just getting lower and lower in one day cricket.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
It takes a complete dunce not to realise that Zimbabwean cricket has no chance - like everything else in the country - of sorting-out their problems while the current govornment is in power.

Until Zanu PF is gone, there is no hope for anything, and I mean anything, in Zimbabwe.
yeah and people knew usaca would be able to fix our problems but it's a formal thing.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I suspect Zimbabwe have survived this long because of support provided by some ICC members...I wonder why these countries are backing Zim.. when its quite clear they do not deserve to be in the this decent and noble gathering...until they clear their country of the garbage.

And their cricket is no good either ATM. Its gone downhill and until all Cricketers of all Colour are able to play freely without fear or persecution they will not get any better...

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
And it makes it difficult for Teams everytime they have to make a decision whether to tour Zim or not...Or face fines from ICC ...

Its time they are sent out of the ICC ...IMO.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
I suspect Zimbabwe have survived this long because of support provided by some ICC members...I wonder why these countries are backing Zim.. when its quite clear they do not deserve to be in the this decent and noble gathering...until they clear their country of the garbage.

And their cricket is no good either ATM. Its gone downhill and until all Cricketers of all Colour are able to play freely without fear or persecution they will not get any better...
And it makes it difficult for Teams everytime they have to make a decision whether to tour Zim or not...Or face fines from ICC ...

Its time they are sent out of the ICC ...IMO.
A nations sports team shouldn't be excluded from because of government/it being garbage i issues otherwise no 3rd world countries would play sports. The only reason they Zims should be demoted to associate level is because of the situation with the board and the players issues not it's government's issues. Yes I know it's related but still sports team shouldn't be punished because of the racist government. So they the ICC gave them about until November to start playing test cricket again and if they don't they might get an extension to fix their **** up and after that they might get demoted.

Bracken

U19 Debutant
I suspect Zimbabwe have survived this long because of support provided by some ICC members...I wonder why these countries are backing Zim.. when its quite clear they do not deserve to be in the this decent and noble gathering...
Why is Zimbabwe supported? Easy- because they are an easily bought vote around the ICC table.

You have a ZC board that is indistinguishable from the government, a government that is desperate for foreign currency. On the other hand, you have a voting bloc that needs a couple of extra votes to have a permanent majority on the ICC board, and has plenty of cash to splash around in order to facilitate that.

Swap some of that excess cash for a priceless guaranteed vote, and you have a pretty good deal for both sides. The game ends up taking it in the derrière, which is unfortunate collateral damage.

Richard is dead right. Not a single thing in Zimbabwe will be salvageable until Zanu-PF is out. Giving ZC extra time or conditions to meet is pointless and redundant.

And I shudder to think of the ICC being referred to as a "noble gathering" right at the moment...

brockley

International Captain
The asian countries want zimbabwe's vote thats why they still remain.
But how can they remain when their team is so weak,they lost to bangladesh A for goodness' sakes,and the australian academy.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain

Corect - unfortunately there are rather a lot of dunces in the ICC so we know full well nothing will change. They will be playing Tests before this year is out,I bet you (and getting hammered - even by the current WI team!)

brockley

International Captain
They almost have to poker boy because the itinnery for the intercontinental cup is out and will go for 2 years and zimbabwe isn't included.
Also the asian countries have backed zimbabwe staying because of the crucial vote zimbabwe brings to the asian quartet.
So there is only one way to go and thats give zimbabwe their test status back,even if they are not ip to it.
Blame the asian nations for this mess and the power and greed.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Why is Zimbabwe supported? Easy- because they are an easily bought vote around the ICC table.

You have a ZC board that is indistinguishable from the government, a government that is desperate for foreign currency. On the other hand, you have a voting bloc that needs a couple of extra votes to have a permanent majority on the ICC board, and has plenty of cash to splash around in order to facilitate that.

Swap some of that excess cash for a priceless guaranteed vote, and you have a pretty good deal for both sides. The game ends up taking it in the derrière, which is unfortunate collateral damage.

Richard is dead right. Not a single thing in Zimbabwe will be salvageable until Zanu-PF is out. Giving ZC extra time or conditions to meet is pointless and redundant.

And I shudder to think of the ICC being referred to as a "noble gathering" right at the moment...
Interesting theory.. Probably an element of truth in it actually

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A nations sports team shouldn't be excluded from because of government/it being garbage i issues otherwise no 3rd world countries would play sports. The only reason they Zims should be demoted to associate level is because of the situation with the board and the players issues not it's government's issues. Yes I know it's related but still sports team shouldn't be punished because of the racist government. So they the ICC gave them about until November to start playing test cricket again and if they don't they might get an extension to fix their **** up and after that they might get demoted.
That's a very, very naive thing to think. The issues of the govornment and the ZC are intertwined, as the organisations are intertwined. Suggesting the two are separate issues - as both you and I$C$C are doing - is pure and simple head-in-the-sand stuff.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

The problems aren't as much racial as they are political and administrational, really. There is an element of racist discrimination, especially at junior levels, but it's actually not as prevalent at the highest level, especially now that they have so few players available. The top-level problems revolve around a dire, politically biased and focused administration.