Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should Zimbabwe remain a test playing nation?

School Boy/Girl Captain grant28's Avatar

Should Zimbabwe remain a test playing nation?

Personally, i dont think zimbabwe should be a test playing nation, they never play a test and when they do they get battered, they are going backwards by the day, unlike Bangladesh who have a bright future.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Zimbabwe have not been fit to play Tests and ODIs for 4 years now... and the country isn't fit for much at large either at the moment, and that will remain so long as Zanu PF is in power.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Yeah, I agree. I can't see any cricketing or moral reasons to support Zim continuing as a test nation just now.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Pinball Champion!
    It's one of the few things that nearly 100% of people will agree on.. And yet still it will go ahead and happen.. At least the ICC cock up on marginal calls every now and again, but this? Wow...
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Quote Originally Posted by grant28 View Post
    Personally, i dont think zimbabwe should be a test playing nation, they never play a test and when they do they get battered, they are going backwards by the day, unlike Bangladesh who have a bright future.
    i agree the team isn't up to test standards nor ODI standards and the country isn't the best place at the mo to stage a cricket match
    Tresco. Every boundary helps.

the ICC should give zim a time line to fix their **** up and then if they don't demote them like they did in the case of US.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    It takes a complete dunce not to realise that Zimbabwean cricket has no chance - like everything else in the country - of sorting-out their problems while the current govornment is in power.

Until Zanu PF is gone, there is no hope for anything, and I mean anything, in Zimbabwe.

International Vice-Captain
    Its funny the intercontinetal cup schedule has been named no zimbabwe,zimbabwe due to play a test series against the west indies wonder if the icc will give the OK otherwise zimbabwe will continue in limbo land,just getting lower and lower in one day cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    It takes a complete dunce not to realise that Zimbabwean cricket has no chance - like everything else in the country - of sorting-out their problems while the current govornment is in power.

Until Zanu PF is gone, there is no hope for anything, and I mean anything, in Zimbabwe.
    yeah and people knew usaca would be able to fix our problems but it's a formal thing.

I suspect Zimbabwe have survived this long because of support provided by some ICC members...I wonder why these countries are backing Zim.. when its quite clear they do not deserve to be in the this decent and noble gathering...until they clear their country of the garbage.

And their cricket is no good either ATM. Its gone downhill and until all Cricketers of all Colour are able to play freely without fear or persecution they will not get any better...

And it makes it difficult for Teams everytime they have to make a decision whether to tour Zim or not...Or face fines from ICC ...

Its time they are sent out of the ICC ...IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by JASON View Post
    I suspect Zimbabwe have survived this long because of support provided by some ICC members...I wonder why these countries are backing Zim.. when its quite clear they do not deserve to be in the this decent and noble gathering...until they clear their country of the garbage.

And their cricket is no good either ATM. Its gone downhill and until all Cricketers of all Colour are able to play freely without fear or persecution they will not get any better...
    And it makes it difficult for Teams everytime they have to make a decision whether to tour Zim or not...Or face fines from ICC ...

Its time they are sent out of the ICC ...IMO.
    A nations sports team shouldn't be excluded from because of government/it being garbage i issues otherwise no 3rd world countries would play sports. The only reason they Zims should be demoted to associate level is because of the situation with the board and the players issues not it's government's issues. Yes I know it's related but still sports team shouldn't be punished because of the racist government. So they the ICC gave them about until November to start playing test cricket again and if they don't they might get an extension to fix their **** up and after that they might get demoted.

U19 Debutant
    I suspect Zimbabwe have survived this long because of support provided by some ICC members...I wonder why these countries are backing Zim.. when its quite clear they do not deserve to be in the this decent and noble gathering...
    Why is Zimbabwe supported? Easy- because they are an easily bought vote around the ICC table.

You have a ZC board that is indistinguishable from the government, a government that is desperate for foreign currency. On the other hand, you have a voting bloc that needs a couple of extra votes to have a permanent majority on the ICC board, and has plenty of cash to splash around in order to facilitate that.

Swap some of that excess cash for a priceless guaranteed vote, and you have a pretty good deal for both sides. The game ends up taking it in the derrière, which is unfortunate collateral damage.

Richard is dead right. Not a single thing in Zimbabwe will be salvageable until Zanu-PF is out. Giving ZC extra time or conditions to meet is pointless and redundant.

And I shudder to think of the ICC being referred to as a "noble gathering" right at the moment...

International Vice-Captain
    The asian countries want zimbabwe's vote thats why they still remain.
    But how can they remain when their team is so weak,they lost to bangladesh A for goodness' sakes,and the australian academy.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Corect - unfortunately there are rather a lot of dunces in the ICC so we know full well nothing will change. They will be playing Tests before this year is out,I bet you (and getting hammered - even by the current WI team!)
    Ian Botham, Freddie Flintoff, Kevin Pietersen, Brian Laudrup, Gazza and Daniela Hantuchova....a fan of you all FOREVER!!!
    Can't wait to see Australia field a crap leg-spinner like Hollland or Hohns again.....
    Congratulations to Daniela Hantuchova on her 3rd career title....
    Bob Woolmer 1948-2007..farewell to the best coach England never had...
    Arise Sir Beefy....
    Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information