• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India vs England: 3 Tests and 7 one dayers

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Now that the WC is finally over, I was looking at the international fixtures for next year..and I came upon the England vs India series....

Does that make anyone else puke? Is there a single person in the world that would have this over four or five tests and a three or five ODIs?

Ideally, you'd have no ODIs and a full five or six Test match tour but obviously that is impossible now, but SEVEN odis? Australia played 11 ODIs in their world cup campaign..and we play seven just for the hell of it in England?

:@

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Obviously a confidence building exercise for the Indian ODI team.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You know that India's ODIs in England are always excercises in maximisation.

Gotta say, though, that a 7-ODI bilateral series isn't often my favourite exercise. I'd far rather see it split 5\5 (West Indies play just 3) from a purely playing perspective, even if the revenue would likely be far lesser that way.

Isura

U19 Captain
Isn't 7 tests standard for an English summer? It does make sense to play more tests vs India than WI. Is it tradition the reason that England still give WI 4 tests?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Now that the WC is finally over, I was looking at the international fixtures for next year..and I came upon the England vs India series....

Does that make anyone else puke? Is there a single person in the world that would have this over four or five tests and a three or five ODIs?

Ideally, you'd have no ODIs and a full five or six Test match tour but obviously that is impossible now, but SEVEN odis? Australia played 11 ODIs in their world cup campaign..and we play seven just for the hell of it in England?

:@
Same was we played over in India. It sucks

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Same was we played over in India. It sucks
There's probably some sort of reciprocal agreement, but surely the reception towards the Indian series would have been so poor when the series went down the gurgler early on that officials would have had a re-think on 7 match series?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Isn't 7 tests standard for an English summer? It does make sense to play more tests vs India than WI. Is it tradition the reason that England still give WI 4 tests?
Not sure tradition is totally an exact description, but yes, it is probably some sort of rooted-in-history reason that WI get more Tests than India, it'd have made far more sense to give WI 3 and India 4.

Nishant

International 12th Man
id rather we had 5 ODIs...the series could be won potentially in the first 4 games....leavin another 3 dead rubber games...thats not good.....but if its a much closer series, then u never know...7 might be worth while!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It meant less cricket than 3-7 and as we all know, all that matters is filling every single day in the cricket calender with international action.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah this will be ordinary at best (if the series is competitive) and God awful at worst if its anything like the last series.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Carr, the ECB’s director of cricket operations, said in a statement
"ECB and the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) have had a long-standing agreement that India’s tour to the UK would directly reciprocate the three Test Matches and seven one-day internationals played by the England team in India earlier this year."

We still have the 7/10/2 split of last year. One would have thought that India would have liked to play a T20 just before the WChamps but instead there are 2 against WI.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
7 odi's are to many. it should be like 3 tests, 5 odi's and may be 2 20/20's but 7 odi's is just to many.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
3 Tests are not enough. I would defend ICC for life no matter what they do if they mandate every Test series a five test series. :laugh:
Not practical and not advisable.

There are some cases where 3-Test-series are enough. 2, no, 3, yes.

Of course, there is the occasional series that merits 5 games - India-Pakistan, for instance.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Not practical and not advisable.

There are some cases where 3-Test-series are enough. 2, no, 3, yes.

Of course, there is the occasional series that merits 5 games - India-Pakistan, for instance.
I'd have to disagree....3 Test series are just too short IMO. Four should be the absolute minimum.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But there are times when four would not fit into the schedule.

Some people even argue that 7 Tests in a season is too many - 8 would be expandio ad absurdum.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'd have to disagree....3 Test series are just too short IMO. Four should be the absolute minimum.
Agreed. In your average 4 Test series in the English summer, you get one draw. I've got no stats backing this up, so it's probably complete nonsense. But IMO there's a better chance of a series winner when you have a 4-Test series

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I'm personally fine with the three match test series (do India deserve more?), although, I'm not particularly impressed how the West Indies regardless of history get four. My only gripe is the completely unnecessary amount of one day games, five is more than enough to determine whose the better outfit, seven is simply ludicrous.