View Poll Results: To Australian fans, which was the more satisfying victory?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Ashes

35 83.33%
  • The World Cup

7 16.67%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To Australian fans...

To Australian fans...

Which was the more satisfying victory, the Ashes or the World Cup? (Probably a touch of arrogance here, but meh.)

Ashes for mine and quite easily at that
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Ashes quite easily.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Which was the more satisfying victory, the Ashes or the World Cup? (Probably a touch of arrogance here, but meh.)

Ashes for mine and quite easily at that
    Yep, not much doubt about it really.

I hold tests as more significant that ODIs in general, and then when you add in the convincing nature of the victory, the fact that it was Ashes, and the fact that Australia had recently lost the Ashes, it was quite easily more satisfying than the WC - where I often felt that we had everything to lose and nothing to gain.

(Congrats on 9,000 btw).
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Tests > ODI

If, however, the World Cup was made competitive I'd probably have cared more. Even though we destroyed England 5-Zip, the World Cup was more of a joke, really.
    ★★★★★

The Ashes because of the revenge factor. If however, in 2005, Australia had completely destroyed the English then repeated the dosage in 2006/07, then it probably would have been a closer decision. The world cup I think just lacked a bit of back story (despite the 3 in a row).

Ashes by a country mile, oh it felt so good to see Aussies trash the Poms the way they did , but having said that i also rate WC triumph very highly to because we won it so convincingly when everyone felt Aussies won't win the WC this time around, so it was great to prove all those critics wrong

The Ashes quite easily for the simple fact that i rate test cricket in higher regard than ODI's. Still, winning the WC as extremely satisfying given the "dads army" "they've lost their aura" etc. comments in the leadup to it after losing the CH.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Haha, 15-0.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Banned
    I understand the history of the Ashes and love test cricket but I find it hard to believe Australian fans consider beating England better than beating the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    I understand the history of the Ashes and love test cricket but I find it hard to believe Australian fans consider beating England better than beating the world.
    Australian fans consider test cricket more important than one day cricket, basically.

As a New Zealander, you wouldn't understand because you don't play tests anymore.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Australian fans consider test cricket more important than one day cricket, basically.

As a New Zealander, you wouldn't understand because you don't play tests anymore.
    mmm, I suppose. Had Australia not had to regain the Ashes would the results of this poll been completely different?

International Debutant
    Easy choice of the Ashes considering England had taken them away from us after 16 years of our dominance. Revenge was sweet, very sweet. The World Cup wasn't exactly welcome, but not as much as retaining the Ashes from the English, our traditional enemies.
    Supporting: NSW & Australia, women's cricket

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    mmm, I suppose. Had Australia not had to regain the Ashes would the results of this poll been completely different?
    Yeah, because the poll is about the most satisfying victory. The least possible satisfying victory is a loss!

I assure you though, if this poll was held before the Ashes, asking which we'd rather win, the results would be very similar.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    I think the poll would have been different in 2003 on the same topic. Losing to England in '05 and then hammering them as the second best test side 5-0 on the return leg is far more satisfying than winning the WC for the third time in a row without a single challenging match. Beating a fairly mediocre England side 4-1 and then winning a pretty challenging WC with a new look side under a new captain was a different matter, and the WC was more satisfying last time, IMO.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Yeah, because the poll is about the most satisfying victory. The least possible satisfying victory is a loss!

I assure you though, if this poll was held before the Ashes, asking which we'd rather win, the results would be very similar.
    Indeed.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information