• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

To Australian fans...

To Australian fans, which was the more satisfying victory?

• Total voters

pasag

RTDAS
Which was the more satisfying victory, the Ashes or the World Cup? (Probably a touch of arrogance here, but meh.)

Ashes for mine and quite easily at that

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Which was the more satisfying victory, the Ashes or the World Cup? (Probably a touch of arrogance here, but meh.)

Ashes for mine and quite easily at that
Yep, not much doubt about it really.

I hold tests as more significant that ODIs in general, and then when you add in the convincing nature of the victory, the fact that it was Ashes, and the fact that Australia had recently lost the Ashes, it was quite easily more satisfying than the WC - where I often felt that we had everything to lose and nothing to gain.

(Congrats on 9,000 btw).

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Tests > ODI

If, however, the World Cup was made competitive I'd probably have cared more. Even though we destroyed England 5-Zip, the World Cup was more of a joke, really.

inbox24

International Debutant
The Ashes because of the revenge factor. If however, in 2005, Australia had completely destroyed the English then repeated the dosage in 2006/07, then it probably would have been a closer decision. The world cup I think just lacked a bit of back story (despite the 3 in a row).

pup11

International Coach
Ashes by a country mile, oh it felt so good to see Aussies trash the Poms the way they did:devil2: , but having said that i also rate WC triumph very highly to because we won it so convincingly when everyone felt Aussies won't win the WC this time around, so it was great to prove all those critics wrong :tongue:

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Ashes quite easily for the simple fact that i rate test cricket in higher regard than ODI's. Still, winning the WC as extremely satisfying given the "dads army" "they've lost their aura" etc. comments in the leadup to it after losing the CH.

Fiery

Banned
I understand the history of the Ashes and love test cricket but I find it hard to believe Australian fans consider beating England better than beating the world.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I understand the history of the Ashes and love test cricket but I find it hard to believe Australian fans consider beating England better than beating the world.
Australian fans consider test cricket more important than one day cricket, basically.

As a New Zealander, you wouldn't understand because you don't play tests anymore. :p

Fiery

Banned
Australian fans consider test cricket more important than one day cricket, basically.

As a New Zealander, you wouldn't understand because you don't play tests anymore. :p
mmm, I suppose. Had Australia not had to regain the Ashes would the results of this poll been completely different?

Dydl

International Debutant
Easy choice of the Ashes considering England had taken them away from us after 16 years of our dominance. Revenge was sweet, very sweet. The World Cup wasn't exactly welcome, but not as much as retaining the Ashes from the English, our traditional enemies.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
mmm, I suppose. Had Australia not had to regain the Ashes would the results of this poll been completely different?
Yeah, because the poll is about the most satisfying victory. The least possible satisfying victory is a loss! :p

I assure you though, if this poll was held before the Ashes, asking which we'd rather win, the results would be very similar.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I think the poll would have been different in 2003 on the same topic. Losing to England in '05 and then hammering them as the second best test side 5-0 on the return leg is far more satisfying than winning the WC for the third time in a row without a single challenging match. Beating a fairly mediocre England side 4-1 and then winning a pretty challenging WC with a new look side under a new captain was a different matter, and the WC was more satisfying last time, IMO.

Laurrz

International Debutant
quiet amazing through these two tournaments we didnt lose a single game and never looked like loseing a game

i think id give Ashes the nod.... loseing to England is like the worse feeling ever

if we lost the WC itd be like.. well we already won two ..thats equal most ever in a row...

Matt79

Global Moderator
If you had the choice between the Blackcaps winning the WC or whitewashing Australia in a test series, which would you choose?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think the poll would have been different in 2003 on the same topic. Losing to England in '05 and then hammering them as the second best test side 5-0 on the return leg is far more satisfying than winning the WC for the third time in a row without a single challenging match. Beating a fairly mediocre England side 4-1 and then winning a pretty challenging WC with a new look side under a new captain was a different matter, and the WC was more satisfying last time, IMO.
Undoubtedly.

This time, though, I can only see the Dasas of this World voting WC > Ashes.