Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rule change: Captain and Batsmen can refer to 3rd umpire...

Rule change: Captain and Batsmen can refer to 3rd umpire...

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/engl...ry/289918.html
    This is being tried in the counties and the fielding captain or batsman can refer to the 3rd umpire. Each team has 2 refs per innings. If they get it right the retain the two refs if they don't they'll lose them.

I think there should be negative consequence for referring a correct call and it should be like if the fielding captain gets it wrong they'll lose one of their drinks break and if the batsman gets it wrong the batting team will lose a over. Is that too harsh?
    Last edited by LA ICE-E; 29-04-2007 at 08:27 PM.

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    As if cricket wasn't complicated enough, we've survived well for so many decades now with the rules we have... why keep trying new things. It's working well the way it is tbh. Wrong decisions are a part of cricket, get over it, what goes around comes around.

Similar thing was tried in Aus Open tennis and the crowd really got into it

I dont have a problem with it but:

a. hawkeye technology is not infallible e.g. Warne bowling strauss in 2005 Ashes and Hawk-eye showing ball missing stumps

b. some umpires e.g. Rudi, might have a gripe with having their decisions questioned

Taking away a drinks break etc is not really on as questions then arise as to players' health

I hate anything that has a limited use eg. two references. Will just make the game needlessly annoying and frustrating IMO.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Cricket's turning into a game show...

Mark Nicholas: Ladies and Gentleman welcome back to Refer or Refrain. Before the break Kallis was hit on the pads and the onfield umprie gave him not out, we now have Ricky Ponting here with us who has a crucial decision. If he decides to refer the decision to the third umpire and gets it wrong he will lose one of his referals.

(Turns to Ricky Ponting)

Now, Ricky this is a tricky situation, the Kallis wicket is a vital one. Now, if you decide to refer the decison, and get it wrong it could really set you back. However, if you refain from referring the decision and you find out later that he was out you will be kicking yourself. We'll give you 10 seconds to decide. First we'll ask the crowd what they think.

(Turns to crowd)

Crowd. Should ricky ponting Refer or Refrain?

Crowd: Refer, Refer, Refer..

(Mark Nicholas turns to camera)

Mark Nicholas: There you have it folks, it's pretty clear what the crowd things.

(Turns to Ricky)

What are you going to do Ricky...
    Last edited by Mister Wright; 29-04-2007 at 08:54 PM.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post
    As if cricket wasn't complicated enough, we've survived well for so many decades now with the rules we have... why keep trying new things. It's working well the way it is tbh.
    Haha what? That is ridiculous reasoning. Cricket has changed rules a lot, and the rules now are different from rules 'decades' ago (i.e bouncers, neutral umpires, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Turbinator
    Wrong decisions are a part of cricket, get over it, what goes around comes around.
    Again, ridiculous reasoning. If I am a new player and I get out a couple times to some crap decisions, my career could be over. It's not going to help me if it 'comes around' cause I won't be playing then.

The idea to have referrals IMO is fantastic, even if the implementation is not perfect (we will have to wait and see on that point). Umpires are NOT a part of the game. They are there to make sure the game is fair, and they are not supposed to influence the result. If it's the call that decided a closely fought test series, I want to make sure the decision is right, and not live with a wrong decision on some dubious hope that it will eventually even out.

Get it right as much as you can. I think this is a step in the right direction, definitely.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Agree with silenstriker here.

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Haha what? That is ridiculous reasoning. Cricket has changed rules a lot, and the rules now are different from rules 'decades' ago (i.e bouncers, neutral umpires, etc).

Again, ridiculous reasoning. If I am a new player and I get out a couple times to some crap decisions, my career could be over. It's not going to help me if it 'comes around' cause I won't be playing then.

The idea to have referrals IMO is fantastic, even if the implementation is not perfect (we will have to wait and see on that point). Umpires are NOT a part of the game. They are there to make sure the game is fair, and they are not supposed to influence the result. If it's the call that decided a closely fought test series, I want to make sure the decision is right, and not live with a wrong decision on some dubious hope that it will eventually even out.

Get it right as much as you can. I think this is a step in the right direction, definitely.
    Yeah I know the rules have changed a lot, but really the rules right now (ATM) are just fine, IMO no need to introduce more. The game is fine the way it is.

And just how many players get their careers "ruined" by a few wrong decisions?
    Last edited by Turbinator; 29-04-2007 at 09:15 PM.

Big success at the tennis, from a crowd perspective at least. I'd only want to see fielding captains use it though, batsmen would be abit too much imo.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Big success at the tennis, from a crowd perspective at least. I'd only want to see fielding captains use it though, batsmen would be abit too much imo.
    Why? the it should be fair to both cause the batsman is the one that gets hurt the most by wrong decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post

I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by LA ICE-E View Post
    Why? the it should be fair to both cause the batsman is the one that gets hurt the most by wrong decisions.
    It would also be fair if both bowling captains have the same power. Anyways, hypothetically, it's something I'd only want in the hands of captains, not individual batsmen.

dont think that its a bad move TBH! I dont like it when important decisions in the game are not correct and can affect the match itself. Hopefullywith this rule, we dont have to worry abt stuff like that!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post
    Yeah I know the rules have changed a lot, but really the rules right now (ATM) are just fine, IMO no need to introduce more. The game is fine the way it is.
    Not really. Completely agree with Dasa and LA-ICE-E.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Good decision. They did something similar in the Australian Open.
    ★★★★★

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information