• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dick Motz passed away last night

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
The story about his back injury is staggering. How he kept bowling with such pain is beyond me.

Fiery

Banned
The story about his back injury is staggering. How he kept bowling with such pain is beyond me.
Some modern day players could take a leaf out of that book imo. Old fashioned opinion, I know, but some guys stub their toe and they're out for 6 weeks

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBH, though, it was only because he didn't know. Anyway... probably not the right time.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Doubt he knew exactly the extent, though - given that he retired as soon as he found-out the truth.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Debatable that he's < D.Hadlee, Collinge and Taylor tbh. Jack Cowie should be mentioned in this category too
R Hadlee and Collinge > all other NZ seamers, TBH IMO. D Hadlee and Taylor more debatable.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Had plenty of ability with the bat too - probably should have averaged closer to 20.

Great bowler, wish I could see some decent footage of him in action.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting comments on the radio today from one of the longer-serving columnists in the country, Joseph Romanos. Apparently, Motz's son was randomly murdered in the middle of Christchurch while minding his own business, and Dick never really got over it. Battled massive weight problems in his latter years as well.