• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are there many of these unfortunate players? and if so why?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I never said it had anything to do with his first class cricket.

He was 'talked off' as a good fit in the INDIAN ODI side.

I am not arguing about his first class record or his suitability for the longer version, am I ?
I wasn't accusing you of calling him One-Day player only, just the notion of it :)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Chris Rogers is considered by a number of judges in Australia to be ahead of Jacques to replace Langer, or at least he was at the end of the Pura Cup season here. He's a very good player.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
True, but that was where Hussey scored the majority of his runs a few years ago too.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Gets talked about as a bit of a Langer-type - gritsy, just keeps on making runs. Grinds totals out consistently.

_GB_

Cricket Spectator
Michael Di Venuto. 18307 FC runs, an average of 44.21 and has never played a Test.

Hopefully he'll not become a Test player and can stay at Durham for a while.

Xuhaib

International Coach
me thinks if you look at pakistan domestic cricket, most of their fast bowlers have records that would be envied by other countries. 2 such examples are fahad masood who has 222 wickets @ 22.45 in 63 games and Wasim Khan who has 264 wickets @ 23.48 in 59 games.

I would think its similar to the story with Indian batsmen, considering every second batsman there averages 50+. 2 of the more popular names that come to mind are Amol Muzumdar and Sridharan Sriram both of whom have never played a test for India despite averaging 50+. Makes you wonder about the kind of pitches they play on.
There is nothing special about these two they are as mediocre as it can get.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But "road" pitches in England are virtually an everyday occurrance. That was what I meant by why the "roads and in England" when "roads in England" would have been more accurate.

Not, obviously, that he's incapable of scoring on roads in Australia.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
But "road" pitches in England are virtually an everyday occurrance. That was what I meant by why the "roads and in England" when "roads in England" would have been more accurate.

Not, obviously, that he's incapable of scoring on roads in Australia.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
What about some of the players during the West Indies golden era?. Surely their would have been some openers who were pretty good & couldn't get a go due to the presence of Greenidge/Haynes?. Some quicks like Sylvester Clark & Franklyn Stevenson who would have been first choice in most sides & maybe a keeper who couldn't get a run because of Dujon?

sideshowtim

Banned
How about Dave Hussey? His name is never mentioned and he's been carving up County Cricket for some time now. Has shown he is obviously a force to be reckoned with in the shorter form of the game too. Can hit the ball a very long way.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What about some of the players during the West Indies golden era?. Surely their would have been some openers who were pretty good & couldn't get a go due to the presence of Greenidge/Haynes?. Some quicks like Sylvester Clark & Franklyn Stevenson who would have been first choice in most sides & maybe a keeper who couldn't get a run because of Dujon?
Agreed, Wayne Daniel and Sylvester Clarke, would take 300+wickets if they were in todays era.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There was certainly a wicketkeeper who played just a single Test because of Dujon - his name was Thelston Payne. How gutting must it have been for him to see nonsense like David Williams and Courtney Browne getting into the side after Dujon?

Clarke was one of several fine seamers to miss-out on any Test career of note - Daniel, as already mentioned, was also a superb bowler but lost-out to Croft in the post-WSC make-up; a player who virtually never gets any mention is Tony Gray, who had a Test average of 20 but played just a single season in between Holding and Garner's disappearence and the appearence of Ambrose and Bishop (who himself was desperately unlucky with injury). Then there was Winston Benjamin, who hardly played due to Ambrose, Bishop, Walsh, Patterson and his namesake Kenneth Benjamin, despite probably being a better bowler than the last two.

Stephenson, though, had only himself to blame for not having a career. He went on a rebel tour (as, of course, did Clarke once his time was gone).

Last edited: