• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

One Day World Record

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The guy only played 16 games and thats not enough games to recover from a few bad games.
He still (in only 16 games) has more hundreds than Vaughan, Bell, Prince etc combined and played like a destructive force of nature.

The problems was people wanted him to fail and when he had a few bad games in a row he was dropped, and when recalled (hopefully due to public pressure) they couldnt wait for him to fail and quickly jetison him again.
LOL so basically etc means everyone who hasn't scored one..

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
In 2006 there were only 50 English-qualified players with higher averages.
Admittedly that does drop to 43 by 2005 so maybe you do have a point...
You so love to write things irrelevant to the posts I make rather than address the question.

ok so bring those list together and show how many were better in both seasons and scored a reasonable amount of runs and if you want to add in scoring a century and having a reasonable strike rate then do that.

If you are going to state something, do it properly.

I love how you skirt the issue rather than provide any meat.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
You so love to write things irrelevant to the posts I make rather than address the question.

ok so bring those list together and show how many were better in both seasons and scored a reasonable amount of runs and if you want to add in scoring a century and having a reasonable strike rate then do that.
Well, I've gone for 400 runs, but I guess that might be a bit low.

Based on that, he's got 35 ahead of him:

Of course, make it 600 and it drops down to 30...

Code:
		Runs	Outs	Average
CR Taylor	 564	 9	62.67
AN Cook		 462	 8	57.75
CC Benham	 487	 9	54.11
A Flower	 930	19	48.95
ME Trescothick	 927	19	48.79
MA Butcher	 629	13	48.38
OA Shah		1261	27	46.70
ID Blackwell	 766	17	45.06
MP Vaughan	 449	10	44.90
MR Ramprakash	 975	23	42.39
NV Knight	1184	28	42.29
U Afzaal	1179	28	42.11
PN Weekes	1165	28	41.61
RS Bopara	 808	20	40.40
JGE Benning	1161	29	40.03
MB Loye		1197	30	39.90
WJ Durston	 433	11	39.36
KP Pietersen	 862	22	39.18
IJL Trott	 959	25	38.36
PA Nixon	 726	19	38.21
JWM Dalrymple	1026	27	38.00
MJ Wood 	1138	30	37.93
PD Collingwood	 908	24	37.83
KA Parsons	 793	21	37.76
CMW Read	 714	19	37.58
RR Montgomerie	 818	22	37.18
IR Bell		 815	22	37.05
CJ Adams	 924	25	36.96
SR Patel	 700	19	36.84
DL Hemp		 790	22	35.91
CG Taylor	 712	20	35.60
SG Law		 923	26	35.50
AJ Strauss	 814	23	35.39
VS Solanki	1165	33	35.30
SD Stubbings	1077	31	34.74
AD Brown	1001	29	34.52

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
If he averages 34.52 over 2 season, there's no way he can avaerage over 35 in each of them.

36th place is pretty low for "one of the best 2 batsmen in OD domestic Cricket" - although to be fair there are some there who've actually played more International cricket in that time, which is clearly going to make a difference as it's obviously a much easier standard for them to boost their averages in.

You ask for a list, I provide it...

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
2006 AD Brown 456 runs @ 35.07
2005 AD Brown 610 runs @ 35.88

Dont see what the problem is.

He is the only guy apart from Trescothick to score lots of runs and a century in each of the last 2 seasons at a decent strike rate.

The model of consistency over the past 2 years. Not someone padding their stats one year to fail the next.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
2006 AD Brown 456 runs @ 35.07
2005 AD Brown 610 runs @ 35.88

Dont see what the problem is.

He is the only guy apart from Trescothick to score lots of runs and a century in each of the last 2 seasons at a decent strike rate.

The model of consistency over the past 2 years. Not someone padding their stats one year to fail the next.
Or someone who plays at The Oval in both those seasons...he's been outdone by Benning (in terms of average, similar SR - oh, but I forget, Benning only has one hundred...), Ramprakash (only in average admittedly) and Butcher (same) in his own team. Yet Surrey don't do anything except mediocrity in one-day county cricket. I wonder why?

And both previous years he had rubbish stats - he averages about 30 over a period of four years, despite two hundreds which ought to make it quite hard to average as low as 30.

Oh, and "the list" of foreign players in English county cricket who meet those criteria is empty, too. So is the list of players in South African domestic cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Or someone who plays at The Oval in both those seasons...he's been outdone by Benning (in terms of average, similar SR - oh, but I forget, Benning only has one hundred...), Ramprakash (only in average admittedly) and Butcher (same) in his own team. Yet Surrey don't do anything except mediocrity in one-day county cricket. I wonder why?
Neil Saker and Jade Dernbach are two of the biggest reasons.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
They've both been around a few years now in any case, but no, I never expect either to amount to anything.

Perhaps it'd be unfair to expect them to be Martin Bicknells, but I can't imagine they'll ever come close and they HAVE been absolutely abysmal to date, start of their careers or not.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Dernbach has only played 6 FC games and 19 List-A matches
Saker has played 10 FC games and 15 List-A matches

How often do you see young bowlers come into the first team and immedaitely have success?.It's difficult to write them of because although they have been pretty poor to date they are still young men and have very little experience in FC cricket.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member

How often do you see young bowlers come into the first team and immedaitely have success?.It's difficult to write them of because although they have been pretty poor to date they are still young men and have very little experience in FC cricket.
It is when you have seen them bowl and in the case of Saker played against him. The only thing Neil has got is height and he can hold a bat with some distinction. Dernbach is slightly better for his some resonates of pace but again his all over the shop. Two cricketers who are simply not good enough but hindered by bowling on wickets which are graveyards for even the best.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Did you face him in the nets or in a competitive match?.
I've faced a couple of the Surrey boys in the nets and what not but I played against Neil in a 'friendly' game. However, Saker was not representing Surrey unfortunately.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Not all that often but equally you don't see two who are as all-over-the-shop as those 2 all that often either.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So the likes of Knight, Afzaal and Wood don't count then?

Not to mention the other who've scored more runs at a higher average than him...

36th place is not one normally associated with someone who is "one of the best 2"