• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brad Hogg as a test match option

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I know he is 36 (but funny thing is he is probably a 26 year old trapped in 36 year old body), i know that he previous performances in test cricket has not been anything special and i know that his FC record isn't that special either. But based on his performances in the world cup its fair to say that he is in the form of his life. His variations have improved a great deal especially his use of the wrong un (however you spell it) & his control is superb.

Some people may use the argument that his success is based on that fact that the seamers have been able to knock oppositon top orders over most of the time & he has been able to thrive on that. Personally i don't think one can use that fact againts him since that is what most good spinners thrive on i.e even Warne needed that luxury in his final tour of India.

So given that none of the young spinners in Australia have been able to step up just yet & gievn that MacGill's performances for NSW last season wasn't that special, maybe a sign that MacGill is probably losing it with age, i think Hogg should seriously be considered as a test option. Obviously domestic performances will play a key part in selection, but IMO if Hogg can outbowl MacGill at the start of the domestic season he should be given the a go in the test side.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Yes he does, he obviously doesn't play as much anymore due to his presence in the ODI side. Even his few FC games for WA last season were pretty good.

deeps

International 12th Man
lol he's not considered the best FC option in WA. I believe beau casson plays ahead of hogg in FC cricket.

Quite mind boggling really that someone could be right up there in international one day cricket, and can't play for his state side!

EDIT: I can't even see Casson on that list! Hmm..it's been a while since i've followed state cricket :(

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
lol he's not considered the best FC option in WA. I believe beau casson plays ahead of hogg in FC cricket.

Quite mind boggling really that someone could be right up there in international one day cricket, and can't play for his state side!

EDIT: I can't even see Casson on that list! Hmm..it's been a while since i've followed state cricket :(
Beau Casson plays for NSW now..

I like Hogg and I've mentioned it before on here, I think he should play if we are playing 2 spinners definately.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There could be worse options. MacGill should be the one, but Hogg has proven me wrong and shown he is capable at this level.

Mister Wright

lol, so Hogg IS their number 1 spinner now?
Aaron Heal has been their first choice FC spinner. Started last season fairly well IIRC, but didn't see many of the scores towards the end of the season, so not too sure if he was still performing well or even still in the side.

social

Was thinking same thing during final - Hogg is a much improved bolwer, good fieldsman and useful lower-order bat

Whilst, IMO, MacGill has been shamefully treated by selectors over the years, he could be one of those players that never realised true potential due to "wrong place, wrong time"

Natman20

International Debutant
Hogg is only effective at ODIs. The thing is that like a few spinners he puts pressure on the batsman to score runs and therefore wouldn't be as effective if he was in a test situation. The same goes for Vettori who is not as effective in tests. I would place MAcGill ahead of him in tests because he worked well with Warne. They could even both play together but I don't think that would be very effective.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Hogg is only effective at ODIs. The thing is that like a few spinners he puts pressure on the batsman to score runs and therefore wouldn't be as effective if he was in a test situation. The same goes for Vettori who is not as effective in tests. I would place MAcGill ahead of him in tests because he worked well with Warne. They could even both play together but I don't think that would be very effective.

Yeah I agree with that......I think with the pressure of having to score runs quickly not around, batsmen would handle Hogg pretty well.

Given Australia's opponents next year are Sri Lanka and India, two teams who play wrist spin very well, I' can't see Hogg playing tbh.

Nishant

International 12th Man
I think Gogg would be good for test matches TBH....but he is 36...you really have to look at how far he will go in a test match career TBH. He is nly ghoing to play a year more if that...its best if the aussies choose someone who is younger and is likely to play another 10 years or so. Its like india would choose Chawla to replace Kumble.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I have heard a few people say that Hogg's variations are a lot harder to pick (specifically the wrong'un) with the white ball, because the contrast between the colours of the seam and the ball aren't as distinctive as with the red ball, so batsmen find him a lot easier to pick in FC cricket.

howardj

International Coach
I reckon he's a damn good chance to jag a tour to Pakistan next March.

That's a challenging tour that one.

I don't think they'll care about investing in youth for such a difficult tour.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I have heard a few people say that Hogg's variations are a lot harder to pick (specifically the wrong'un) with the white ball, because the contrast between the colours of the seam and the ball aren't as distinctive as with the red ball, so batsmen find him a lot easier to pick in FC cricket.
Thats pretty interesting. Seems to make sense.

Ive not seen enough of Hogg in FC cricket to make a definative statement on his prospects at Test level, but I would find it encouraging that he is passing the outside edge of the defensive bat in OD cricket. His wickets are not coming just from slogs etc but from aggressively defeating the defensive batsman and that bodes well for Test cricket.

However, it could be how Jack suggests and that this ability to decieve is down to the white ball and will not translate to the red ball.

Bob Bamber

U19 12th Man
Australia need to make a decision. Pick an experienced spinner. Or Start again. A Lee , Clark , Bracken , White/Cullen bowling attack maybe wouldn't be the worst Idea , and it looks much better than most bowling attacks in the World. You'll get 2-3 good years tops out of MacGill or Hogg. Then what. White has the batting. The thing people need to remember is that the next spinner isn't Shane Warne. There isn't a production line of them. They won't be playing in 3 years time. So then what , then Cullen.

If I've missed some brilliant Aussie spinner then OK , but they've got to make a decision.

jammay123

State 12th Man
whats the point in picling hogg. at 37 he is just too old the aussies need to look towards the future coz in a few years theyll just have to find a new spinner anyway

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Whilst, IMO, MacGill has been shamefully treated by selectors over the years, he could be one of those players that never realised true potential due to "wrong place, wrong time"
Or he could be one of those who's hugely overrated due to said trait...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, how fascinating.

social

TBF to Hogg, the fact that batsman cant pick him from the hand is a victory of sorts in any event

Picking a bowler by reference to seam rotation mid-flight is far trickier and provides substantially less time for the batsman to adjust