Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Brad Hogg as a test match option

Brad Hogg as a test match option

I know he is 36 (but funny thing is he is probably a 26 year old trapped in 36 year old body), i know that he previous performances in test cricket has not been anything special and i know that his FC record isn't that special either. But based on his performances in the world cup its fair to say that he is in the form of his life. His variations have improved a great deal especially his use of the wrong un (however you spell it) & his control is superb.

Some people may use the argument that his success is based on that fact that the seamers have been able to knock oppositon top orders over most of the time & he has been able to thrive on that. Personally i don't think one can use that fact againts him since that is what most good spinners thrive on i.e even Warne needed that luxury in his final tour of India.

So given that none of the young spinners in Australia have been able to step up just yet & gievn that MacGill's performances for NSW last season wasn't that special, maybe a sign that MacGill is probably losing it with age, i think Hogg should seriously be considered as a test option. Obviously domestic performances will play a key part in selection, but IMO if Hogg can outbowl MacGill at the start of the domestic season he should be given the a go in the test side.

Hogg doesn't even play FC for his state anymore, I find to hard to see how he'd outbowl MacGill without playing any matches.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

Yes he does, he obviously doesn't play as much anymore due to his presence in the ODI side. Even his few FC games for WA last season were pretty good.

lol he's not considered the best FC option in WA. I believe beau casson plays ahead of hogg in FC cricket.

Quite mind boggling really that someone could be right up there in international one day cricket, and can't play for his state side!

EDIT: I can't even see Casson on that list! Hmm..it's been a while since i've followed state cricket

Quote Originally Posted by deeps View Post
    lol he's not considered the best FC option in WA. I believe beau casson plays ahead of hogg in FC cricket.

Quite mind boggling really that someone could be right up there in international one day cricket, and can't play for his state side!

EDIT: I can't even see Casson on that list! Hmm..it's been a while since i've followed state cricket
    Beau Casson plays for NSW now..

I like Hogg and I've mentioned it before on here, I think he should play if we are playing 2 spinners definately.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    There could be worse options. MacGill should be the one, but Hogg has proven me wrong and shown he is capable at this level.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Beau Casson plays for NSW now..

lol, so Hogg IS their number 1 spinner now?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by deeps View Post
    lol, so Hogg IS their number 1 spinner now?
    Aaron Heal has been their first choice FC spinner. Started last season fairly well IIRC, but didn't see many of the scores towards the end of the season, so not too sure if he was still performing well or even still in the side.

Was thinking same thing during final - Hogg is a much improved bolwer, good fieldsman and useful lower-order bat

Whilst, IMO, MacGill has been shamefully treated by selectors over the years, he could be one of those players that never realised true potential due to "wrong place, wrong time"

International Debutant Natman20's Avatar
    Hogg is only effective at ODIs. The thing is that like a few spinners he puts pressure on the batsman to score runs and therefore wouldn't be as effective if he was in a test situation. The same goes for Vettori who is not as effective in tests. I would place MAcGill ahead of him in tests because he worked well with Warne. They could even both play together but I don't think that would be very effective.

International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Natman20 View Post
    Hogg is only effective at ODIs. The thing is that like a few spinners he puts pressure on the batsman to score runs and therefore wouldn't be as effective if he was in a test situation. The same goes for Vettori who is not as effective in tests. I would place MAcGill ahead of him in tests because he worked well with Warne. They could even both play together but I don't think that would be very effective.

Yeah I agree with that......I think with the pressure of having to score runs quickly not around, batsmen would handle Hogg pretty well.

Given Australia's opponents next year are Sri Lanka and India, two teams who play wrist spin very well, I' can't see Hogg playing tbh.
    Zinedine Zidane is the greatest footballer ever !

Richard Dickinson - you little beauty !!!!

I think Gogg would be good for test matches TBH....but he is 36...you really have to look at how far he will go in a test match career TBH. He is nly ghoing to play a year more if that...its best if the aussies choose someone who is younger and is likely to play another 10 years or so. Its like india would choose Chawla to replace Kumble.

I have heard a few people say that Hogg's variations are a lot harder to pick (specifically the wrong'un) with the white ball, because the contrast between the colours of the seam and the ball aren't as distinctive as with the red ball, so batsmen find him a lot easier to pick in FC cricket.

I reckon he's a damn good chance to jag a tour to Pakistan next March.

That's a challenging tour that one.

I don't think they'll care about investing in youth for such a difficult tour.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    I have heard a few people say that Hogg's variations are a lot harder to pick (specifically the wrong'un) with the white ball, because the contrast between the colours of the seam and the ball aren't as distinctive as with the red ball, so batsmen find him a lot easier to pick in FC cricket.
    Thats pretty interesting. Seems to make sense.

Ive not seen enough of Hogg in FC cricket to make a definative statement on his prospects at Test level, but I would find it encouraging that he is passing the outside edge of the defensive bat in OD cricket. His wickets are not coming just from slogs etc but from aggressively defeating the defensive batsman and that bodes well for Test cricket.

However, it could be how Jack suggests and that this ability to decieve is down to the white ball and will not translate to the red ball.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information