• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aussie Tribute Thread - Most Successful Season Ever?

howardj

International Coach
Just thinking today that this Summer from Australia surely must be the best ever for a single team.

To win the Ashes 5-0 and take the Test team to within 5 matches of the record streak, and to win the two biggest ODI tournaments in the World, all in the space of seven months is quite freakish.

They were ruthless and nobody got near them.

Whatever you think of them, they are absolute winners. And, in the end, that's their job.

Well done boys!

I feel privileged to have seen it.

pasag

RTDAS
Awesome side, love nearly every player. Been a great summer, the highlight was obviously the Ashes, waking up early, stinking hot weather watching Australia do amazingly. Also feel privileged to have watched this great side, think I've seen nearly every game since the DLF cup through to the CT, Ashes, CB, CH and now World Cup. It's been an awesome few months. Going to be ages till the next Australia game though :( At least I've got my Ashes DVD to pass the time.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
It's a bit hard to gauge don't you think?

Refresh my memory if you don't mind, but was the CT played in 2003 and 1999? Add to that the Ashes?

Just a side note, did anyone hear Nicholas say something along the lines of "Australia have won the treble; CT, Ashes and the WC"? Surely you got to think before you say things like that, could Ireland of won the 'treble'?

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
England beat you in a ODI series, so you weren't as all sweeping as you say ;)

And that Chappell-Hadlee Trophy wasn't a huge success either.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yeah, I have to say that it wasn't a perfect season because we did lose the CB trophy and then the CH trophy. Now the reality is that we don't really care about either of those outcomes given the performance now put in at the World Cup, but it makes the season one of the very very best, but certainly not perfect.

There's always next year I suppose! And in 2008 we're playing 20 tests, plus the normal ODIs - if we can get through that calender year without losing an international fixture, that would be awesome!

Yes, that's right, I want MORE!!!

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, I have to say that it wasn't a perfect season because we did lose the CB trophy and then the CH trophy. Now the reality is that we don't really care about either of those outcomes given the performance now put in at the World Cup, but it makes the season one of the very very best, but certainly not perfect.

There's always next year I suppose! And in 2008 we're playing 20 tests, plus the normal ODIs - if we can get through that calender year without losing an international fixture, that would be awesome!

Yes, that's right, I want MORE!!!
*agrees* :)

pup11

International Coach
No, this has hardly been the best season the Aussies have had, they lost the CB Series and they were destroyed and black-washed in the C-H Trophy.

But the Aussies were pumped up after those loses and they came into the WC with a point to prove that they still are the best side in the world, and boy didn't they do that in style!

pasag

RTDAS
Regaining the Ashes 5-0, winning the CT for the first time and going undefeated thorugh the WC, when have we ever had a greater season? (asking here).

Matt79

Global Moderator
Regaining the Ashes 5-0, winning the CT for the first time and going undefeated thorugh the WC, when have we ever had a greater season? (asking here).
1948 tour of England is the only thing that comes to mind.

Perm

England beat you in a ODI series, so you weren't as all sweeping as you say ;)

And that Chappell-Hadlee Trophy wasn't a huge success either.
Was thinking pretty much this when I saw this thread, although the season has been very successful, surely there has been better seasons for Australia? They lost 2 ODI series, whilst not huge, they still lost.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Was thinking pretty much this when I saw this thread, although the season has been very successful, surely there has been better seasons for Australia? They lost 2 ODI series, whilst not huge, they still lost.
Normally those losses would be a pretty big deal. But in the context of the CT being in October, a 5-0 Ashes whitewash in Nov-Jan, and a World Cup win in March-April, they mean less. That's an awesome treble, and while it certainly wasn't a perfect six month because of those losses, its hard to think of when we've had a better season.

Perm

Normally those losses would be a pretty big deal. But in the context of the CT being in October, a 5-0 Ashes whitewash in Nov-Jan, and a World Cup win in March-April, they mean less. That's an awesome treble, and while it certainly wasn't a perfect six month because of those losses, its hard to think of when we've had a better season.
That is true, I suppose you could argue that statistically that have had better seasons. It has been pretty convincing for the Australians, they weren't perfect in the Champions Trophy but they were pretty damn close in both the Ashes and World Cup.

sideshowtim

Banned
Ponting's triple crown is complete. He said everything we do will work towards the Champions Trophy, Ashes and World Cup. We won all of them, and easily at that. This has been the greatest summer of all and I think under Waugh/Ponting Australia have had the greatest team in cricketing history. And are certainly the greatest cricketing nation of all time.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yea, excellent season. Hopefully with the loss of McGrath, more tests over the next two years will be closer. They obviously won't lose or draw any series at home, but hopefully some series will be real contests when they tour outside (though I don't really have much hope of that).