• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who should be dropped in the Australia side?

Matt79

Global Moderator
Really? I dont think many did. In fact this WC was always going to be very one sided.
The chattering masses did predictably over-reacted to the Australian losses in the CB and CH series - at least they did here.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yes. Totally endorse this line. Australia should be ashamed of themselves for not embracing mediocrity as the rest of the world has done.

Better still. Lets ban all the current test sides from participating in the world cup.

Imagine a Super-Eight stage with Oman, Uganda, Canada, USA, Denmark, Papua New Guinea, Namibia and UAE.

After all it is close contests that provide entertainment and not high quality performances.
:sleep:
Geraint Jones could play for PNG and actually make some runs..

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Uh, no way. Remember Australia came into the WC after 5 consecutive ODI losses. People said it would be the closest with plenty of teams in the running to win it. Australia lifted above the rest of the world comfortably though.
Who are these people? There were only 2 good teams coming into this WC. Aus and SA. Sri played very well and progressed but after Aus and SA the rest were a step or 2 behind.

Aus knocked an inconsistant SA out in the Semis and were the only people capable of winning.

Recorded for posterity, I predicted it was nigh on impossible for any other team apart from Aus or SA to win the WC. The complete opposite of an open tournament.

The other teams were very average.

pasag

RTDAS
Well most people couldn't separate teams 2/3-8 before the WC with most sides winning at one stage or another in the lead up and most sides looking in good form, it was supposed to be the tightest World Cup ever. The result was always going to be Australia (or SA according to alot of people), but the other matches between India, Pakistan, England, WI, NZ and SL and even SA were supposed to be all very tight, making ti the most exciting World Cup ever. Even I, wrongly, thought that would be the case. (And if it wasn't for those meddling Ireland and Bangladesh it just might have been :p)

That's really what was most disappointing about this WC, it was supposed to be exciting with minial 'minnows' (sorry LA-ICE) and an epic Super 8 stoush between sides that had very little between them. However, we got this.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Yes. Totally endorse this line. Australia should be ashamed of themselves for not embracing mediocrity as the rest of the world has done.

Better still. Lets ban all the current test sides from participating in the world cup.

Imagine a Super-Eight stage with Oman, Uganda, Canada, USA, Denmark, Papua New Guinea, Namibia and UAE.

After all it is close contests that provide entertainment and not high quality performances.
:sleep:
Yeah I agree!! Cause looking back at the world cricket league, that was way more exciting than this wc.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Well most people couldn't separate teams 2/3-8 before the WC with most sides winning at one stage or another in the lead up and most sides looking in good form, it was supposed to be the tightest World Cup ever. The result was always going to be Australia (or SA according to alot of people), but the other matches between India, Pakistan, England, WI, NZ and SL and even SA were supposed to be all very tight, making ti the most exciting World Cup ever. Even I, wrongly, thought that would be the case. (And if it wasn't for those meddling Ireland and Bangladesh it just might have been :p)

That's really what was most disappointing about this WC, it was supposed to be exciting with minial 'minnows' (sorry LA-ICE) and an epic Super 8 stoush between sides that had very little between them. However, we got this.
Don't bring the associates into this:p. It would have still been an exciting one had the the rest of the teams played competitive games. the only exciting part of this wc was the associates imo. and that wi vs eng game

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Who are these people? There were only 2 good teams coming into this WC. Aus and SA. Sri played very well and progressed but after Aus and SA the rest were a step or 2 behind.

Aus knocked an inconsistant SA out in the Semis and were the only people capable of winning.

Recorded for posterity, I predicted it was nigh on impossible for any other team apart from Aus or SA to win the WC. The complete opposite of an open tournament.

The other teams were very average.

How exactly were RSA the only other good team in the WC ? South Africa's victories had all come in the comfort of home over the preceding year -- I was one of the few who pointed out that their facile wins at home did not give a true picture of how good they were . WHen they played away , SRi Lanka in 2005, the VB series in 2005-2006 and the CT in Indioa in 2006, they hardly displayed the form of a world no.1 team....

Contrast this with SL who reached the VB series finals, hammered England 5-0 away, drew 2-2 in NZL and pushed India pretty hard without Malinga and Vass in India.

The fact that South Africa wre hammered by AUstralia and more significantly beaten by Bangladesh, suggests to me that they were not world cup winning material.