• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Guardian (UK) rates the world's best 11 to take on Australia

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
More talented than Steve though.
Indeed, but gave his wicket away more easily due to being a more flamboyant batsman. That's what is important. And also why his eventual Test average is 8 runs lower than Steve's current average,

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
It was entertaining while he was around though.
Indeed. A great player...if only he was English :lol: No actually we have our own Mark Waugh...in John Crawley...just as strong through the leg side, actually leg side against pace and against spin in General this guy is very good. Now if I could flick my wrists and time the ball that well...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
You're not seriously comparing Mark Waugh to John Crawley are you?

One's probably the most talented and graceful batsman with an international playing twin of the 90's and the other's John Crawley.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by marc71178
You're not seriously comparing Mark Waugh to John Crawley are you?

One's probably the most talented and graceful batsman with an international playing twin of the 90's and the other's John Crawley.
Hahaha, well they both are extreamly strong through the leg side...:lol:

Bazza

International 12th Man
Originally posted by marc71178One's probably the most talented and graceful batsman with an international playing twin of the 90's and the other's John Crawley.
This doesn't make sense - it sounds like you're describing Mark as one of the best batsman of the 90's with a twin. Or maybe it was meant to be a joke and I'm too tire to pick up on it. Ah, who cares.

Personally I'd sooner compare him with Trescothick.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by howzthat

Surely Akhter deserve to be in the playing 11 , can't think of many other pacers that can give hard time to Australia other than Akhter
If it's just based on average/performance against Australia, then no way should he be in.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
what ? based on average or performance ? I think eithe rway he deserves to be in there. HE has produced devasating spells against their battign line up. I dont think anyone can match that ?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
But apart from that..... ;)
Well one sounds like the Pope if you loose his last name...and strangely looks like him too...the other is...errrm...Married? :lol:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Let's end the Waugh/Crawley thing, eh?

Shoaib was an oversight, he should have been in, and I omitted Trescothick because I was picking it as a side vs Australia and the Aussies appear to have Tresco's measure.

If it's based on performance against Aus, how do you justify Shoaib?
If there is one bowler that had troubled Australia in recent time, then it has been Akhter.Infact had the immature Pakistani batsmen batted with a bit more application, Pakistan would have won the match purely on the basis of brilliant effort Akhter.His spell in the match played in Sharjah has been described as the best in the history of test cricket, and his average in the series was 12.66!!!

Now if you want to omit Akhter just because his performance against Australia a couple of years back wasn't good, and want to overlook his recent performance then it doesn't look smart move to me.

OZOZ

Cricket Spectator
Well talking about average, Shane Bond has an ave of 93.66 against Australia !!

Still i would like to see Bond playing against Australia, i know that average is only going to move in one direction, and that is downward.And Akhter should definately be in the team, unless you want to give Australia a cakewalk.

I would go for,

Vaughan
Gibbs
Lara
Kallis
Sachin
Flower
Pollock(c)
Bond
Akhter
Murali
Vettori