• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Guardian (UK) rates the world's best 11 to take on Australia

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by age_master
yeah rik vaughn cant average 50 in county cricket - am i the only one around here who sees a problem with that
OK, this year he played 2 CC games - pointless discussing due to lack of games.

Last year he played 7 and averaged 51.76 and the year before he played 9 and averaged 49.78.

It's also all about quality not quantity.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
why the hell would you pick an englishman in the world XI
Another reason could be the fact he's got more Test runs than any other player this year?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Originally posted by chris.hinton
My 11 would be (Not in order)

Gibbs
Vaughan
Kallis
Lara
Tendulkar
Flower
Inzerman-ul-haq
Bond
Pollock
Vertotti
Muril

12th man : Darren Gough
other players Kaneria, Hussain, Ntini

[Edited on 5/12/2002 by chris.hinton]
What? No leg spinner in the first XI?:)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Why wouldn't you select an Englishman? If he's a good enough player he deserves to be selected. Does one bad series....against Australia for that matter.....make England crap?? From what I recall they've played some pretty decent cricket over the past couple of years.

Mr Mxyzptlk

A mediocre FC average is unimportant if you have a good Test average. Look at Trescothick. When he got into the England team, his avge was only just over 30 and he's been brilliant for them. If I'm not mistaken, his TC avge is still higher than his FC avge.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
yeah rik vaughn cant average 50 in county cricket - am i the only one around here who sees a problem with that

aussies go over ther and average 60+, if heyden went over there the way hes playing at th e moment he could emulate bradmans scores and average and if vaughhn cant even aerage 40 in that there must be something wrong
Right...1st of all he rarely plays County Cricket due to the central contracts and also I don't think it really matters what he averages in County Cricket if he's averaging around 50 in Test Cricket...I mean which average will help you win Tests?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
Why wouldn't you select an Englishman? If he's a good enough player he deserves to be selected. Does one bad series....against Australia for that matter.....make England crap?? From what I recall they've played some pretty decent cricket over the past couple of years.
Finally someone remembers! This is only the 3rd Series England have lost since they lost to New Zealand in 1999, and 2 of them were against Australia and one against India in India which Australia didn't even manage to win in!. England have played very well since! Or did they loose against South Africa that winter? I dunno, anyway they have lost less series than most other teams and have looked a unit until injuries screwed up selection for the Ashes.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator

aussies go over ther and average 60+, if heyden went over there the way hes playing at th e moment he could emulate bradmans scores and average and if vaughhn cant even aerage 40 in that there must be something wrong
Look at Warnie's FC stats...

My 30 Man Squad

Openers
Herschelle Gibbs
Michael Vaughan
Sanath Jayasuriya
Gary Kirsten

Batsmen
Brian Lara
Sachin Tendulkar
Sourav Ganguly
Rahul Dravid
Mahela Jayawardene
Inzamam-ul-Haq
Yousuf Youhana
Nathan Astle

All Rounders
Jacques Kallis
Grant Flower
Abdul Razzaq
Chris Cairns
Shaun Pollock

Wicketkeepers
Mark Boucher
Andy Flower
Kumar Sangakkara

Fast Bowlers
Makhaya Ntini
Heath Streak
Simon Jones
Waqar Younis
Chaminda Vaas
Shane Bond

Spinners
Harbhajan Singh
Saqlain Mushtaq
Muttiah Muralitharan
Daniel Vettori

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by marc71178
4 openers but no Trescothick?
Errrm...but he hasn't done anything really against Australia...even though he's a very fine batsman.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Why are Rest of World XI picked on "performances against Aus"?

Surely it's all performances that count.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
No its a rest of the world squad to beat Australia. And since Tresco has done little against them he wouldn't be in it. And I wouldn't have Mulari in mine either as he averages 40 odd against Aus.

howzthat

Cricket Spectator
Surely Akhter deserve to be in the playing 11 , can't think of many other pacers that can give hard time to Australia other than Akhter

Mr Mxyzptlk

If we're talking about performance against Australia, what about Dillon? Yes he probably wouldn't make a first XI but he's a very capable back up in case of injury.:)(Although he is currently injured come to think of it)

Anyway, my point is that on a very poor tour overall for WI last time they were in Australia, Dillon did pretty well until he got injured. He took 20 wickets I think and got Mark Waugh every time out I think. That surely deserves some merit.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
16 Wickets at 29.93 on that tour, 19 at 31.84 against the Aussies in his career. Not bad, not bad at all.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Well I was off by a couple of wickets but consider the cricumstances and compare his figures to practically any other West Indian bowler. You have to look at quality not quantity. I think Dillon showed alot of confidence and self belief.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
Well I was off by a couple of wickets but consider the cricumstances and compare his figures to practically any other West Indian bowler. You have to look at quality not quantity. I think Dillon showed alot of confidence and self belief.
I agree, that's not a bad average against such strong opposition, especially when his team lost every Test by quite a margin...