• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Guardian (UK) rates the world's best 11 to take on Australia

wahindiawah

Banned
Originally posted by marc71178
Are we basing this on ability or performance against the Aussies - I cannot believe anyone would not select Murali if they're playing 1 spinner, let alone 2!
Well you don't want Bhajji because the team won't be playing in India, and you have objection to Murali's inclusion because of his past poor performance, then where does it leave us??

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He had an objection to Murali's inclusion?
I thought he was saying that he WOULD include Murali.

wahindiawah

Banned
Oops, my mistake, a lot of people are of the view that Murali shouldn't be included in World 11 against Aus coz he has a very poor record against them, thought he was saying that!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
Gibbs
Vaughan
Kallis
Tendulkar
Lara - look at the records
Flower A (wk)
Chanderpaul - a heck of a batsman
Pollock (capt.) - fine captain in my opinion
Streak - an honest trier on a weak team
Bond
Muralitharan

12th Man - Hussain or Sarwan
Substitute waterboy - good ol' Ajit
Nice to see someone selecting Heath Streak! One of the most under-rated bowlers in the world and a damn useful batsman, not to mention a fine outfielder...and he has had to captain his country too :wow:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by wahindiawah

Oops, my mistake, a lot of people are of the view that Murali shouldn't be included in World 11 against Aus coz he has a very poor record against them, thought he was saying that!
Yeah he averages 40 odd with the ball against them...that is why I would have used Vettori and Harbajan, a leftie and a righty, both of who have done well against the Aussies...

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
why the hell would you pick an englishman in the world XI

mine would be

Jayasuria (c)
Attapattu (or gibbs for OD games)
Tendulkar
Lara
M Jayawardene
J Kallis
A Flower
S Pollock
S Mushtaq
S Bond
M Murilitheran

i got 2 spinners in there and jayawardene and Kallis for pace bowling

tight decision between flower and Sangakarra - Sangakarra has never player a test Vs Aus so its hard to pick

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
A few years ago I recall Heath Streak being one of the quickest bowlers around, but these days he kind of slowed down.

I guess amidst the shambles of Zimbabwe cricket they've had two diamonds in the rough...Andy Flower & Heath Streak.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by jaspalsinghrana
Originally posted by age_master
To provide some laughter:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Or maybe because he scored 177 against Australia...go on, how many openers have done that lately against Australia?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
1 good innings does not make a goo player

if your scoring consistantly you would more than likey be a good player, Haden, ponting

vaughn made 177 and has dont not much else

here rae his stats

not especially consistant vs Australia is he
and also he hardly has a good FC average for a star test player

then you could look at someone like Gary kirsten
he averages 34 but has played 18 (vaughn has played 3) matches and is fas more consistant

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
1 good innings does not make a goo player

if your scoring consistantly you would more than likey be a good player, Haden, ponting

vaughn made 177 and has dont not much else

here rae his stats

not especially consistant vs Australia is he
and also he hardly has a good FC average for a star test player

then you could look at someone like Gary kirsten
he averages 34 but has played 18 (vaughn has played 3) matches and is fas more consistant
Yes but Vaughan was run out for 9 which didn't help. He has a poor FC average but he averages 49 in Test Cricket so his FC average means crap. Anyway he has scored 3 150+ innings, 1 innings doesn't make a player? What about averaging damn near 50 and playing those 3 innings? One against the best team in the world? He is a class player now. Just accept it.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Astle, Fleming, Parore & Vincent all did it to Australia in one innings..although not to the same extent Vaughan did.

Astle did get to 150 however.

nehrafan

Banned
Well you do need comical entertainment don't you? I mean Moore survived as JB all those years even though he never looked like a spy, thanks to some comical stuff!

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
yeah rik vaughn cant average 50 in county cricket - am i the only one around here who sees a problem with that

aussies go over ther and average 60+, if heyden went over there the way hes playing at th e moment he could emulate bradmans scores and average and if vaughhn cant even aerage 40 in that there must be something wrong

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by wahindiawah
Originally posted by marc71178
Are we basing this on ability or performance against the Aussies - I cannot believe anyone would not select Murali if they're playing 1 spinner, let alone 2!
Well you don't want Bhajji because the team won't be playing in India, and you have objection to Murali's inclusion because of his past poor performance, then where does it leave us??
I think you misinterpreted my post - I was asking what basis for selection of this side is.

Personally I would go for Muralitharan as the spin option (unless we can have MacGill?!)

chris.hinton

International Captain
My 11 would be (Not in order)

Gibbs
Vaughan
Kallis
Lara
Tendulkar
Flower
Inzerman-ul-haq
Bond
Pollock
Vertotti
Muril

12th man : Darren Gough
other players Kaneria, Hussain, Ntini

[Edited on 5/12/2002 by chris.hinton]

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
In all honesty we are one of the top 4 or 5 nations - after Aus and SA, there's a group including us, Ind and Pak who are all fairly close IMO.

So that may be why?

You seem obsessed with Sri Lankans in that side Age, why is that?