• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting - better ODI or Test player?

Matt79

Global Moderator
I think he's actually slightly underrated in ODIs - which given he's widely held to be a great ODI player is saying something.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's almost impossible for a batsman who's good at both to be as good at ODIs as he is at Tests, same way it's impossible for a good fingerspinner to be anywhere near as good as a good seamer.

Matt79

Global Moderator
It's almost impossible for a batsman who's good at both to be as good at ODIs as he is at Tests, same way it's impossible for a good fingerspinner to be anywhere near as good as a good seamer.
And yet Ponting goes closer than anyone in recent memory...

And you mean wrist-spinner, not seamer...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's almost impossible for a batsman who's good at both to be as good at ODIs as he is at Tests.
I don't know about that. I think it'd be almost impossible for him to be perceived that way, but I don't think it'd actually be that hard for him to be so. Ponting is one such example IMO. He averages significantly more in tests than he does in ODIs - but that is to be expected given the nature of the games. He's proven himself in ODIs in all conditions and is, without much dispute other than from diehard Pietersen and Hussey fans, the best ODI batsman in the world at the moment. Despite his test achievements, he still hasn't really proven himself in India or in bowler-friendly conditions in general really, and his number one standing in that form is actually a lot more debatable in my opinion (retirement of Lara making it less so though). There's also his captaincy, which adds to his worth as a player - and that is far better in ODIs than it is in tests as far as I'm concerned. He'll be regarded as a better test player by most because:

a) It's taken more seriously generally.
b) It's easier for a good batsman to rack up big numbers in tests, even if doing so is of less significance than what said batsman does in ODIs.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't know about that. I think it'd be almost impossible for him to be perceived that way, but I don't think it'd actually be that hard for him to be so. Ponting is one such example IMO. He averages significantly more in tests than he does in ODIs - but that is to be expected given the nature of the games. He's proven himself in ODIs in all conditions and is, without much dispute other than from diehard Pietersen and Hussey fans, the best ODI batsman in the world at the moment. Despite his test achievements, he still hasn't really proven himself in India or in bowler-friendly conditions in general really, and his number one standing in that form is actually a lot more debatable in my opinion (retirement of Lara making it less so though). There's also his captaincy, which adds to his worth as a player - and that is far better in ODIs than it is in tests as far as I'm concerned. He'll be regarded as a better test player by most because:

a) It's taken more seriously generally.
b) It's easier for a good batsman to rack up big numbers in tests, even if doing so is of less significance than what said batsman does in ODIs.
What I meant was there's the chance for batsmen to achieve far, far more in Tests than there is in ODIs. Not only can you average far higher, you can score far more runs even in fewer innings.

Therefore, for me, a batsman who's good at both will almost inevitably do more to credit himself in the longer game.

That may not be entirely what Matt79 means, and if so I've done a Australia-2003-2007 again.

Ponting has undoubtedly done superbly for himself by the standards of both games.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I would say Tendulkar (in his prime) was as good as, or better in ODI than in Tests.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Apart from the "who are you to say sumate like that" bit... no way IMO.
Well, I don't much rate ODIs but I can accept that Tendulkar was great in the format. And his records are quite amazing, with 41 centuries....the next highest is something like 28. I think a case can definitely be made that he was a better ODI player than a Test player IMO.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Tendulkar's a significantly better ODI than test batmsan IMO. Totally agree with SS. I'd also point out Hussey and Pietersen as more "current" examples of players who are successful in both forms but whose achievements in ODIs are far more notable at this point in time.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Tendulkar's a significantly better ODI than test batmsan IMO. Totally agree with SS. I'd also point out Hussey and Pietersen as more "current" examples of players who are successful in both forms but whose achievements in ODIs are far more notable at this point in time.
Bit harsh on Hussey there IMHO. Admittedly he's still really only just beginning his test career, but it's been freakishly successful thus far.

open365

International Vice-Captain
I'm suprised by the pretty conclusive assesment in this thread that he's better at tests, when i saw the title i couldn't make up my mind which he is better at.

And i would agree with SS that Tendulkar is a better ODI player than test player.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, I don't much rate ODIs but I can accept that Tendulkar was great in the format. And his records are quite amazing, with 41 centuries....the next highest is something like 28. I think a case can definitely be made that he was a better ODI player than a Test player IMO.
Tendulkar's not even the best ODI player of his generation - there were times in his Test career where he was streets ahead of everyone else, even Lara and Stephen Waugh.

I'm none too concerned about number of centuries, TBH, anyone can score centuries if they bat at the top of the order and play countless hundreds of games. Sure, Tendulkar did it better than almost anyone in the modern ODI era, but I don't think he did it anywhere near as well as he batted in Tests 1990-2002.