• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bradman's Ultimate XI

xanderbiscuits

U19 12th Man
This article is about Bradman's Ultimate XI he chose before he died

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/sports_talk/1488965.stm

Barry Richards - South Africa
Arthur Morris - Australia
Don Bradman - Australia
Sachin Tendulkar - India
Gary Sobers - West Indies
Don Tallon - Australia
Ray Lindwall - Australia
Dennis Lillee - Australia
Alec Bedser - England
Bill O'Reilly - Australia
Clarrie Grimmett - Australia
12th man:
Wally Hammond - England

But as the article says there is thought that it is a fake.
What is your opinion on the team?
Fake/not fake
Good team/great team/ultimate team
In your opinion how many players from the more modern game would displace members of this team?

neville cardus

International Debutant

Don Bradman - Australia
Sachin Tendulkar - India
Don Tallon - Australia
Ray Lindwall - Australia
Alec Bedser - England
12th man:
Wally Hammond - England

Fake/not fake
In your opinion how many players from the more modern game would displace members of this team?
I have the book Bradman's Best and do not feel that there is anything at all to suggest that it is a fake. The author, Roland Perry, one of many Bradman biographers (although he is most certainly not my favourite), spent a great deal of time in The Don's company and, indeed, quotes from the numerous interviews that formed the basis for the selection and book. I have read plenty on Bradman's judgment of the players of his times, and this book seems to be fairly consistent with that. I seem to recall that it was actually Hanif Mohammed (not, incidentally, in the eleven) who claimed that it was a fraud. It's a pity that Bradman asked for it to be published posthumously.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There was an interview with Perry on the ABC last week focussing mainly on the retirement of Brian Lara.

In the interview, he claimed that Bradman couldnt split Lara and Tendy but plumped for the latter because he didnt want too many left-handers in the team

In respect of the Don's team, and recognising that it was selected in the late 90s, IMO the last 7 in the lineup shouldnt be there

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
At least Don had seen all those he selected playing. Difficult to say that of those who want old legends removed.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I have the book Bradman's Best and do not feel that there is anything at all to suggest that it is a fake. The author, Roland Perry, one of many Bradman biographers (although he is most certainly not my favourite), spent a great deal of time in The Don's company and, indeed, quotes from the numerous interviews that formed the basis for the selection and book. I have read plenty on Bradman's judgment of the players of his times, and this book seems to be fairly consistent with that. I seem to recall that it was actually Hanif Mohammed (not, incidentally, in the eleven) who claimed that it was a fraud. It's a pity that Bradman asked for it to be published posthumously.
Gavaskar actually IIRC. His comments on the issue, it must be said, smacked of sour grapes. Having read the book, I'm positive its genuine.

The team itself is what it is: all judges are biased to some degree - especially former players, and Bradman showed that he was no more exempt from having a bias towards players he played on the same team as, and opponents he played against, than any other judge. Its inevitable - watching someone from the stands its always going to look easier than when you're in the middle - that leads you to include someone like Bedser, great though he was, ahead of someone like Marshall.

The only aspect I'd quibble with within his team is that I think he's got too many bowlers in there - I'd have made Grimmett 12th man and have Hammond in the 11, out of the players he's listed here.

neville cardus

International Debutant
Would you agree, Perm, that the book might just as easily be called Roland Perry's Best? I have read many of his offerings over the years and have usually come away feeling terribly flat and unfulfilled afterwards. Bradman's Best, however, was more than half-decent.

Matt79

Global Moderator
His biography on Keith Miller is head and shoulders the best of his cricketing biographies, otherwise, I can see what you mean to an extent.

Matt79

Global Moderator
i mention Perm in my signature, and he seemed to be talking to me, so I'm guessing that's it.

neville cardus

International Debutant
His biography on Keith Miller is head and shoulders the best of his cricketing biographies
Perry's all-but-Bradmanesque offering on the Don did not impress me at all. I understand that there were plenty of errors in the Miller book...

archie mac

International Coach
Perry's all-but-Bradmanesque offering on the Don did not impress me at all. I understand that there were plenty of errors in the Miller book...
There were some in the Miller book nothing major just some sloppy fact checking

I thought it a very good read, easily the best Perry book

Don Bradman - Australia
Sachin Tendulkar - India
Don Tallon - Australia
Ray Lindwall - Australia
Alec Bedser - England
12th man:
Wally Hammond - England

Fake/not fake
Richie Benaud's alltime XI is 10 times better than this one:)