• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good is Simon Jones

Bob Bamber

U19 12th Man
Now he had two exeptional games during the 2005 Ashes. But I think since then people have been expecting him to come back and perform. Just wondered what you guys thought. I think hes a really good bowler ,but I get the feeling that people have overrated him slightly , looking for a saviour for Englands poor bowling.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
He stepped up when it mattered most & played a crucial part in English cricket's greatest triumph in the past two decades so it's perhaps only natural he might be slightly overvalued in some quarters.

What is safe to say tho is that he's a sight better than Plunkett, Mahmood, Lewis, Anderson, Uncle Tom Cobleigh & all...

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
He swings it at pace and with pretty good accuracy. Even if he doesn't discover quite the level of form that he did in the Ashes he will still be one of Englands best bowlers.

Nishant

International 12th Man
he is a decent player TBH...he should walk into the england team as long as he hasnt become drastically wayward. He played when it really mattered, which is more than i can say for some 'legends' anyway.....so id rate him for that!

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Now he had two exeptional games during the 2005 Ashes. But I think since then people have been expecting him to come back and perform. Just wondered what you guys thought. I think hes a really good bowler ,but I get the feeling that people have overrated him slightly , looking for a saviour for Englands poor bowling.
TBH, I think we just don't know because, unfortunately he has been injured so often. Has great potential and his ability to swing the ball is great. Although we'll see how much he swings it now the XXX mints have been banned formt he change rooms!!!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He swings it at pace and with pretty good accuracy. Even if he doesn't discover quite the level of form that he did in the Ashes he will still be one of Englands best bowlers.
If there's one thing he's not it's accurate. He never has been. He was impossibly dangerous in those 2 Tests Bob mentions because of the amount of swing he could generate.

In answer, I never thought much of Jones until those 2 Tests in 2005 (or more accurately 2 innings, since he did nothing in the second-innings at Old Trafford and was injured after 4 overs at Trent Bridge). So I just wait to see whether those were flashes in the pan or a pointer to further development.

His injuries have been a real shame because even before 2005 he was, as DB says, a touch better than the Plunketts of this World.

Bob Bamber

U19 12th Man
I think that he should be in the side. But I think everyone is expecting miracles. And to be honest I dont think that hes going to bring that. In the right conditions , he can be dangerous.

It was the whole Fletcher thing blaming the Ashes 06/07 loss on Missing Trescothick , Giles , Vaughan and Jones. Jones wouldn't have gotten anything from those conditions.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
We don't know that. But we do know that he would almost certainly have done better than Anderson and Mahmood, both of whom were complete wastes of space.

Injuries cost Fletcher his job TBH.

FBU

International Debutant
We don't know that. But we do know that he would almost certainly have done better than Anderson and Mahmood, both of whom were complete wastes of space.

Injuries cost Fletcher his job TBH.
I am sure we can get Ealham into the side. 8-)

simmy

International Regular
Quality performer. We missed him badly.

Adds a competitive edge to the side as well.

I for one can't wait to see the poor bugger turn his arm over again.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
He stepped up when it mattered most & played a crucial part in English cricket's greatest triumph in the past two decades so it's perhaps only natural he might be slightly overvalued in some quarters.

What is safe to say tho is that he's a sight better than Plunkett, Mahmood, Lewis, Anderson, Uncle Tom Cobleigh & all...[/QUOT

TBH it's pretty harsh you saying that Lewis and Anderson are at pretty much the same level as Mahmood and Plunkett. Lewis and Anderson are pretty good bowlers IMO especially in OD cricket.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
This is quite possibly a question we'll never be able to answer with any certainty. There's no doubting his talent ability to bowl well, but due to his injuries, just how good his career could/would have been will never really be known I fear. All good test bowlers are capable of perfoming exceptionally, but the difference between just being a good bowler and being in the top echelon of bowlers in your time is consistency. Jones proved against best team in the world that he has what it takes as a bowler, but it must be taken into context. It was still only one series - one series in a career that has been fairly poor excluding it. It was also at home in helpful conditions for his bowling, and it was also as part of a performing, effective attack to back him up with the team on a role.

He has the ability to bowl brilliantly, no doubt. But so do lots of bowlers. Doubts over his consistency, his ability away from home and how he'd fare in a weaker attack or in poor conditions for his bowling will never be removed unless he can string together a year or two or consistent performances without falling injured - something I'm not sure he can do. Even if he does come back from his latest injury, there's no certainty that he will ever fully reach the standard he set himself - and there's no real way of knowing what his career would have been like without his injuries.

That's the grand scheme of his career though in comparison to other bowlers. In terms of his selection, there's no doubt in my mind he should be in the England side if he's completely fit and shows any signs of form early in the county season.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
This is quite possibly a question we'll never be able to answer with any certainty. There's no doubting his talent ability to bowl well, but due to his injuries, just how good his career could/would have been will never really be known I fear. All good test bowlers are capable of perfoming exceptionally, but the difference between just being a good bowler and being in the top echelon of bowlers in your time is consistency. Jones proved against best team in the world that he has what it takes as a bowler, but it must be taken into context. It was still only one series - one series in a career that has been fairly poor excluding it. It was also at home in helpful conditions for his bowling, and it was also as part of a performing, effective attack to back him up with the team on a role.

He has the ability to bowl brilliantly, no doubt. But so do lots of bowlers. Doubts over his consistency, his ability away from home and how he'd fare in a weaker attack or in poor conditions for his bowling will never be removed unless he can string together a year or two or consistent performances without falling injured - something I'm not sure he can do. Even if he does come back from his latest injury, there's no certainty that he will ever fully reach the standard he set himself - and there's no real way of knowing what his career would have been like without his injuries.

That's the grand scheme of his career though in comparison to other bowlers. In terms of his selection, there's no doubt in my mind he should be in the England side if he's completely fit and shows any signs of form early in the county season.
Can't add anything more to what Prince EWS has said, tbh. Top post and sums up my thoughts on the subject very well. :)

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain

What is safe to say tho is that he's a sight better than Plunkett, Mahmood, Lewis, Anderson, Uncle Tom Cobleigh & all...
I might be reading too much into this but I resent that slightly. Lewis is a vastly more skillful bowler than the likes of Plunkett, Mahmood etc. He's been consistently one of the best bowlers in England for many years and doesn't deserve to be put into that category.

Edit

First class stats last season

Lewis 11 matches 48 wickets at 22.70 econ 3.38 sr 40.2.

Last edited:

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
I'd proberley rate Jones as 7/10
I don't really see how you can give him a rating other than specific series. 2005 Ashes 9/10 but he's not ever bowling for long enough for us to able to make any kind of overall judgment on him.

luffy

International Captain
I don't really see how you can give him a rating other than specific series. 2005 Ashes 9/10 but he's not ever bowling for long enough for us to able to make any kind of overall judgment on him.
I just guessed tbh.