Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 43

Thread: How good is Simon Jones

  1. #1
    U19 12th Man
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    218

    How good is Simon Jones

    Now he had two exeptional games during the 2005 Ashes. But I think since then people have been expecting him to come back and perform. Just wondered what you guys thought. I think hes a really good bowler ,but I get the feeling that people have overrated him slightly , looking for a saviour for Englands poor bowling.

  2. #2
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    44,946
    He stepped up when it mattered most & played a crucial part in English cricket's greatest triumph in the past two decades so it's perhaps only natural he might be slightly overvalued in some quarters.

    What is safe to say tho is that he's a sight better than Plunkett, Mahmood, Lewis, Anderson, Uncle Tom Cobleigh & all...
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

    - As featured in The Independent.

    "The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

  3. #3
    Hall of Fame Member age_master's Avatar
    Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    15,777
    He swings it at pace and with pretty good accuracy. Even if he doesn't discover quite the level of form that he did in the Ashes he will still be one of Englands best bowlers.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

  4. #4
    State Captain Nishant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    london
    Posts
    1,722
    he is a decent player TBH...he should walk into the england team as long as he hasnt become drastically wayward. He played when it really mattered, which is more than i can say for some 'legends' anyway.....so id rate him for that!


  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Perm
    Posts
    8
    Pretty ****house.

  6. #6
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    41,248
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bamber View Post
    Now he had two exeptional games during the 2005 Ashes. But I think since then people have been expecting him to come back and perform. Just wondered what you guys thought. I think hes a really good bowler ,but I get the feeling that people have overrated him slightly , looking for a saviour for Englands poor bowling.
    TBH, I think we just don't know because, unfortunately he has been injured so often. Has great potential and his ability to swing the ball is great. Although we'll see how much he swings it now the XXX mints have been banned formt he change rooms!!!
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

    "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

  7. #7
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by age_master View Post
    He swings it at pace and with pretty good accuracy. Even if he doesn't discover quite the level of form that he did in the Ashes he will still be one of Englands best bowlers.
    If there's one thing he's not it's accurate. He never has been. He was impossibly dangerous in those 2 Tests Bob mentions because of the amount of swing he could generate.

    In answer, I never thought much of Jones until those 2 Tests in 2005 (or more accurately 2 innings, since he did nothing in the second-innings at Old Trafford and was injured after 4 overs at Trent Bridge). So I just wait to see whether those were flashes in the pan or a pointer to further development.

    His injuries have been a real shame because even before 2005 he was, as DB says, a touch better than the Plunketts of this World.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  8. #8
    U19 12th Man
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    218
    I think that he should be in the side. But I think everyone is expecting miracles. And to be honest I dont think that hes going to bring that. In the right conditions , he can be dangerous.

    It was the whole Fletcher thing blaming the Ashes 06/07 loss on Missing Trescothick , Giles , Vaughan and Jones. Jones wouldn't have gotten anything from those conditions.

  9. #9
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    We don't know that. But we do know that he would almost certainly have done better than Anderson and Mahmood, both of whom were complete wastes of space.

    Injuries cost Fletcher his job TBH.

  10. #10
    FBU
    FBU is online now
    State Vice-Captain FBU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,096
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    We don't know that. But we do know that he would almost certainly have done better than Anderson and Mahmood, both of whom were complete wastes of space.

    Injuries cost Fletcher his job TBH.
    I am sure we can get Ealham into the side.

  11. #11
    International Regular simmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Kent, England
    Posts
    3,039
    Quality performer. We missed him badly.

    Adds a competitive edge to the side as well.

    I for one can't wait to see the poor bugger turn his arm over again.

  12. #12
    International Captain Pup Clarke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    6,067
    [QUOTE=BoyBrumby;1172017]He stepped up when it mattered most & played a crucial part in English cricket's greatest triumph in the past two decades so it's perhaps only natural he might be slightly overvalued in some quarters.

    What is safe to say tho is that he's a sight better than Plunkett, Mahmood, Lewis, Anderson, Uncle Tom Cobleigh & all...[/QUOT

    TBH it's pretty harsh you saying that Lewis and Anderson are at pretty much the same level as Mahmood and Plunkett. Lewis and Anderson are pretty good bowlers IMO especially in OD cricket.
    Proud member of the Twenty20 is boring society


    E-Mail - liamhowgate@yahoo.co.uk
    MSN - liamhowgate@hotmail.com

  13. #13
    International Captain Pup Clarke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    6,067
    Quote Originally Posted by FBU View Post
    I am sure we can get Ealham into the side.

  14. #14
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,384
    This is quite possibly a question we'll never be able to answer with any certainty. There's no doubting his talent ability to bowl well, but due to his injuries, just how good his career could/would have been will never really be known I fear. All good test bowlers are capable of perfoming exceptionally, but the difference between just being a good bowler and being in the top echelon of bowlers in your time is consistency. Jones proved against best team in the world that he has what it takes as a bowler, but it must be taken into context. It was still only one series - one series in a career that has been fairly poor excluding it. It was also at home in helpful conditions for his bowling, and it was also as part of a performing, effective attack to back him up with the team on a role.

    He has the ability to bowl brilliantly, no doubt. But so do lots of bowlers. Doubts over his consistency, his ability away from home and how he'd fare in a weaker attack or in poor conditions for his bowling will never be removed unless he can string together a year or two or consistent performances without falling injured - something I'm not sure he can do. Even if he does come back from his latest injury, there's no certainty that he will ever fully reach the standard he set himself - and there's no real way of knowing what his career would have been like without his injuries.

    That's the grand scheme of his career though in comparison to other bowlers. In terms of his selection, there's no doubt in my mind he should be in the England side if he's completely fit and shows any signs of form early in the county season.
    ~ Cribbage

    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

  15. #15
    Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    15,694
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    This is quite possibly a question we'll never be able to answer with any certainty. There's no doubting his talent ability to bowl well, but due to his injuries, just how good his career could/would have been will never really be known I fear. All good test bowlers are capable of perfoming exceptionally, but the difference between just being a good bowler and being in the top echelon of bowlers in your time is consistency. Jones proved against best team in the world that he has what it takes as a bowler, but it must be taken into context. It was still only one series - one series in a career that has been fairly poor excluding it. It was also at home in helpful conditions for his bowling, and it was also as part of a performing, effective attack to back him up with the team on a role.

    He has the ability to bowl brilliantly, no doubt. But so do lots of bowlers. Doubts over his consistency, his ability away from home and how he'd fare in a weaker attack or in poor conditions for his bowling will never be removed unless he can string together a year or two or consistent performances without falling injured - something I'm not sure he can do. Even if he does come back from his latest injury, there's no certainty that he will ever fully reach the standard he set himself - and there's no real way of knowing what his career would have been like without his injuries.

    That's the grand scheme of his career though in comparison to other bowlers. In terms of his selection, there's no doubt in my mind he should be in the England side if he's completely fit and shows any signs of form early in the county season.
    Can't add anything more to what Prince EWS has said, tbh. Top post and sums up my thoughts on the subject very well.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

    Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.


    Check out this awesome e-fed:

    PWE Efed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Jones dropped for Read
    By Steulen in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 04-08-2006, 12:49 AM
  2. Geraint Jones : has he got enough chances
    By dips_december in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 11-07-2006, 09:55 PM
  3. Things you're good at/bad at
    By Barney Rubble in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 131
    Last Post: 09-07-2006, 10:43 PM
  4. **Dev League Season 7**
    By Mr Mxyzptlk in forum CW Development League
    Replies: 2692
    Last Post: 09-11-2004, 03:12 PM
  5. Simon Jones
    By Langeveldt in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-06-2003, 06:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •