Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How good is Simon Jones

U19 12th Man

How good is Simon Jones

Now he had two exeptional games during the 2005 Ashes. But I think since then people have been expecting him to come back and perform. Just wondered what you guys thought. I think hes a really good bowler ,but I get the feeling that people have overrated him slightly , looking for a saviour for Englands poor bowling.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    He stepped up when it mattered most & played a crucial part in English cricket's greatest triumph in the past two decades so it's perhaps only natural he might be slightly overvalued in some quarters.

What is safe to say tho is that he's a sight better than Plunkett, Mahmood, Lewis, Anderson, Uncle Tom Cobleigh & all...
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    He swings it at pace and with pretty good accuracy. Even if he doesn't discover quite the level of form that he did in the Ashes he will still be one of Englands best bowlers.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

he is a decent player TBH...he should walk into the england team as long as he hasnt become drastically wayward. He played when it really mattered, which is more than i can say for some 'legends' anyway.....so id rate him for that!

Banned
    Pretty ****house.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bamber View Post
    Now he had two exeptional games during the 2005 Ashes. But I think since then people have been expecting him to come back and perform. Just wondered what you guys thought. I think hes a really good bowler ,but I get the feeling that people have overrated him slightly , looking for a saviour for Englands poor bowling.
    TBH, I think we just don't know because, unfortunately he has been injured so often. Has great potential and his ability to swing the ball is great. Although we'll see how much he swings it now the XXX mints have been banned formt he change rooms!!!
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by age_master View Post
    He swings it at pace and with pretty good accuracy. Even if he doesn't discover quite the level of form that he did in the Ashes he will still be one of Englands best bowlers.
    If there's one thing he's not it's accurate. He never has been. He was impossibly dangerous in those 2 Tests Bob mentions because of the amount of swing he could generate.

In answer, I never thought much of Jones until those 2 Tests in 2005 (or more accurately 2 innings, since he did nothing in the second-innings at Old Trafford and was injured after 4 overs at Trent Bridge). So I just wait to see whether those were flashes in the pan or a pointer to further development.

His injuries have been a real shame because even before 2005 he was, as DB says, a touch better than the Plunketts of this World.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

U19 12th Man
    I think that he should be in the side. But I think everyone is expecting miracles. And to be honest I dont think that hes going to bring that. In the right conditions , he can be dangerous.

It was the whole Fletcher thing blaming the Ashes 06/07 loss on Missing Trescothick , Giles , Vaughan and Jones. Jones wouldn't have gotten anything from those conditions.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    We don't know that. But we do know that he would almost certainly have done better than Anderson and Mahmood, both of whom were complete wastes of space.

Injuries cost Fletcher his job TBH.

FBU
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    We don't know that. But we do know that he would almost certainly have done better than Anderson and Mahmood, both of whom were complete wastes of space.

Injuries cost Fletcher his job TBH.
    I am sure we can get Ealham into the side.

Quality performer. We missed him badly.

Adds a competitive edge to the side as well.

I for one can't wait to see the poor bugger turn his arm over again.

International Captain Pup Clarke's Avatar
    [QUOTE=BoyBrumby;1172017]He stepped up when it mattered most & played a crucial part in English cricket's greatest triumph in the past two decades so it's perhaps only natural he might be slightly overvalued in some quarters.

What is safe to say tho is that he's a sight better than Plunkett, Mahmood, Lewis, Anderson, Uncle Tom Cobleigh & all...[/QUOT

TBH it's pretty harsh you saying that Lewis and Anderson are at pretty much the same level as Mahmood and Plunkett. Lewis and Anderson are pretty good bowlers IMO especially in OD cricket.
    Proud member of the Twenty20 is boring society

E-Mail - liamhowgate@yahoo.co.uk
    MSN - liamhowgate@hotmail.com

International Captain Pup Clarke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FBU View Post
    I am sure we can get Ealham into the side.

This is quite possibly a question we'll never be able to answer with any certainty. There's no doubting his talent ability to bowl well, but due to his injuries, just how good his career could/would have been will never really be known I fear. All good test bowlers are capable of perfoming exceptionally, but the difference between just being a good bowler and being in the top echelon of bowlers in your time is consistency. Jones proved against best team in the world that he has what it takes as a bowler, but it must be taken into context. It was still only one series - one series in a career that has been fairly poor excluding it. It was also at home in helpful conditions for his bowling, and it was also as part of a performing, effective attack to back him up with the team on a role.

He has the ability to bowl brilliantly, no doubt. But so do lots of bowlers. Doubts over his consistency, his ability away from home and how he'd fare in a weaker attack or in poor conditions for his bowling will never be removed unless he can string together a year or two or consistent performances without falling injured - something I'm not sure he can do. Even if he does come back from his latest injury, there's no certainty that he will ever fully reach the standard he set himself - and there's no real way of knowing what his career would have been like without his injuries.

That's the grand scheme of his career though in comparison to other bowlers. In terms of his selection, there's no doubt in my mind he should be in the England side if he's completely fit and shows any signs of form early in the county season.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    This is quite possibly a question we'll never be able to answer with any certainty. There's no doubting his talent ability to bowl well, but due to his injuries, just how good his career could/would have been will never really be known I fear. All good test bowlers are capable of perfoming exceptionally, but the difference between just being a good bowler and being in the top echelon of bowlers in your time is consistency. Jones proved against best team in the world that he has what it takes as a bowler, but it must be taken into context. It was still only one series - one series in a career that has been fairly poor excluding it. It was also at home in helpful conditions for his bowling, and it was also as part of a performing, effective attack to back him up with the team on a role.

He has the ability to bowl brilliantly, no doubt. But so do lots of bowlers. Doubts over his consistency, his ability away from home and how he'd fare in a weaker attack or in poor conditions for his bowling will never be removed unless he can string together a year or two or consistent performances without falling injured - something I'm not sure he can do. Even if he does come back from his latest injury, there's no certainty that he will ever fully reach the standard he set himself - and there's no real way of knowing what his career would have been like without his injuries.

That's the grand scheme of his career though in comparison to other bowlers. In terms of his selection, there's no doubt in my mind he should be in the England side if he's completely fit and shows any signs of form early in the county season.
    Can't add anything more to what Prince EWS has said, tbh. Top post and sums up my thoughts on the subject very well.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information