• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England name 25 man summer squad

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Source : BBC Sport

Squad : M Vaughan,J Anderson,I Bell,R Bopara,S Broad,P Collingwood,A Cook,J Dalrymple,A Flintoff,S Harmison,M Hoggard,S Jones,E Joyce,J Lewis,S Mahmood,P Nixon,G Onions,M Panesar,K Pietersen,L Plunkett,M Prior,O Shah,A Strauss,M Trescothick,M Yardy

I mean Onions,Prior and Yardy!!!!.:blink:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Squad : M Vaughan,J Anderson,I Bell,R Bopara,S Broad,P Collingwood,A Cook,J Dalrymple,A Flintoff,S Harmison,M Hoggard,S Jones,E Joyce,J Lewis,S Mahmood,P Nixon,G Onions,M Panesar,K Pietersen,L Plunkett,M Prior,O Shah,A Strauss,M Trescothick,M Yardy

I mean, Dalrymple, Plunkett, Mahmood:blink:

Looks like they're still ignoring Mascharenas and Foster:@

Only one spinner in the squad too, no I don't count Yardy or Dalrymple:wacko:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member

Surprised to see Tres there, he said two weeks ago that he was not going to play for England until at least he could guarantee himself and the team that he would be fine to tour overseas. This must either indicate that he is now fine with such a concept, or no one has informed him that he has been selected…:happy:

Scaly piscine

What's wrong with Onions exactly or are you just generally clueless?

England should get rid of Graveney ASAP anyways.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
So do we think it's a shootout between Nixon and Prior for the keeping position? Obviously they could pick someone from outside the 25, but you wouldn't expect it for the first Test...

Who of these have central contracts?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Whose Sajid Mahmood been sleeping with? For **** knows how this guy keeps getting selected. I know his got 'pace' (86mph:-O ) but you can not suggest to me his young anymore his 25 and his been smashed in pretty much every country in international cricket.

David Graveney should have been sacked or did the right thing and stepped down after the World Cup.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
So do we think it's a shootout between Nixon and Prior for the keeping position? Obviously they could pick someone from outside the 25, but you wouldn't expect it for the first Test...

Who of these have central contracts?
Considering they wanted to go out of the 30 for the World Cup, clarity or indeed logical really does not go with the selectors and the sides they select.

England must have a concealed quota system, one in which the directives is to pick ****e cricketers.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Out of interest (I'm not specifically disagreeing with you), who would you pick instead?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I wasn't exactly expecting a revolution, but Jesus that's so conservative & unimaginative. 8-)

Onions the only player we've not previously had a look at & even he's been in squads before now.

If this is for tests & ODIs Benning, Loye, Trott & Pothas all have genuine cause for grievance. Assuming the latter two are now qualified as Poms, of course.

grecian

Marcus is one of the 12 contracted cricketers, so I wouldn't get too excited about him being in the squad. It is a long summer after all. Personally I hope they let him play a bit of cricket in the less-pressurised county game, and call for him against the Indians, if needed.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Out of interest (I'm not specifically disagreeing with you), who would you pick instead?
Trott and then you debate a couple of more marginal cricketers the likes of James Benning, Mal Loye et cetera but Trott should be England's number three (in ODI cricket).

open365

International Vice-Captain
Mistake from the selectors imo.

Not sure how this is handled every summer, but i think it's the wrong attitude to select a joint squad when we should be keeping the two teams as seperate entities as far as possible imo.

No idea why yardy's been kept in there, his batting imo just isn't good enough even if he plays at 8 and bowls(which he isn't very good at anyway).

Scaly piscine

I wasn't exactly expecting a revolution, but Jesus that's so conservative & unimaginative. 8-)

Onions the only player we've not previously had a look at & even he's been in squads before now.

If this is for tests & ODIs Benning, Loye, Trott & Pothas all have genuine cause for grievance. Assuming the latter two are now qualified as Poms, of course.
What do you expect when Graveney is still there? He's mediocrity personified and has no track record at all for being able to recognise talent.