• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Would you tour Zimbabwe?

Would you tour Zimbabwe at the moment?

• Total voters

Matt79

Global Moderator
Ignoring whether the ICC will decide, or not decide, to remove the requirement for teams to tour Zimbabwe, would you personally go? If not, would it be for security reasons, moral reasons, or both?

Personally, I think I'd follow MacGill's example last time Australia were to tour and declare myself unavailable on moral grounds. If I did so, I'd be disappointed if it was held against me later, but prepared to wear it if that's what happened.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Funnily enough I went to Zimbabwe for a weekend break last weekend.

Very enjoyable it was too. :)

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
No -on both grounds plus the fact that the team is crap anyway. PS -I'm prettuy certain Flintoff and Harmison didn't go on our last trip there for moral reasons although it was said at the time they were "resting"

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Security I guess.

Why aren't you allowed - made up a dirty limerick about Mugabe?
Not completely dis-similar actually. I have a press-related ban, despite never writing anything about the Zimbabwean team aside from on a couple of forums. Mugabe reads cricketweb evidently..

Somehow I have doubts over whether it really is a press-related though - my connection with Zimbabwe is quite strange. There's some evidence to suggest I may have been born there, despite my parents' insistance that they've never been there.

pasag

RTDAS
Wtf? How on earth did you get a press-related ban?

Edit. Actually if you're uncomfortable talking about it, don't worry.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Wtf? How on earth did you get a press-related ban?

Edit. Actually if you're uncomfortable talking about it, don't worry.
I wouldn't have a clue. I don't even have a passport to my knowledge. I'd be interested to see if Chubb for example would allowed into the country.

Not only do I have a press-related ban though - but they made a special effort to let me know that I'd been given one, despite not making any indication to suggest I planned on going there. I probably shouldn't discuss it here though ITBT.

They may regret the decision though because I'm quite convinced that I'm a better bowler than this guy! :p

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Those who voted 'No - On Moral Grounds' - So you will play Zimbabwe elsewhere, but not in Zimbabwe ?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Lovely country.. The nicest evil dictatorship I've ever seen, which probably makes everything even more tragic..

I'd go to Zimbabwe, for two reasons

1/ I don't understand the security issue... If you keep away from sensitive areas and don't say or do anything stupid, it's actually a fairly safe country to be in (as a tourist).. I'd feel less threatened walking around Harare than I would many many other cities in the world.. Most of them being in my own back yard

2/ Not playing Zimbabwe on "Moral Grounds" is such a load of hogwash IMO... Mugabe and his evil regime do not care about morals, he would laugh in your face if you mentioned western "morals".. Not touring wouldn't register on his or anyones conscience whatsoever, and the Zimbabwe situation is beyond saving, especially when it comes to sanctions.. Nobody cares about Zim like they cared about South Africa I'm afraid..

Zims are among the warmest and most hospitable people in the world, who've had their lives shot to pieces.. I'd go there and play cricket if it brightened someones day