• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Would you tour Zimbabwe?

Would you tour Zimbabwe at the moment?

• Total voters

Matt79

Global Moderator
Those who voted 'No - On Moral Grounds' - So you will play Zimbabwe elsewhere, but not in Zimbabwe ?
Yeah, I would prefer not to play them anywhere I suppose. I think however, there is a distinction in that going there as part of a national team has more of a legitimising message towards the government than allowing them tour your country, and even less of an effect than playing them in an multi-national tournament like the WC. It might be a symbolic difference only, but hey, a boycott like this is pretty much symbolic in the first place.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Fair point actually, particularly in SA. Although as undesirable as some of the political interference in other boards may be, no cricketers have yet worn armbands to mark the death of democracy in any country except Zimbabwe.
I have an interesting story about that incident told to me by Zim cricketers but here is neither the time or the place. Suffice it to say that maybe the gesture wasn't so...Ive already said too much.

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
isn't he a president or is he really a dictator? I don't have a clue about zimbabwe politics ...
A president, democratically elected in elections that are totally controlled by rigging, intimidation etc..

The intimidation in Zimbabwean politics even extends to South African universities I'm ashamed to say.. And my university is just as spineless as our government in kicking it out..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, I probably just shouldn't have said anything really. I couldn't resist though given the thread topic. I'll have to put an end to it now though, sorry.
TBH, though, it is a fascinating topic. I must see if I can persuade you to go into greater detail with me on MSN sometime, I quite see why you can't post about it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You're a simple fellow I know Bennett - just trust us that sometimes things are what we call "complicated"...

Chubb

International Regular
As far as I know, seeing as I've never tried, I'm not banned from going to Zimbabwe, and I most certainly would go there if I had the money to. I don't think security is an issue, since I believe (certainly it always was the case) that Zim is a safe country to walk around in, compared to South Africa, though of course like all Africa there are places you shouldn't go. What's different is that you are basically not allowed to oppose the government.