• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Would you tour Zimbabwe?

Would you tour Zimbabwe at the moment?

• Total voters

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well there are several ways to look at it. Firstly I absolutely think that Zimbabwe should be excluded from international cricket until there's some real proof that there's no political interference in the selection of the team. However, given the ICC's abject lack of stones on the issue, one's team could very well end up touring. I'm not altogether sure I'd like to leave my team-mates to face something I would not. Ironically I'd probably be more likely refuse to tour if there were no security issues & it was transparent that my objection was a moral one rather than a concern for my personal safety.

Of course all that assumes I’m an international cricketer already. The real answer is actually that were I selected to play for England I'd crawl over crushed glass to do it, regardless of venue! :p

Langeveldt

Soutie
Well there are several ways to look at it. Firstly I absolutely think that Zimbabwe should be excluded from international cricket until there's some real proof that there's no political interference in the selection of the team.
Show me a cricket side, bar England, Aus, SL and NZ, where there is no political interference in the selection of a team.. You'd have a very small cricketing fraternity if you did that..

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Show me a cricket side, bar England, Aus, SL and NZ, where there is no political interference in the selection of a team.. You'd have a very small cricketing fraternity if you did that..
Fair point actually, particularly in SA. Although as undesirable as some of the political interference in other boards may be, no cricketers have yet worn armbands to mark the death of democracy in any country except Zimbabwe.

open365

International Vice-Captain
I was about to say no then i read Hingston's post and changed my mind.

It'd be nice to think not touring a country for moral grounds would affect the way the country runs itself, but it's not going to. If i could brighten up a few people's days by playing cricket (especialy if they are being oppressed by the regime in their country) and signing a few autographs i would be do it.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
I would probably tour, i think the security issues are non-existant - international teams would be kept very safe. As for moral grounds i think it would be unfair to take objections about the dictatorship out on the players.

FBU

International Debutant
Lovely country.. The nicest evil dictatorship I've ever seen, which probably makes everything even more tragic..

I'd go to Zimbabwe, for two reasons

1/ I don't understand the security issue... If you keep away from sensitive areas and don't say or do anything stupid, it's actually a fairly safe country to be in (as a tourist).. I'd feel less threatened walking around Harare than I would many many other cities in the world.. Most of them being in my own back yard

2/ Not playing Zimbabwe on "Moral Grounds" is such a load of hogwash IMO... Mugabe and his evil regime do not care about morals, he would laugh in your face if you mentioned western "morals".. Not touring wouldn't register on his or anyones conscience whatsoever, and the Zimbabwe situation is beyond saving, especially when it comes to sanctions.. Nobody cares about Zim like they cared about South Africa I'm afraid..

Zims are among the warmest and most hospitable people in the world, who've had their lives shot to pieces.. I'd go there and play cricket if it brightened someones day
Me too.

Natman20

International Debutant
Send a 'C' team to make it competitive. I wouldn't tour there if I was a cricketer. The government makes (slight) profits from the cricket which they use to do bad things.

Craig

World Traveller
Not completely dis-similar actually. I have a press-related ban, despite never writing anything about the Zimbabwean team aside from on a couple of forums. Mugabe reads cricketweb evidently..

Somehow I have doubts over whether it really is a press-related though - my connection with Zimbabwe is quite strange. There's some evidence to suggest I may have been born there, despite my parents' insistance that they've never been there.
What the hell?

You were either born there or you weren't :blink:

I'm sure you could get one - they hand them out like they're going out of fashion evidently.
If you don't mind me asking how did you find out you had a press related ban?

Clarence

U19 Cricketer
Prince, it would be great if you could explain this interesting situation in a little more detail here...I am intrigued.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Prince, it would be great if you could explain this interesting situation in a little more detail here...I am intrigued.
Now we are all hooked to this page.

Come on what was it. Test tube baby, frozen embryos, sperm banks or something more spiritual.

Just kidding Prince.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haha, I probably just shouldn't have said anything really. I couldn't resist though given the thread topic. I'll have to put an end to it now though, sorry.