• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England's ODI lineup after World Cup

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dav assures us he's injured, which is a relief as if he were being left-out in favour of Steven Croft, Steven Mullaney and Oliver Newby I might just give-up following this game.

DB? Wanna do the Rafter to my Agassi again?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Dav assures us he's injured, which is a relief as if he were being left-out in favour of Steven Croft, Steven Mullaney and Oliver Newby I might just give-up following this game.

DB? Wanna do the Rafter to my Agassi again?
Cricinfo seemed to believe Smith was dropped after showing a lack of 'rhythm'. Which is surprising for supposedly he was a stand out bowler in the winter.

Although, considering Mahmood was selected whilst playing for Lancashire's seconds, Smith probably has a great chance.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Congrats on the 4 grand, BTW.

I'd really, really not want to see Smith picked for England while in the Seconds but if he seriously has been demoted below all 3 said bowlers, well...

Let's just hope he "regains rhythm" sometime soon. 8-)

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
batty, ball, middlebrook, udal ,dalrymple and yardy were about as good as it got in limited overs domestic cricket last year for spinners. sadly we are hardly spoilt for choice.
Let Vaughan bowl, bat him at ten.

In regard to Yardy (Richard's point), his novelty factor of bowling 65mph flat soon wore off . Play him as a (very slow) medium pacer and his effectively finished, Pakistan made the grave mistake of playing for turn.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Congrats on the 4 grand, BTW.
I'd really, really not want to see Smith picked for England while in the Seconds but if he seriously has been demoted below all 3 said bowlers, well...

Let's just hope he "regains rhythm" sometime soon. 8-)
Cheers. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In regard to Yardy (Richard's point), his novelty factor of bowling 65mph flat soon wore off . Play him as a (very slow) medium pacer and his effectively finished, Pakistan made the grave mistake of playing for turn.
Not sure. Yardy actually did turn it in those 2 Pakistan games - more than he's ever done in his life.

I too don't believe he'll make anything as a ODI bowler, but the fact remains that we don't have the quality to go discarding players with his record - it was only 1 bad game he had after all. You never know, miracles do happen every now and then.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Tom Smith was left out of the first championship game (he played seconds that week - Newby by accounts had been impressive on preseason tour) but since then he's been out with a stomach injury.

If he wasn't injured he would surely have been given a game in either the UCCE game last week or the Second XI game which was played at the same time.