• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is it time for Gilchrist to give up ODIs?

open365

International Vice-Captain
What about this Luke Ronchi guy? He's a keeper isn't he? I've heard great things about him.

I hope he does decide to retire after this WC, he hasn't been performing at his best and i think it'd be best for him and the team to move on.

adharcric

International Coach
Look, don't get me wrong this guy has been our greatest wicket keeper/batsman in our ODI history, but really what reason does he have to play on after the World Cup? He has said himself he is not going to be around for the next one. I wouldn't be saying this if he was scoring hundreds everywhere like Matthew Hayden, but the results just haven't been there.

Given that he is a constant complainer about the compact schedules for the Australian team and the hectic nature of next summer it might be time for him to hand over the reigns. Haddin is a more than capable successor and Gilchrist could possibly extend his test match career.

I think, especially if Australia win yet another World Cup it would be a good stage for Gilchrist to hang up the gloves in ODIs.
Spot on. On another note, the "he should play if he wants to" responses are getting old. Rather obvious, isn't it?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
What about this Luke Ronchi guy? He's a keeper isn't he? I've heard great things about him.

I hope he does decide to retire after this WC, he hasn't been performing at his best and i think it'd be best for him and the team to move on.
Very good prospect but hasn't really performed consistently yet.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
yea no issue IMO if Gilly retired from ODI's after this WC. Haddin is more than just a good replacement at this stage of his career.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Spot on. On another note, the "he should play if he wants to" responses are getting old. Rather obvious, isn't it?
Doesn't make it untrue. If Gilly feels he can contibute, he should be given the chance to do so, especially considering he's still in excellent touch. Its the least that could be expected for all his years of service to Australian cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Be interesting to see what would happen if Gilchrist threw out a bombshell and announced he was retiring from all cricket (or internationals at least) and the likes of Haddin would step up in the longer game.

Unlikely, but who is to say it won't happen, especially with Damien Martyn, Shane Warne, Glenn McGrath and Justin Langer all going (or in the case of McGrath, it will soon be)?
Would be perfect IMO - but I don't expect it.

jammay123

State 12th Man
gilly should retire when gilly wants to retire he should be able to have another aussie summer to play at his home ground