• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Arnold to retire after World Cup

Nishant

International 12th Man
Its quite annoying how so many ppl are quitting at evrything after the WC...but a fair decision TBH...he is aging and probably wont play in the nxt WC. He has been pretty decent for SL, but not spectacular by any means, though.

Matt79

Global Moderator
We're fast getting to the point where you could make a decent XI out of the players retiring after this WC:
Arnold, McGrath, Lara, Kumble, Inzi, Jayasuriya (I think that's been announced yeah? Or presumably will be after the final), Bradshaw...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Arnold is overrated in ODIs IMO.

Very, very awkward way of swinging the bat making him near enough useless at the end of the innings. Terrible position for him to bat in.

He's the very opposite of Bevan - a typical example of how not-outs can make a player look better than he is. You can count the number of games he's made a serious difference to on not many hands.

adharcric

International Coach
Honestly, I couldn't care less about guys like Arnold and Bradshaw retiring. Good on them for forging successful careers though. :cool:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Never understood the name, either.

Why on Earth is it spelt Russel when every single other person I've ever heard called the name spells it Russell?

Mind, I don't know many Lankans.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Never understood the name, either.

Why on Earth is it spelt Russel when every single other person I've ever heard called the name spells it Russell?

Mind, I don't know many Lankans.
Possibly has something to do with Scottish plantation owners from the eighteen, nineteenth century in Ceylon. Few Scots in this period within historical text take the name Russel instead of Russell, its merely a variant which seemingly stuck.

tooextracool

International Coach
Arnold was definetly a very good player who was somewhat underrated. He often fluctuated between shocking poor form to being brilliant, but either way he deserved his place over Tillekratne Dilshan and the like that continue to grace SL cricket

Lostman

State Captain
I am not his biggest fan right now but he was a very important part of SL's lower order from 99 to 03.

he deserved his place over Tillekratne Dilshan and the like that continue to grace SL cricket
I am sorry but Dilshan is a much better player than Arnold.

tooextracool

International Coach
How on earth is someone who doesnt even average 30, and whos recent record is equally dismal supposed to be better than Arnold? Dilshan has always had potential in test match cricket, and even there he hasnt exactly delivered, but in ODIs hes been nothing short of pathetic for years and hes played series after series for SL.

His strong technique has made him somewhat overrated IMO and plastered over his lack of runs.