• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fleming steps down as OD captain

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Great, now I've got to see Vettori captain the Black Caps. Fleming, possibly the greatest ODI tactician ever?

Mister Wright

Seems a strange decision to retire the OD captaincy and still want to play, but I guess it allows him to mentor a captain. He is 34, so will probably retire from OD cricket in a year or two.

Flem274*

123/5
Great captain, great player, great man.

He is getting alot of unfair **** on raidiosport though, Doug Golightly is a complete tosser.

I hope he is'nt remembered as a better captain than player, though you could understand why he would be.

He's been great for New Zealand cricket and any knockers deserve to have Shane Bond, Brett Lee, Shoiab Aktar, Shaun Tait and every fast bowler alive bowl beamers at them.

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
who becomes captain now ??

Oram ??
Veto ??
Mcullum ??

I would LOVE to see Mcullum as captain

Perm

It will be Vettori I'd think, although I think Fulton would be a much better choice.

Natman20

International Debutant
who becomes captain now ??

Oram ??
Veto ??
Mcullum ??

I would LOVE to see Mcullum as captain
It will be Vettori going by the fact that he has captained quite a bit recently in Fleming's absence. I think the criticism of Flemings ability in recent times has driven him to this but the reality is that he hardly did to many things wrong. If thats the way he wants to enjoy the game more then im all for it. Vettori said once that he very much based his captaincy on that of Fleming's after playing in his squad for so long. It will be interesting. Fleming obviously gives the hint that they want more tests as well.

cbuts

International Debutant
How can you say he is a great captian?
Under him we are no better than we were, or have ever been. He is soooo overated.

Perm

How can you say he is a great captian?
Under him we are no better than we were, or have ever been. He is soooo overated.
Worst post, Fleming is one of the best, if not the best captain we have ever had.

Perm

he averages 31 in ODI cricket - lets be honest, he shouldnt be in the team
He actually averages 32 and has scored the most ODI runs for New Zealand with over 8000 of them, he can't be that bad.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Fleming, possibly the greatest ODI tactician ever?
Not even close, Martin Crowe was a better captain for New Zealand and I wont bother mentioning the captains from other countries. Actually I will say that he doesn't come within a superman's breath of Imran Khan as ODI captain. Imran was in a league of his own. I'm happy because I like Vettori and think he'd make a great ODI captain - a better one than Flem. Vettori's had moments where he's stood up and done things Flem couldn't, like in the Chappell/Hadlee series a year or two ago when NZ were out of the game and Vettori nearly made his first ODI century. He carried the team that day and played the knock Fleming couldn't.

I always thought Fleming's captaincy was overrated though. I'll never forget the time when South Africa were leading New Zealand 4-0 in an ODI series in South Africa. Fleming was in the slips and caught Graeme Smith and proceeded to mock him by imitating his celebrations. Just his poor attitude at the end of that tour, in interviews etc, I thought was pretty poor. Not even Ricky Ponting would have been so bitter. Then there was the game in that series where he deliberately slowed down the over-rate to try and tie the game, since 20 overs hadn't passed and a storm was coming. It was the 20th of April the other day, 4-20, so we all know where he can find solace for losing the world cup.

But yeah, horribly overrated. When Graeme Smith gets the better of you as captain you know you're not up there.

Last edited:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Great captain, great player, great man.

He is getting alot of unfair **** on raidiosport though, Doug Golightly is a complete tosser.
That's no surprise - Golightly is the biggest waste of airwave space I've ever had the displeasure of hearing. And this is coming from someone who utterly despises breakfast radio.

deeps

International 12th Man
He should be dropped without the captaincy. Isn't good enough imo as a batsman alone. Should remain in the test side however.

Athlai

Not Terrible
He should be dropped without the captaincy. Isn't good enough imo as a batsman alone. Should remain in the test side however.
Who'd replace him?

Maybe a top four of:
Vincent
?Fulton
Taylor
?Marshall

Still good enough to be in the side IMO. But we should definitely start considering new options.

Flem274*

123/5
ODI side

Vincent
Patel :cool:
Fulton
Taylor
Fleming
Styris
McCullum
Oram
Vettori
Bond
Te Ahu Davis

I'd like to see Davis get a run. From what i've heard he's reasonably quick but has injury problems. Funny that.

Perm

ODI side

Vincent
Patel :cool:
Fulton
Taylor
Fleming
Styris
McCullum
Oram
Vettori
Bond
Te Ahu Davis

I'd like to see Davis get a run. From what i've heard he's reasonably quick but has injury problems. Funny that.
No, the whole team is screwed up. Davis has a bit of pace, that's about all he has going for him.

tooextracool

International Coach
I think a NZ side without Franklin and Gillespie is always better for it. Regarding Fleming, great captain ordinary player.