Page 95 of 113 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,425 of 1683
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: You know what really grinds my cricketing gears?

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    You are singling out some **** behaviour and calling it **** while excusing other similar behaviour. That is also fine as that's based on your taste. But you can't take a high horse approach when you are excusing some of the poor behaviour yourself.

And not acknowledging good performance is not disrespectful to anyone and is any day better that booing or abusing which is positively disrespectful.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    fixed
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    what a redundant post
    Wapocs
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    You are singling out some **** behaviour and calling it **** while excusing other similar behaviour. That is also fine as that's based on your taste. But you can't take a high horse approach when you are excusing some of the poor behaviour yourself.

And not acknowledging good performance is not disrespectful to anyone and is any day better that booing or abusing which is positively disrespectful.
    No because booing can often be pantomimeesque, and it's all about time and place. Ot's like sledging really, I think Spark already said this. Play hard but when all is said and done, acknowledge your opponent.
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    kinda agree... but the attitude that "i have paid for my ticket; so i will do whatever i want" makes one a dickhead. even i pay for my ticket and i like to slap those idiots who come only to boo... can i? it is always an embarrassment to be caught in the middle of asian cricket fans. sri lankans are by and large okay. but the rest are as stupid as english soccer fans.
    So you want to slap people because they did nothing to you personally but because you disagree with them? Doesn't look like they are the bad guys to me now.

Quote Originally Posted by Shri View Post
    So you want to slap people because they did nothing to you personally but because you disagree with them? Doesn't look like they are the bad guys to me now.
    Sounds to me you that you have no idea that Bagapath was using a little bit of licence there.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Wapocs

No because booing can often be pantomimeesque, and it's all about time and place. Ot's like sledging really, I think Spark already said this. Play hard but when all is said and done, acknowledge your opponent.
    Acknowledging your opponents? Opponents are not entitled to respect, they have to earn it. Look at the 98-99 Ind-Pak test at Chennai, that performance deserved an ovation and the players got one. Ponting has not put up a performance worthy of respect in India and I am happy about crowds booing him till the day he earns their respect.

Ankit's Cevno-ing hard in here.

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    What I'm saying is that not paying any respect to the opposition, even when they do well or when the match is over, just makes you a ****
    I don't think anyone's ever said otherwise.
    Exit pursuing a beer

Quote Originally Posted by wellAlbidarned View Post
    I don't think anyone's ever said otherwise.
    Two posts above you.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Ankit's Cevno-ing hard in here.
    Yeppers.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

Two posts above you.
    Booing the opposition =/= being rude. Everyone participates enthusiastically if one guy does it.
    He's not saying that booing the opposition is acceptable in every situation, he's just saying (as I'm interpreting it anyway) more or less the same as me: booing a team/player at a game doesn't automatically make you a ****, it's all about context.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Acknowledging your opponents? Opponents are not entitled to respect, they have to earn it. Look at the 98-99 Ind-Pak test at Chennai, that performance deserved an ovation and the players got one. Ponting has not put up a performance worthy of respect in India and I am happy about crowds booing him till the day he earns their respect.
    I was talking generally, but what about the WC QF? No?

Quote Originally Posted by wellAlbidarned View Post
    He's not saying that booing the opposition is acceptable in every situation, he's just saying (as I'm interpreting it anyway) more or less the same as me: booing a team/player at a game doesn't automatically make you a ****, it's all about context.
    Of course not. What I'm talking about is the specific situation where the context is "opposition player has done really well and scored a century" or "your team has won and opposition captain is doing the post-match".

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    I was talking generally, but what about the WC QF? No?
    Or the hundred he made two tours ago...

It is, as wellAlbi said, the context we are talking about. By Shri's logic Dravid ought to have been booed off here this Summer because he did **** all. Laxman too. Let alone Sehwag - he was beyond woeful.

The point which was originally made was about a failure to acknowledge the achievements of opposing players. It shows a lack of class imo, not to acknowledge them. I don't like it when my own team fails to clap an opponent's hundred, and I don't like it when supporters don't either.

Of course not. What I'm talking about is the specific situation where the context is "opposition player has done really well and scored a century" or "your team has won and opposition captain is doing the post-match".
    Booing a victorious opposing captain during his post-match speech makes you a **** for sure. Not so fussed about it happening when someone scores 100 tbh. Sure, it's pretty dickish but while the game's still on people are entitled to have a bit of a jab at the opposition if they're not exactly crowd favourites. I'm not saying I'm one of those people, but I don't mind other people doing it, as long as it's in moderation.

Generally I find that players that aren't obviously ****s themselves get good opposition crowd response to their milestones anyway, which is pretty much all of them.
    Last edited by wellAlbidarned; 17-04-2012 at 01:32 AM.

Page 95 of 113 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast

Thread Information